Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 04-10-2010, 06:18 AM
pete917
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ddubois
Well, its 'done'. I'm sure I'll find little things to tinker with over the summer while I'm enjoying driving it. Got it out on the road the last week between snowstorms. Very happy with the end product and it's driving/running very well with everything that was done over the winter. A lot of little things done like refinishing signal housings, oil tanks, heat flapper boxes, horns, straightening/repairing door pockets, etc. in addition to the major work:
- Original silver color to bare metal. Refinished wheel wells to satin black
- New fenders
- H4s, new signal lens'
- Stripped, polished and repainted wheels (now I know why refinishers charge so much)
- New body rubber/seals
- New velour carpet from Tony at Autobahn (highly recommended)
- New Corbeau GTS II leather/suede seats. Keeping the excellent originals to stay with the car. I'm very happy with these seats. Very comfortable, perfect height for me (5-11), and they smell nice
- Refinished visors (Vinyl Specialties) to match the new headliner
- Tach re-damped by NH Speedo
- Fixed the odometer (the usual re-crimping the pot metal gear on the shaft)
- All gauges cleaned (inside glass) and they all work/light (including clock)
- Neatrix spring plate bushings
- Weltmeister front sway bar (incredible improvement)
- Set ride height to Euro spec (now I know why someone laughed at my long ago comment about a "simple rear torsion bar adjustment")
- Cleaned and repainted gas tank
- Opened trans and flipped synchros, replaced seals, etc. Shifts very smooth now
- New clutch/PP/TOB/cable
- Replaced/refinished everything external to the engine and new gaskets everywhere. The only oil leak left is a very minor one on the case seam (next winter with the rebuild). New oil lines and dipped/cleaned oil tank.The engine runs noticeably cooler now after cleaning fins, ducting, etc.
- New SSIs (I now have heat!)
- PMO water shield air cleaners (nice sound)
- Rebuilt alternator

Well anyway, you get the idea, everything on the car was either replaced or refinished since I purchased last summer. For the most part it's a new car and drives like it. I kept everything original with the exception of seats, H4s, and front bumperette deletes (basically removed the ugly USA add-on crap). It was a fun winter project as I did all the work myself with the exception of paint.
Lastly, I have the Zeniths dialed in now and they are running perfect. I ordered a Innovate LM-1 AFR meter with RPM to do the final jetting and I'm looking forward to tinkering with that.

Here's the photos...

That looks amazing. Great work!
Old 04-10-2010, 08:41 AM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Job well done!
Old 04-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Project 951
Instructor

Beautiful 911.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Verde
Advanced

Simply beautiful car. Great reading the whole thread. And I really respect the ability and craftsmanship of the owner. Wonderful.

Last edited by Verde; 04-10-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:14 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Really Really Nice!
Old 04-10-2010, 06:31 PM
ddubois
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for the comments. It is a lot of work and nice to get positive feedback.
A few people have questioned the seat selection. I agree that the Corbeau seats don't look period correct, and believe me I debated this one for a while. I decided that since I plan to drive the car, wanted something comfortable, and didn't look forward to sweating on correct vinyl seats, I opted to put the money for restoring the originals toward something newer and more comfortable (plus lighter). I am keeping the original seats that are in excellent condition (albeit unsupportive and broken down), for the next owner when the time comes, which won't be any time soon.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Verde
Advanced

I well understand. You built this car to be a (albeit period-correct) driver. Bad seats can take the fun out of it. I'm a believe in making if drive-able and easily period-reversible. Having a bit of a back problem, I'm all for getting the best seats you can and parking the old ones. Swap them if you are showing or selling the car, but enjoy.
I'm going through a bit of mental turmoil myself with a like-new 930 (1988) I recently purchased. It's impeccable with only 9K miles (I don't have the skills of the OP) but am concerned that the A/C will make it less drive-able in the Bay Area summertimes. I read that there are upgrades to the unit, but really want to keep the car completely stock (OK, I put in a lightweight battery but kept the old one). Hmm, what to do??
Old 04-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

First, dispose of your old battery-it is worthless. Next, unless the car has 5k miles and you paid $100k, upgrade the a/c (properly), it will be a plus.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:54 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Verde
I well understand. You built this car to be a (albeit period-correct) driver. Bad seats can take the fun out of it. I'm a believe in making if drive-able and easily period-reversible. Having a bit of a back problem, I'm all for getting the best seats you can and parking the old ones. Swap them if you are showing or selling the car, but enjoy.
I'm going through a bit of mental turmoil myself with a like-new 930 (1988) I recently purchased. It's impeccable with only 9K miles (I don't have the skills of the OP) but am concerned that the A/C will make it less drive-able in the Bay Area summertimes. I read that there are upgrades to the unit, but really want to keep the car completely stock (OK, I put in a lightweight battery but kept the old one). Hmm, what to do??
Yeah those bay area summers are murder
Old 04-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I was thinking the same thing.....
Old 04-18-2010, 07:16 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Doug - the car looks amazing. I am really impressed and look forward to seeing it on the road this summer. Congratulations.

-Blake
Old 04-18-2010, 11:02 PM
markaria1
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent work!!! I wish I had your time/skills!
Old 04-19-2010, 01:01 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

amazing job! That car is gorgeous!
Old 06-19-2011, 06:36 PM
ddubois
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, quite a few updates and finishing touches over the winter. I found some excellent condition wide tensioner idlers and turbo tensioners for a fraction of the cost of oil pressure tensioners. A quick purge with fresh oil and they are solid. I preferred these over the oil fed.
My original fuel pump worked fine but I was nervous about it failing on the road, so I installed a Carter 4070 in the smugglers box and an additional filter between it and the tank. I was able to tap into the original wiring without cutting anything so it can always be returned to original. There were some convenient threaded studs in the body where I mounted the pump so I didn't have to drill any holes. The Carter is supposed to put out the perfect 3.5 psi, but I found it was high so I stayed with a pressure regulator and added a fuel pressure gauge in the engine compartment. After tediously setting the float bowls and some more experimenting with new air correctors and mains using the LM-1 AFR meter, I have the carbs running well.

The addition of a MSD Digital 6AL, MSD High Vibration Blaster coil and Magnecor wires made a huge difference in response and idle. It also seemed to make the carb tuning much easier. Again, I was able to tap into the original wiring with spade connectors and nothing was cut so the original CDI can always be re-installed. The new digital version is slightly thinner and it has a single connector for everything so I was able to make a bolt on extension to the electrical panel to mount it in the original CDI location. After a little head scratching and research I figured out I need to drive the tach at the wire that outputs from the intermediate unit and not the one that outputs from the distributor and inputs to the intermediate unit. I'm a little worried about the Marelli being the weak link in the ignition system now with the higher energy spark. I have a spare distributor, cap and rotor in case it fries. In the meantime if anybody has a suggestion for a more robust distributor I would like to hear it. I keep my eyes open for a Bosch and I may call Jerry Woods to see what they recommend.
Lastly, I removed the rain hat air cleaners and replaced them with the stock air cleaner to eliminate the drone sound. It also allows the hot air supply to the carbs which seems to help with cold idle.

The biggest change is the interior and I decided to do what I should have done originally. I sold my new Corbeaus and took my original seats to Autobahn and Tony convinced me to go with the houndstooth. The vinyl was in perfect condition so he salvaged that and simply cut in the houndstooth. After he rebuilt the seats they are like new, very comfortable and I'm really pleased with the look and having the interior back to original. I also added new retractable seat belts for ease and safety.

Some of the finishing touches were the Weltmeister decal and the conformance sticker in the door jamb which I was able to source from some guys on the 911S Registry.

So the car is done for now and I'm driving it regularly. I'm thinking about a long road trip soon-maybe Rennsport Reunion at Laguna Seca?

Quick Reply: My garage find