Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Question on severe smoking on 81 911 SC (novice pilot error)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:34 AM
AllenF
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on severe smoking on 81 911 SC (novice pilot error)

Hi Folks,

I am the proud and embarrased owner of a recently purchased, one owner 81 911 SC with just over 100k on it. It seemed as though the oil level was low and I pulled the dipstick and noticed that the level wasn't reaching the stick. Oddly, the dipstick said "930" which I thought was odd, but perhaps it's unrelated. Anyway, I added oil to get it on the stick, but it took a lot "seemed to me" and then it developed a leak on the driver's side. I never drive the car, and probably put 100 miles on it over the last year. Anyway, I added oil to it again this past week, and I suspect some oil may have run into the intake pickup tube... really odd positioning for that tube considering German engineering. So it's smoking like a factory... and I hope someone can suggest a course of action. There's a few other things I need to address too, but for now...any help is apprecitated. Here are some questions....

Can I run carb cleaner through that intake tube to clean out the oil? I wiped it out, but I am sure there's oil all the way down...

Can I remove and spray off the 02 sensor? Or should that be necessary?

What's with the oil level/stick issue? Do I have the wrong dipstick?

What's the best oil for these rigs? This is one of several cars in my driveway, and I have learned the hard way about choosing oil.

Any tips are appreciated. I need to source a replacement dash cover and a rear package tray as well, otherwise, after a complete refinish, this car will look great. It's a please to drive, and I just love the look of the 911.

Thanks,

Allen F
Old 05-19-2009, 12:58 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

You need to read your manual:

You check oil with the car warm and running on a level surface. You want the level in the middle of the low and high marks.

As to the dipstcik, the part number may indeed be a 930 number, many are.

You don't state where you are, which may effect your oil choice. Take the time to fill in the details of your location and your car specifics in your signature. But, it's tough to go wrong with 20/50 oil, probably non-synthetic, as that is what 98% of pre-'89's run. As to brands, that is the subject of many debates. I run Brad Penn.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:59 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Oh, and I need to be the first to tell you:

POST PICS of your car! We want to see....
Old 05-19-2009, 01:04 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Allen, if it were a family member's car, I'd suggest that they completely drain the oil and start over. Follow Ed's advice re the oil level. The car needs to be completely warm, and the oil needs to be 180F or you will not be able to get an accurate reading.

The 911 was re-designed with 930 parts numbers when it went to 3.0 liter displacement. Before that, they had 901 parts numbers. Your oil filter has a 930 part number as well.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 193 Posts

Ed, I don't think you get a sig anymore until you are a paying memeber. I remember being frustrated by that when they took them away.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:30 AM
AllenF
4th Gear

Thanks for the tips. I will see if I can post some photos. It's a lot of fun to drive. I have a 66 230SL I drive in the summer, but it's a completely different animal than this car. I live in Oregon, and I don't drive it in the winter so 20/50 should be OK.

I will keep you posted on the progress. I figure I will pull the plugs and run some carb cleaner down its throat unless anyone thinks that's too risky.

Allen
Old 05-20-2009, 01:35 AM
madmmac
Instructor

When you do drain your oil, you have one drain on the oil tank and one drain on the sump plate. Be ready for about 10 quarts of oil, or more in your case to come out.

When you fill it back up start with 9 to 10 quarts of oil and drive the car until it is up to operating temperature.....park the car level and let it idle for a minute, then check the oil level while the car is still running..

Welcome...
Old 05-25-2009, 07:04 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....be sure to drive her a while before the oil is checked....I mean,..a good while.,..nice and toasty.

Did you get her cleaned up and readied?

Best,

Doyle
Old 05-26-2009, 01:35 AM
AllenF
4th Gear

Hi Folks,

Yup, overfilled for sure. I drained some out, and will do the full oil change in a few days. I think there's a mixture of 10-30 and 10-40 in there, and it seems to be smoking still but I suspect it's that thin oil perhaps getting by the parts.

Anyway, I will change the oil and report back. I will insert some images too. I have been busy trying to get my 230 SL cleaned up for the season, and slacking on getting to the 911.

Allen
Old 06-09-2009, 02:09 AM
AllenF
4th Gear

Hi Folks,

Just thought I would stop back in to validate the excellent advice. Smoking is gone, and she's happy again. This car is a blast to drive. I have several other collector (and modern) rides but you just can beat the way this car looks and sounds... I would post a photo of it but it looks like I need a site for a link. I will work on it.

Thanks again.

Allen
Old 06-09-2009, 02:41 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Allen, I hope your 911 is ok. Feel free to ask questions, but please do not spray carb cleaner in the Porsche intake. Well, you can spray it at the 230 SL. Also, never spray anything on your O2 sensor.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:11 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,118 Likes on 800 Posts

Allen you don't need a site , just go advanced , scroll down and manage atachments. here you can upload a file directly. Just use irfanview or other program to resize your pic for upload. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Question on severe smoking on 81 911 SC (novice pilot error)