Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I need to re-hash an old topic- air conditioning in a Carrera.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 12:42 AM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I need to re-hash an old topic- air conditioning in a Carrera.

I have an 88 911 Carrera that does not blow cold air. Last year I had the system re-charged with R134A (system was previously converted from R12). The improvement was minimal at best.

Griffiths offers the Kuehl kit with either 1 or 2 added condensers that mount in the driver's side wheel well. The condenser and fan is added in series to the OEM front and rear condensers. But, the price for the kit is far higher than my total installed price budget. I need to keep costs at a reasonable amount.

I am considering buying a current technology condenser and putting it in the same location using the same design concepts. My car has a newer compressor (Denso), but not the newest model rotary piston style. I have barrier hoses. I would add the needed hoses, install a narrow depth fan with associated hardware and needed wiring/relay. I also plan to replace the receiver/drier.

A few questions:

Will a new serpentine design condenser work with 1988 technology? I.e. are the fittings the same, are there any other potential issues to consider? The current condensers are tube and fin style. I would buy an American made condenser over one made in China.

What minimum dimension is best for the air relief area between the condenser and car body?

I know of an online company that offers OEM condenser replacements only. So I would have to select a condenser on a car with the desired size. For example, a 1997-2004 Boxster condenser is available at a slight premium to the other manufacturers. But they have a "block fitting" noted on the diagram in reference to the 2 refrigerant tubes. Does this mean that the 2 tubes fitting are grouped together in one small sized location? Or, does this mean something else? I am unable to observe the a/c condensers in my own '00 Boxster for comparison (they are installed behind a plastic shroud). The company is www.discountacparts.com

Thanks. Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:52 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I don't think a non-911 specific condenser will work, unless you are planning to install one in the bellypan or in the rear wheel similar to the Kuehl. I have 134a, and I can get around 42F vent temps. I have the ProCooler and a stock ND compressor, as well as the stock condenser and evaporator.

I'm intrigued by the desert duty front condenser, but I have seen one blasted pretty good by a railroad crossing. The absolutely most exotic solution that I can think of is to somehow get a 964 condensor to work on a 911, but that is a huge project probably for years down the road when I'm bored and need something to do.

Do you want me to post a pic of the Boxter condenser parts diagram?

The issue I believe is airflow. The condensor should have air forced through it, so sometimes plates and seals are used around the outside edges to seal the condensor against the body.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:52 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,027 Likes on 731 Posts

.. not to mention the duct sizes to the cabin are just not big enough from what I have read to force enough cold air to make it continually effective. Even 42F at the vent is no good if you can't push enough volume of it into the cabin.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:27 AM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a 3 condensor Griffiths system in a 1976 930 and it was awesome, blowing 33 degrees at the vents. We replaced everything except for the interior vents and fan. Big $, but everything fit perfectly and Griffith's answered our few questions on the phone, no problem.

I considered piecing together a system on my own, but I could see that I was going to end up wasting a lot of time and money buying stuff that did not fit or work correctly, and that it was going to be tough getting reliable advice on what works with what. So I decided to do one stop shopping from someone who really knows what he is doing.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 228 Posts

+1 on the Griffith's...seeing 29 degrees our of the vents in the mid-high 80s in humid Florida...I actually turn down the fan and temp selector to about 3/4 to get best performance.Kind of wierd riding in a cab inthe hot and humid and feeling cold and dry inside. Will keepyou posted when it gets into the hgih 90s here as far as performance.

I wrestled with the cost issue but finally decided to go all the way (4 condenser system)...
Old 05-04-2009, 01:39 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
.. not to mention the duct sizes to the cabin are just not big enough from what I have read to force enough cold air to make it continually effective. Even 42F at the vent is no good if you can't push enough volume of it into the cabin.
Amazingly enough, a low blower speed will often yeild better cooling than operating at higher speed settings. The longer the airflow takes to get through the evaporator core the cooler it will become. Additionally since the 911 has no recirculate airflow mode a high blower speed will simply force the "cooled" airflow out of the cabin quickly.

If I wanted to improve the cooling capability of our '88 Special Edition I would be adding a few 12 volt computer cooling fans to force air over the engine lid mounted condensor more consistently.

Last edited by wwest; 05-06-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:44 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

29F vent temps means the evaporator/ EX valve has got to be around 19-20F? Either that, or there is no airflow from the cabin exchaging heat with it? You've got to have some serious condenser area to get that, and a very good evacuation to avoid freezing the exv.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:50 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

... move to Canada ...
Old 05-04-2009, 07:24 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

and give up earthquakes, droughts, merciless heat, Bay Area hippies (even though their cars are cool), and Obama? hmmm....
Old 05-04-2009, 08:22 PM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You would much happier pulling every damned part of the AC out of the car and investing the money you save in two or three ounces of gold.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

. but if you came to Toronto you would have to put up with shoveling snow .. a team that has not won the stanley cup in over 40 years. being taxed every time you breathed , shoveling more snow and having Americans say " eh" to you all the time ..
Old 05-04-2009, 09:02 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
. but if you came to Toronto you would have to put up with shoveling snow .. a team that has not won the stanley cup in over 40 years. being taxed every time you breathed , shoveling more snow and having Americans say " eh" to you all the time ..
Wow Clive you're sounding awfully anti-Canadian...lol
Old 05-04-2009, 11:20 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sig_a
You would much happier pulling every damned part of the AC out of the car and investing the money you save in two or three ounces of gold.
This summer, I'll value my AC more than a mere 3 ounces of gold. We get 110+F degree heat. In July it goes from "Hot" to "Ludicrous Hot". In August it goes to Plaid.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:46 AM
David911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am happy with my kit from RetroAir. Everything stays in the stock location, just works a bit better. I get enough airflow. I have not tried it over 100 degrees though.

David

1988 Carrera
Old 05-05-2009, 08:11 AM
mthomas44
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The key to improved performance in the 911 A/C system is more condenser capacity. Take a look at this rear fender kit offered by this company. You don't mention what your budget is but this kit is well priced at $599.

http://www.allzim.com/acatalog/911_A...it__87-89.html
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: I need to re-hash an old topic- air conditioning in a Carrera.