Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I need to re-hash an old topic- air conditioning in a Carrera.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 03:38 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mthomas, now THAT makes perfect sense. It is away from heat, and will push heat from the cabin to the outside.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:47 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's all about the volumn of air into the cabin, as ice wrote. More than once I was pissed at my AC and use a probe thermometer to measure the degree at the vent. There were times the temp went all the way down to 31-32 degree, my 911. And same time, my lexus has only 38-40 degree but sitting in my lexus was freezing to death, while my 911 is still warm.
Putting hands on the 911's vent, I feel cold, but the coldness doesn't blow far enough. While on my lexus, I don't need to turn it that high. At the vent, it doesn't need to be that cold, but the air blow all the way almost to the rear seat. This makes the cabin feeled totally different.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:05 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For increased volume of interior air flow, remove the bowtie diverter under the dash. It helps a little.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:09 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

I plugged it up to have a little stronger comming to the dash, but not much noticeable. I think if you can have stronger fan blow, and much bigger hoses/vents, then you can compare to the modern cars.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:23 PM
tone40
Racer

Default mthomas44- That is the kit offered by zim, correct?

I am strongly considering it, but I wanted to see more detail. The website photo is limited.

Did you have other issues with your system, or did you just add the condenser? They say that it is supported by the torsion bar tube (which I see in your photo). Was is simple to install?

They say that the new hose needs to be cut to length and crimped. Plus, the older hose from the rear deck to the front condenser may need to be cut and crimped. Does the crimping provide a leak proof installation?

Thanks.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:43 PM
mthomas44
Intermediate

Let me clarify. I did the complete Griffiths Duel Kuehl install last year & I'm VERY pleased with the results. This is my daily driver. The pic I posted was from another Pelican who posted this alternative to the higher priced Griffiths solution on an thread that I posted to chronicle my project entitled "My A/C Upgrade Project Starts Tomorrow". You might take a look and contact JFairman to ask questions about the Zims Kit. His post is on pg 14 here:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...tarts+tomorrow

Mark
Old 05-05-2009, 07:50 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Mark,

I am familiar with JFairman. He is very knowledgeable regarding AC stuff. What I don't like about the mounting behind the rear wheel is that it is so hot there. An infrared thermometer suggests that it gets over 400F degrees there on the hottest days. It just seems that heat will get radiated into the condenser. It just has to.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:19 PM
mthomas44
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rusnak
Mark,

I am familiar with JFairman. He is very knowledgeable regarding AC stuff. What I don't like about the mounting behind the rear wheel is that it is so hot there. An infrared thermometer suggests that it gets over 400F degrees there on the hottest days. It just seems that heat will get radiated into the condenser. It just has to.
Yea, it gets hot back there if no air flow just like the condenser mounted above the engine.....but they have fans mounted to them help with heat exchange and THEY ABSOLUTELY WORK. The only other choices are front fender requiring removal of the windscreen washer resovior or a belly pan unit with no static airfow and reduced ground clearance. Given what happened to me (I'm the RR crossing guy) with the desert duty front condenser, I'm not a fan of reduced ground clearance
Attached Images  
Old 05-06-2009, 03:05 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

OUCH!!! That was the condenser meet railroad tie moment. I still wince when I see that!!!
Old 05-06-2009, 03:24 PM
sobastrace
AutoX

Does anyone have a solution that works at desert temperatures? It was 103 yesterday and will be hotter today and tomorrow, and my A/C is useless. I am having a tough time choosing between the 3 companies that advertise in Excellence. They all take a slightly different approach. I just want to drive the car instead of leaving it in the garage for 4 months a year (where the garage gets to 140+ during the summer)
Old 05-06-2009, 05:36 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

sobastrace,
Do you mean work = work on your car?
Why not get a small window unit AC and install it in your garage? Now you can close the door and enjoy some beer while laying under it.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:23 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Soba, I forget if you still have the R-12. If I were to do mine over again, I'd probably have it charged with Freeze-12, keep the old expansion valve, and install a ProCooler in place of the receiver dryer. That, and a good oil cooler and not parking out in the blazing sun will go a long way.

Yes, it is hot here as well. But it's a dry heat, right?
Old 05-06-2009, 06:28 PM
jwilson95
Racer

I gave up long ago on making my AC work. Just grin and bear the heat or drive it during cooler hours.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:56 PM
sobastrace
AutoX

rusnak, I still have the R-12 and it needs a refill, but I cannot find anyone to do it out here. I have to drive to LA to find someone to put R12 in, but even then, It never really worked. It makes lots of noise, but it does not cool.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:04 AM
Mitch Leland
Advanced

I have an "84" Coupe that lives in the Hill Country outside of San Antonio, Texas where it can get pretty hot. I tackled the air conditioning problem hands on, cherry picked some of the products out there and came up with a good working system. Plenty of cold air, I have to admit that I still on occasion have a problem with my evaporator freezing up.

The one thing to remember is that there are a lot of ways to turn your car into a rolling 4 wheel sub zero refrigerator. A lot depends on how much money and plumbing you want to throw at it.

Here's an article that has been posted on the Pelican website on my installation: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...11_ac_1984.htm

Quick Reply: I need to re-hash an old topic- air conditioning in a Carrera.