Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Need advice: found a '69 911T - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 03:58 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 731 Likes on 358 Posts
Default Need advice: found a '69 911T - what to do?

So this is my "barn find" story:

As many of you know, I own Exclusive Motors here in Charlotte, NC (selling/closing the business btw). Part of the rules to keep your dealer license in NC is you have to go to dealer training each year. Back a few years ago, at class I was sitting there with another guy that sells utility trucks and such, and he said he had an older Porsche in his storage garage. He bought it in 1974 from the first owner, but it had a problem back in 1984 so he parked it and it's been sitting ever since. I was curious, so I told him I'd stop by and see it.

Turns out, it was a '69 T. flat tires, won't start (no kidding) and a bad paint job that was spider cracking everywhere, carpets getting old, etc. ..but NO RUST. And the rest of the interior was pretty much perfect except for the obligitory single dash crack. Seats don't even look like they've been sat in. So I tell him I'll think about it, and I do for over a year.

Then one day he calls me and says he's putting it on eBay if I don't want it...and that he was DRIVING it around yesterday!! I go look at it and sure enough, it runs pretty well. He replaced all the fuel lines, flushed the fuel and oil, new plugs, wires, fuel pump, filters, etc. Everything you're suppose to do. I think it's running on only 4 cylinders, but that could be the old Solex carbs. So I bought it.

That was 18 months ago, and it's been sitting in my garage waiting for me to finish my 914 projects (another long story). Well, they're just about done, so in the coming months it's onto the 911.

So, after all that, here's my question: what does everyone think I should do? My options range from RS clone, to total stock restoration, and everything in between. I don't have the patience to make a concours queen. I want to drive it. Problem is, a T is a bit anemic.

Options I've come up with are:

1) RS Clone with flares and all, engine, suspension, interior, etc. i.e go all out.
2) narrow body with suped up engine, suspension, seats, etc. "R Gruppe" ish. i.e. keep the body stock but make the performance very racey.
3) Just rebuild it back to what it was with a stock 2.0 engine.
4) ???

So, what does everyone think. I know the option has a lot to do with my budget, which at the moment is zero. I'm thinking of Nadine and I doing most of the work ourselves, except for any serious body (flares) or engine (tear down/rebuild) work. We can strip it, replace parts, carpet, suspension, components, etc.

OK, if it were YOU, right now, what would YOU do?

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 04-28-2009, 11:34 PM
jpyles
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is a low-mileage original car with no rust, then I'd keep it close to stock. Does the engine have to be rebuilt? Or can you fix the (major) things that are broken, get it tuned up and running, clean/fix up the interior as best as you can, and just drive it? I think that option will get you the most enjoyment per dollar spent. And you can always choose any of your other options down the road.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:51 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would get it running and keep it stock.

then I would put it on the Euro market and cash in big time.

Longhoods are going home in droves right now.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:34 AM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I to would keep it stock, tune it and restore the paint and whatever else needs attention. Then you have two options, sell it or keep it and enjoy it. The old school 911's are more about the style and beauty of driving of a 911 then they are about the power. If your looking for more power then sell it and buy a newer 911, but a nicely restored 911 is a beautiful thing.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:35 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I'd make a slant nose wide body cab.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:15 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

This is a car that you want to drive. I'd make it into a narrow bodied hot rod.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:55 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

R-Gruppe style. I might think about SC/Carrera flares, but no bigger... and a 3.2 in back.

Brett
Old 04-29-2009, 07:36 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 731 Likes on 358 Posts

Just what I thought....any and all suggestions!!

here's the thing: I already drive a 993 as a DD. I own Huey, a 914/6 with a 2.7 that is street legal and a blast to drive. Papa Smurf, Club racer 914/6. so I don't really NEED the 69, but I love the drive of the light early cars.

Problem is.... a '69 T is kind of bottom of the barrel here. If it was a 72/73 E or S, then I can see making is stock because it already has some go. But a 2.0 T?? That's my dilema. My thought is if there is ANY early car that's worth RS cloning, or R-gruppe (or whatever you want to call it), it's a 69T. No matter how nice I restore it, it's still not worth a ton.

Money no object, I like Brett's idea.

I'm leaning toward starting with jplyes idea, then move to earlyapex's idea for the moment. The engine leaks like a sieve - I think it's lost 3-4 qts of oil sitting there. It leaks from just about every seal possible, so it needs to come out and be resealed. That's why I'm thinking of boosting the hp out of it - it's gotta come apart anyway, so it's just the cost of parts, not the labor, as the add.

Or...do I buy/build another engine with all the parts John Forbes and I have from rebuilding other engines and put it in the car, then restore the 2.0 back to stock, and wrap it up for storage if/when I sell it I can sell it as stock...

Unfortunately...I never seem to sell my personal cars. That's why I have too many as it is!!

decisions, decisions....

Last edited by NaroEscape; 04-29-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Minoclan
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Sell it to me for what you paid for it, seriously!

Quick Reply: Need advice: found a '69 911T - what to do?