Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Odd Brake Light Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 01:20 AM
VTCMart
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Brake Light Issues

My passenger side rear tail light is acting odd. Press the brakes and it is not as bright as the driver side. Turn on parking lights, and press the brakes and it does not come on at all. Switched bulbs with driver side, no change. Cleaned connection at bulb and socket with some sandpaper, no change. Took housing out and apart and all wires/connections inside housing seem to be fine. Any suggestions on what to check next appreciated.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:07 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Pete Zimmermann posted about this type of problem IIRC.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:13 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try playing with the bulb with the brakes depressed and see if it will get brighter. I had the same problem on the driver's side. It is a corrosion issue. I believe I also had to bend the tab at the bottom of the socket to get a better contact. Use contact cleaner and dielectric grease. I believe my issue stemmed from the seal on the back side of the housing getting old and deteriorating. This allowed water from the tires to get kicked up onto the housing and leaking in. There is no replacement seal that I could find so I used RTV squeezed into the little gap in the housing and the backer plate. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Odd Brake Light Issues