Introduction of an FNG

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 02:22 AM
sobastrace
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction of an FNG

Hi All,

I have been lurking for a while, as I try to decide what I need to do to my 86 911 that has been well used, and is in need of some tender loving care. I was brought home from the hospital in a porsche, and from 3 days old I have been exposed to Porsches since my father has always owned one. I am fairly mechanically inclined, and I am looking forward to getting to know my car better when I can find time. FOr those things that i cannot find the time, I am hoping that all of you can help point me to some talented people to help with things I don't do (like reupholstering my seats).

I have been searching many threads over the last few months, and I am now planning to use the summer getting some of the projects that need to be done on the car. Thanks all for your future help and patience.

-Sobastrace
Old 04-30-2009, 02:43 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Coachella Valley, CA ain't all that far out in the desert. What color blue have you got? Oh, ya...Wellcome to rennlist. I'm in Rancho Cucamonga.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:32 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Soba, your car looks similar in color to mine and to DB's.

Welcome, and I'm sure you will receive a lot of helpful information. I used World Upholstery a few years ago for my leather sport seats. If you want the absolute best quality, you need to buy the factory foam and have them custom re-fitted. But I found the kits are very good and will save a lot of money.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:36 AM
sobastrace
AutoX

Sorry, Just read my note. It is a 1984 that is slate blue. It was my dads for a long time, but he has not been driving it much. Before that it was owned by one of his best friends that sold it when he moved onto his bout in the carribean. The car has been lowered by Black Forest in San Diego, and it has seen many drivers events which is why the 915 is getting a little touchy in first gear.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:39 AM
sobastrace
AutoX

Rusnak, Thanks for the sugestion, That is one of the first projects (or the A/C since it is getting hot). The leather is worn but okay. The seams are all cracking due to the thread disintegrating. I also need to buy a hi-low light switch as the darn thing started doing the brights only last week. It was that light switch, that made me realize it is time to fix all the little things that have been driving me nuts.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:40 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome sobastrace!
Old 04-30-2009, 11:19 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The high/low lever is a fun little project. Be very careful not to put pressure on the hazzard light switch or it can break - you need to work around it. You might find it easier if you take out the drivers seat.

Some people have been able to get more life out of the switch by bending the contacts. I got another week or so out of mine while I was waiting for the parts order to arrive by zip tying a short piece of a bamboo chopstick onto the light switch lever. You loose high beams, but it works. Chopsticks end up being tapered, so you can get just the right amount of thickness.

Quick Reply: Introduction of an FNG