exhaust too noisy need advices

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 10:05 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry exhaust too noisy need advices

Here it is, at the end of the very first short ride after the winter storage, guess who i see in the mirror a police car.
He stopped me saying that my exhaust system is too noisy. For me it's music but not for him unfortunately.
The policeman was very kind, he was pretty much attracted by the car and asked many questions about it. He knew and i confirmed that the exhaust was'nt stock. He let me go but asked if i was going to do something about it.
I told him that i would do what it takes to get it more quiet. I stayed polite with him and told him that i am the first to applaud when they catch a civic with modified mufflers (muzak) and that i was understanding well.
Before giving your advices, please take a look at my pix to see exactly what i have under that makes so much noise.
I bought the car almost 3 years ago and i did'nt modified anything, it had that exhaust system and K n N air filters.
I compleeeeetly disassembled the car and worked on every part and paid a professional paint job. It was my second project. My 928 beeing my first.
I spent 2 years on this one.
Also i know nothing about tuning cars and performance parts.
I would like to know what are my choices to make it more quiet and drive in peace. Was a 1970 2.2 more quiet than mine when stock? Will i spend money for nothing trying to modify it or getting stock exhaust.
I love it's sound, go to : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pxQK9gumtE

A bit after i met the policeman, i went for a second ride going softly on the accelerator by a secondary road to avoid them and guess what ? The same guy who arrested me earlier, he did'nt stopped me but he showed me to go back home
I knew that i could have this problem one day and it arrived and i don't know what to do. I live in a small place with 6 or 7 police cars and they won't give me loose anymore. I know i can't take out my car as long as i don't do something with the sound. I'm the only one around with a 911 so they spot me easily.

Any advice ?????
Sorry if my text is long but i think that to give detailled explanation gives detailled advices.
Thank's for any help.
Attached Images      
Old 04-18-2009, 10:43 PM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a sick system.

Thinking maybe re-packing the mufflers?
Old 04-18-2009, 11:18 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your car sounds awesome. I'm surprised it's that loud (your car is only a 2.2?), it looks like it should muffle pretty well. Maybe go with a different muffler setup altogether - I like my M&K.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:22 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thinking maybe re-packing the mufflers?
What exactly do you mean by repacking?

It has a pretty sound for a 2.2 has'nt it ?
Old 04-18-2009, 11:35 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mufflers are often packed with sound-absorbing material like fiberglass or steel wool. The material breaks down over time and this makes your mufflers less effective.

And yes, it sounds greater than the sum of its parts!
Old 04-18-2009, 11:58 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank's for the details. I think my 2 mufflers are simply empty. I tought of going to the police and ask if they could give me a reading with their equipment to tell me how much i'm over their noise limit. I'm sure that even if i work on the mufflers, as soon as they'll see me, they will arrest me to check. I'm better work with with them and play fair. But i'm a bit scary that their noise limit is so low that i'm never going to be able to be under even with the stock muffler.
I don't know if it's a good idea.
I like my M&K.
How does it looks like ?
Thank's
Old 04-19-2009, 12:07 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

You can get them through Pelican, for one, or check out mkexhaust.com. The sounds on their site are not very good but here's a couple of youtube vids (both of the same car) that are pretty close. I have the 2-out and love their sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk9ZZYtvMgg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k3Ytj5FCY0
Old 04-19-2009, 12:24 AM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

I like the sound, it sounds like mine but muffled. Mine sounds clearer and probably louder. Probably because of the empty mufflers that i think they are.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:48 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

The 2-outs are fairly loud, especially at WOT. They're louder than they might seem in the vids.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Hooverwi
Instructor

+1 on the MK Exhaust!! I switched over to one and couldn't be happier!!!
Old 04-19-2009, 12:52 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Tell, the cop its a Harley Davidson.
abe
Old 04-19-2009, 02:02 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

That muffler is an ANSA and you have headers which make that system a lot louder. Your mufflers are probably rusted out if the inside's look anything like the outside. M&K is the way to go.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:54 PM
BlackPearl
Racer

I don't know the costs of the M&K, but I'd try going to a dismantler and testing a stock Porsche 2-in/2-out muffler for cheap before spending more $$ on M&K ... but I'm a cheap-dude.

Do you track the car? Could you have a "street" system and a "track" system for your needs? If so, a street system made from a stock muffler with an added outlet welded on the opposite side may be a cool alternative. Looks good, sounds good. It doesn't take that long to swap out mufflers. 6 bolts and a floor jack.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:02 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

The stock 2-out is pretty quiet, so it might be tough to go from his law-breaking exhaust to something fairly subdued and responsible-like.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:03 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I'm afraid you're just going to have to sell it. Its really you're only option.

It didn't sound that loud to me. What are the noise regs? Change the tips to a single outlet. At least it won't look as loud.

Or Supertrapps
http://forums.supertrapp.com/showthr...p?t=301&page=2

Quick Reply: exhaust too noisy need advices