Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

exhaust too noisy need advices

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 01:19 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,120 Likes on 802 Posts

it looks like whatever you do is going to be a custom setup. i would look at taking it to a shop and getting a quote to cut those cans out and put soem type of aftermarket of your choice in. I am sure it will be quiter than it is today , if it will be quiet enough may be the issue.

also elling everyone where you are from May help. if you are outside of the US might influence desisions due to availability
Old 04-21-2009, 12:20 PM
ditch68
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
Tell, the cop its a Harley Davidson.
abe
Abe, sad but true.

I have had several HD Ironhead Sporsters....I never got pulled over on them, though they set off car alarms.

But my 1970 Triumph Bonneville cafe racer with TT pipes, I got harassed constantly. Just plain dumb.

am, your car sounds great.

Jeff
Old 04-21-2009, 04:23 PM
BlackPearl
Racer

Originally Posted by theiceman
it looks like whatever you do is going to be a custom setup...
Based on the photos, it looks like the two-bolt flanges off the headers are the same configuration as a 1974 (or earlier) two-out heat-exchanger system. The flanges have two bolts on each, and the inward curves of the pipes just inward of the flanges indicate this.

If that is the case, I think you could find a '74 muffler at a dismantler's shop ("two in, one out" muffler) and bolt it up for the street (4 bolts at the flanges, two for the straps). If you want a little more flow and "grunt" sound, drill a 2.40" hole in the blanked out side, weld a 2.45" outlet pipe into the whole, and you've got two in - two out exhaust. (The muffler shop charged me $120.00 to saw-cut the hole, weld the factory out pipe on, and paint it flat black.) BTW: I'd bet your back-pressure with two in-two out stock '74 muffler will be very close to the header/muffler system you currently have, unless those cans you have are completely hollow. Just my opinion, and experience.

Best of Luck!
Old 04-30-2009, 10:29 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you guys for all your advices. Sorry i did'nt come back here sooner cause the website did'nt email me i had new answers.
I went at a shop specialized in exhaust systems (if i can call it like that) and the guy is searching for something, i'll have news soon.
My story made him kind of angry, more than me by the way
i'll probably ask to cut and check inside the cans an maybe try to repack first, if possible.
A cop told me that the thing to do to drive in peace is to install the stock muffler and carry a proof that it was Porsche set-up in 1970. But i don't want the sound of a stock 1970
If it gives nothing to repack or if not possible i'll check for your suggestions.
And by the way i'm from Quebec Canada.
Thank's again.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:05 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

packing will help to pleasure your ear but doesn't help much of the loudness level, police's ears. Adding each cherry bombs right before each mufflers? Helps a little bit more, but I doubt that you can get rid the those cops since they are already stick to your back everytime you get out of your garage. I would get a stock muffler and live with it for at least couple months until they forget you are there.
What you can do with stock is adding another port, tip Still look stock to the cops.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:00 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

What you can do with stock is adding another port, tip Still look stock to the cops.
Could you develop a bit on this please?
Unfortunately english is'nt my first language so sometimes i need some more explanations.
Thank's a lot
Old 05-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Batman 357
Instructor

It does not seem loud to me. It might be worth reading the specifics of the local ordinances.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:50 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

What I mean was using stock muffler for the look, but stock muffler won't be lound as you prefer. If you want lound, you can open up another port to the right end of the stock muffler and add a tip at it, meaning drilling hole making it dual exhaust. This will makes your stock muffler lounder and flow a little more free. This way, you'll have a "lound" "stock" muffler. If the cop after you again, you can tell him that it's all stock, just that older 911 is lound.
BTW, English is not my primary language either.

Originally Posted by am
Could you develop a bit on this please?
Unfortunately english is'nt my first language so sometimes i need some more explanations.
Thank's a lot
Old 05-02-2009, 06:20 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

i.e cowhorn style

search here & on Pelican for pics & diagrams of how to do this
Old 05-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Benny771
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just finished repacking mine.
I cut a 8 x 5 hole in the side of the Muff, Packed it with Fiber exhaust packing i got on ebay, quite cheaply.

Not a big task if you got someone to reweld it up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/20-x-...Q5fCarQ5fParts

Thell them you want more and its discount shipping. You will prob. need 3.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Mitch Leland
Advanced

Sounds to me like you're a marked man... you better clean up your act rather than try and push the envelope. I would talk to Ben of M&K and get his suggestions. I have Ben's 1 in, 1 out which has a nice sound, but it's not obnoxious. Maybe for you a 2 in 2 out with a removal plug in the second tip.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:43 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll wait till monday to see what the exhaust guy here has to tell me. And i think i will ask him if he would weld them after repacking. and if it's not more quiet i'll do the stock exhaust thing with another end drilled and welded.
I forgot to say that MY NEAREST NEIGHBOR IS A COP
Old 05-03-2009, 05:10 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

I cut a 8 x 5 hole in the side of the Muff,
Benny could you tell me where exactly you made the hole?
Thank'S
Old 05-07-2009, 03:05 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is it dangerous to make too much restriction by packing the mufflers?
Old 05-07-2009, 11:58 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Horrible luck. I'm sorry you're being picked on by the cops. Mine's a bit loud but so far I've not been hassled.

It wouldn't look the best but there are silencers that can be inserted in the tip. Probably best is to just put on a quieter 2 in 2 out muffler as the others have suggested.

I found this on the internet. I'm not saying I'd use this one but maybe somewhere out there is a silencer that can be inserted in the tip without destroying the look from outside. I just posted the link to show the concept.

Good luck.

http://www.raceinspired.com/ps-6886-...universal.aspx

Quick Reply: exhaust too noisy need advices