Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

For those of you who do your own oil changes...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 12:49 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Buy a dedicated oil drain pan. I have one that holds about 16 qts, is about 24" in diameter and has a pour spout on one end. When you're done, you can easily pour the old oil into 1 gallon plastic milk or water jugs and take it to a recycler. My pan cost all of 8 bucks several years ago.

I've never come close to pulling 12 qts out of my Carrera.

Ditto. Make sure it's the Open Top style, like the coolant catch ones. I've had a green & a yellow one of these. The black ones are usually close-topped with a white screw-in cap. This latter style is NOT for the 911. Too much oil comes out quickly to catch it all, and it'll overflow all over the place right off the bat.

I use a red plastic gas container to haul back to Autozone to dump. The drain buckets pour spouts just fit inside the gas container for drip-free transfer.

I also have never gotten 12 qts. I usually put in 8-9 after a drain, and then add accordingly to full. I usually end up with 10.5 - 11qts to full.

I don't jack either. Buckets slide under. It's very close on the crankcase, but it'll work on mine. Tank's no issue at all.

Use new crush washers too. I make sure I buy a bunch of those & use the Mahle filters. eBay has them too - I bought a 10 pack of the filters when I first got the car. Lots of rags on the filter, and don't drop the dipstick down in the filler.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:52 PM
MSC
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First post here but not a newbie to oil changes......Carful if you drain the oil when it's hot. It's better to do since the oil is thinner and you'll get a lot more of it out, but the Auto-zone special oil change drum can also be thin......DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!!!

Name:  random Porsche oil spill 001.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  125.0 KB
Name:  random Porsche oil spill 002.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  127.7 KB
Name:  random Porsche oil spill 003.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  89.2 KB
Name:  random Porsche oil spill 007.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  107.2 KB

Oil burned a hole right through the bottom where the plastic was a little thin.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:26 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

too funy ... i usually just plain ol kick it over by accident .. nothing so dramatic

Quick Reply: For those of you who do your own oil changes...