Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Heater Blower Motor (Engine Comp)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 07:16 PM
texasgooner
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heater Blower Motor (Engine Comp)

Hello Everyone,

I drive an '89 Carrera 3.2. I was wondering if anyone has had the same experience I have had with the blower in the engine compartment (I guess only in colder countries where the climate requires heat!).

I noticed that there was a rattle in the engine area, and on investigation realised it only happened when I turned on the heating. Sure enough, when I opened up the unti, I noticed what was happening.

I guess this is through age, and wear and tear. The metal rod which comes out of the motor assembly and connects to the fan, has over time (since 89!) worn the metal away where it spins, so rather than a circular hole, it it sitting in a small divot! So now when it spins, it rattles.

I'm guessing that there's no solution but fork out money for a new motor, which is annoying. Surely someone else has had the same problem? Can I do a cheap fix? Take it to a metal shop or some thing, to make the hole round again?

Any ideas? It makes an annoying rattle now!

Thanks in advanced,
Justin
Old 01-29-2004, 12:55 AM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Justin, it made a tear drop shaped hole didn't it. I guess it is from the weight of the shaft and cage that gravity makes it do that when the bearing, or sleeve goes bad on the cage end. I have one just like it I am going to do a repair on. I just have not decided yet which way I will go with it, the Grainger motor swap, or some other method. I have read post about the Grainger motor not moving enough air. I just replaced mine with a good used unit, and then in the next few days I will know which way I will do the fix to my old one. There are some threads on the Grainger motor swap, here and on Pel. BBS. Good luck.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:16 AM
texasgooner
Instructor

Smile

Yes, exactly, a teardrop shap.

I'm considering ways to do it myself !!!

Justn
Old 01-29-2004, 09:56 AM
Dave Thomas
Racer

Justin, here's a cheap and relatively easy replacement. Not sure about your ability to get the part in Holland, but you can probably find something comparable.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ghlight=blower

Slantnose, I've found the Grainger motor to move plenty of air! The hp and rpm specs are very close to the OEM motor, and it's a heavier-duty motor. It was 17 degrees F here yesterday, and even with no footwell blowers I had to close the levers to about 1/3 open, otherwise it got too hot in the car.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:05 AM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Hi Dave, I am still in the process of info and parts round up for the final solution to my old fan. I have read post here and Pelican, both good and bad on the Grainger/Dayton motor swap, works great, or not enough air flow. If I come up with something that I am satisfied with as a fix, I will post the remedy.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:27 PM
elanman
Advanced

Wink Update on motors

A few years on !

Does anyone have an udate on a motor? I believe to motor is still available i.e the Dayton Motor.Any others that are similar?

What current does the motor take i.e both the OEM and the Dayton.
Also what speedare the motors meant to run at?
Old 04-13-2009, 04:02 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I posted on Pelican about the cheap replacement motor that they offer. It works well if your old squirrel cage fan is in good condition.

Last edited by rusnak; 03-05-2010 at 12:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Heater Blower Motor (Engine Comp)