Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Stereo GPS Combo Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:20 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't have to pay for the GPS satellite system. If you subscribe to road conditions or notices about detours and wrecks, then that usually costs a little bit. In the case of the 780, they are referring to MSN Direct, which must be some sort of web access, I don't know.

All of the GPS kits come with everything you need to set them up in the car. Most nowdays will let you use them cord-free. That is, they have internal batteries that you can charge up so you can take the unit with you and use it on a bus, taxi, or on the go.

When I got mine several years ago, the 3.5" screen units were over $300. The Garmin Nuvee was the big thing. Now you get way more functionality for half the price. Unreal.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:45 PM
geoz
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm waiting for my iphone do get real turn by turn navigation & will go with that eventually. pros are the phone is with me anyway all the time, and the screen is big enough. why should i spend money on a gps i already have & paid for (built into the phone).

only my 2 cents
Old 04-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

No way would I buy that unit, or a new car with built-in nav. With the increased in technology constantly occurring, buy a $150 unit every two years and stay up to date.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:24 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

porsche already does not support it's old nav systems and you can not get updated cd's
Old 04-16-2009, 02:05 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a study about a year ago that most cars that came with built in Navigation did not hold their value at the time of resale, not only that, their resale value was lower than a car that didn't have it. It has to do with keeping up with technology and updating the maps. Updating the maps is also a consideration with the Garmins as it costs $75 for the update. I don't know about the other manufacturers.

For my model (760) it came with a 3-month subscription to the traffic alert which only works if you have the cigarette adapter connected (the fm receiver is built in to the charger). It's pretty handy and I think you can get a lifetime subscription for about $69.

Quick Reply: Stereo GPS Combo Anyone?