Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Mid-life crisis! Brought home a twenty year old German mistress.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Derrick B.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The brakes really sold me on the car. Well, those and the SSI's/Dansk.

...Unfortunately, I just figured out that I need to get the car emissions tested! SSI's and an aftermarket muffler combo will probably be a no-go. The car has Virginia plates and a current safety inspection, but the previous owner lived in a county where tailpipe emissions are not tested. New to the state, and it didn't occur to me to ask the question. My county of Virgina requires it on cars up to 25 years old. Even the guy at the DMV said that smogging is not required on 20 year old cars - too bad he was wrong.

I'll give the smog a shot, but have already started looking at stock exhausts to pass smog. I hate self-inflicted wounds. Aargh!
Old 04-06-2009, 05:48 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 49 Posts

I hate self-inflicted wounds. Aargh!
Funny. I'll have to remember that line.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:01 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts

so i gotta ask ..... are you gona let other guys ride in your mistress ?
Old 04-06-2009, 06:17 PM
nosub
Instructor

Originally Posted by Derrick B.
The brakes really sold me on the car. Well, those and the SSI's/Dansk.

...Unfortunately, I just figured out that I need to get the car emissions tested! SSI's and an aftermarket muffler combo will probably be a no-go. The car has Virginia plates and a current safety inspection, but the previous owner lived in a county where tailpipe emissions are not tested. New to the state, and it didn't occur to me to ask the question. My county of Virgina requires it on cars up to 25 years old. Even the guy at the DMV said that smogging is not required on 20 year old cars - too bad he was wrong.

I'll give the smog a shot, but have already started looking at stock exhausts to pass smog. I hate self-inflicted wounds. Aargh!
Not sure if VA is same as NC but if a car fails (luckily NC only sniffs cars with ODBC-II) it will show up on the title report, i.e. CarFax. See if you can find a shop that will test outside the state required smog test. That way if it fails you can fix and then when you do "officially" it will only show as having passed.

Was pretty funny though when we lived in Raleigh. Had a 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo. Had removed numerous smog components and when having it checked the year before they stopped testing pre ODBC-II cars found out there was a trick. Basically insert a T with a hose sucking in outside air into one of the vacuum lines. Hissed a bit but pulled in enough outside air that is squeaked through the smog portion!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Scott Lenger
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks to me like the twists are aftermarket with proper offset - I have the same. I also like the way 17" wheels fill the fenders but they are a tad heavier than Fuchs. If those are Big Reds then 17" is needed for clearance. Now that 17 Fuchs-style are available I'd certainly love to have a set of those.

Great looking car!
Old 04-08-2009, 12:51 AM
Rod.
Instructor

Mid-life crisis! I've had several. I now call them mid-life opportunities. ;-)

Lovely car by the way!
Old 04-08-2009, 12:57 AM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

They dont appear to be big reds, just a smaller set done in red. None the less they're an improvement from the stockers. Get a nice set of Lindsay or other Fuchs style wheels and give that beauty a proper look
Old 04-08-2009, 09:27 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Very nice

Check with the folks at Porsche group www.dorkiphus.net they are very familiar in dealing with emission issues.

John
Old 04-08-2009, 09:54 AM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Not sure if VA is same as NC but if a car fails (luckily NC only sniffs cars with ODBC-II) it will show up on the title report, i.e. CarFax. See if you can find a shop that will test outside the state required smog test. That way if it fails you can fix and then when you do "officially" it will only show as having passed.

Was pretty funny though when we lived in Raleigh. Had a 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo. Had removed numerous smog components and when having it checked the year before they stopped testing pre ODBC-II cars found out there was a trick. Basically insert a T with a hose sucking in outside air into one of the vacuum lines. Hissed a bit but pulled in enough outside air that is squeaked through the smog portion!
My family had an '81 Subaru we used as an "aiport car" when we lived in Atlanta. Somewhere around '93 or '94 Atlanta started smog tests. The Subaru failed bady. The guy told me that I needed this and that and all kinds of money to be spent to get the car up to snuff. I was like the heck with that, the car ain't even worth that much.

When I took the car in for the test, she only had one gallon of high test in her tank. (I was hoping that would help.) I went to the nearest liquor store and went in and bought 5 bottles (the big ones) of Bacardi 151. I dumped all 5 bottles in the tank. While I'm doing this, there's a guy standing by the door to the store with his jaw slack and his eyes wide. I took the car back to the smog test place and passed - with almost ZERO emissions. LOL! I didn't tell the guy how I did it, but he was amazed.

This trick didn't come without problems. The car would hardly idle and was running pretty hot. As soon as I got out of there I took it to the nearest gas station and filled her up with low grade. She ran like a top and I got my sticker!
Old 04-08-2009, 10:56 AM
nosub
Instructor

ROFL! That is priceless!

In line with the original subject, when I got my Z (see prior post I made) I got a personalized plate: MIDLIFEZ
Got a lot of comments on that!

Originally Posted by 1stgear
My family had an '81 Subaru we used as an "aiport car" when we lived in Atlanta. Somewhere around '93 or '94 Atlanta started smog tests. The Subaru failed bady. The guy told me that I needed this and that and all kinds of money to be spent to get the car up to snuff. I was like the heck with that, the car ain't even worth that much.

When I took the car in for the test, she only had one gallon of high test in her tank. (I was hoping that would help.) I went to the nearest liquor store and went in and bought 5 bottles (the big ones) of Bacardi 151. I dumped all 5 bottles in the tank. While I'm doing this, there's a guy standing by the door to the store with his jaw slack and his eyes wide. I took the car back to the smog test place and passed - with almost ZERO emissions. LOL! I didn't tell the guy how I did it, but he was amazed.

This trick didn't come without problems. The car would hardly idle and was running pretty hot. As soon as I got out of there I took it to the nearest gas station and filled her up with low grade. She ran like a top and I got my sticker!
Old 04-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Derrick B.
Racer

John,

Thanks for the link to dorkiphus! I had no idea it existed, and there is no substitute for a local group. I will definitely get in touch with them.

Trader,
Those Lindsays are amazing and I love them too. Maybe someday...

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I am really, really happy to have my @ss back behind the wheel of a 911. The G-50 is a huge step up from the 915, btw.
Derrick
Old 04-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I wouldn't go with the Lindsey's, they rely on old Fuchs for parts, and I see too much evidence of damage showing up on them these days. Go to Pelican and search "Jeff Alton+wheels" and look at what is now available in NEW forged 17" Fuchs-type look.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:13 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stgear

That is hillarious! Did the slackjawed guy look at you, look at the bottle in his hand, look back at you, and shake his head?
Old 04-08-2009, 04:57 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

That is hillarious! Did the slackjawed guy look at you, look at the bottle in his hand, look back at you, and shake his head?
LOL! He was looking at me like I had lost my freaking marbles - that's for sure. This was around 10am. I'm cretain the guy was going in to get his booze for the day - he looked pretty haggard.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Derrick B.
Racer

Talking Passed SMOG!!

Man, what a relief! I was scared that I was headed down a very dark path, and was preparing to remove the SSIs and install a stock exhaust I bought on Pelican. I figured it was worth a shot to get the car tested as is. If nothing else, I'd have a baseline. So, I swapped the Autothority chip out for the stock chip and had the car emissions tested.

PASSED!! Tailpipe emissions were well below limits. I will keep the stock exhaust I purchased as a talisman against evil, as having a cat in the garage seemed to help .

Quick Reply: Mid-life crisis! Brought home a twenty year old German mistress.