Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Anyone familiar with this 1981 911?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009 | 01:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

completely different cars in my mind. i personally do not like the styling of the 964 to start off with so for me that is a dead issue.
Old 04-06-2009 | 02:21 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Re: texasmotorcars car... This is what I see:

1. Left seat broken down
2. Sun visors need replacement/repair
3. Headliner - rear quarter is pretty bad - window water leak?
4. Tailpipe angle is odd (?)
5. No cat heat shield
6. Koni shocks look very old
7. Brake hoses look original
8. Clutch cable Omega spring broken (?)
*9*. Left side re-paint work (serious damage?) - Left door has not been finished correctly following paint work, the VIN sticker on the left door post is missing (evidence that the damage was not just the door), the left trailing arm has been replaced (left side accident damage?), and the left rear corner of the headliner is in bad condition (body shop created?)...
10. Over spray on the inside of the oil reservoir - now that is weird!
11. Very strange to see a car of that vintage without headlight washers...

Can we get pics of the front suspension, perhaps there is more to look at?

Lest we forget, because of the indicated low mileage, and the year model ('81) this car must have the cylinder head studs checked during a PPI!!!

LINK: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...immermann.html

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 04-06-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-06-2009 | 03:28 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Jeff Fraizer

Originally Posted by nosub
Like the one above on craigs list the best of the two. but for just a few dollars more, and lower mileage, like this one better:

http://mall.rennlist.com/scripts/fea...uery=retrieval

Anyone have thoughts, etc. on the seller? He seems to list quite a few here for sale on a regular basis.
I bought my car from Jeff and he did me right. I had a couple issues when I received the car and he picked up half of the cost of the repairs. (The car was sold as is so I thought this was more than fair.) He also gave me a money back guarantee on the car. He stands behind his word and is a reputable seller in my book.
Old 04-06-2009 | 06:32 PM
nosub
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Re: texasmotorcars car... This is what I see:

1. Left seat broken down
2. Sun visors need replacement/repair
3. Headliner - rear quarter is pretty bad - window water leak?
4. Tailpipe angle is odd (?)
5. No cat heat shield
6. Koni shocks look very old
7. Brake hoses look original
8. Clutch cable Omega spring broken (?)
*9*. Left side re-paint work (serious damage?) - Left door has not been finished correctly following paint work, the VIN sticker on the left door post is missing (evidence that the damage was not just the door), the left trailing arm has been replaced (left side accident damage?), and the left rear corner of the headliner is in bad condition (body shop created?)...
10. Over spray on the inside of the oil reservoir - now that is weird!
11. Very strange to see a car of that vintage without headlight washers...

Can we get pics of the front suspension, perhaps there is more to look at?

Lest we forget, because of the indicated low mileage, and the year model ('81) this car must have the cylinder head studs checked during a PPI!!!

LINK: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...immermann.html

BLECH! That is enough for me to not need any more info! X's off the list! Thanks!
Old 04-07-2009 | 09:47 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 99 Posts

Peter, not only is your book one of the true classics in the realm of how to buy 911s, but the way you can take a car apart just from looking at the pictures is equally impressive.

One thing I was wondering though, what was it specifically about the left-side door (apart from the missing VIN sticker on the jamb) that twigged you to it being a poor repair? It looks like the door gap along the bottom may be off, but it is hard to tell in the pictures (for me at least). I am just curious from an educational perspective.

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2009 | 10:37 AM
pchak
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pete's photo interp. is truly amazing.

It's funny, after reading Pete's book, at least he's got me thinking in that mindset. Will need much more practice!
Old 04-07-2009 | 01:26 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by amjf088
Peter, not only is your book one of the true classics in the realm of how to buy 911s, but the way you can take a car apart just from looking at the pictures is equally impressive.

One thing I was wondering though, what was it specifically about the left-side door (apart from the missing VIN sticker on the jamb) that twigged you to it being a poor repair? It looks like the door gap along the bottom may be off, but it is hard to tell in the pictures (for me at least). I am just curious from an educational perspective.

Thanks!
OK, class is in session. (1) Go back to the photo set and look at the pictures of both doors - from the door panel side. (2) Now, focus on the photo of the passenger (right) door. See how the paint (body) color is blacked out all the way around the outer edge of the panel? (This is done so you can't see body color while inside the car with the doors closed). (3) Now look at the same area on the driver's side (left) door. The body shop skipped the black-out step after painting the door.

Given the above I would guess that the door might have been replaced, and was probably painted off the car. The picture quality is not good enough, and rarely is, to see the paint texture (fender/door/quarter panel), which also tells many stories, but checking for that black strip around the door panel always tells a story!

...and, thank you for the nice words!
Old 04-07-2009 | 03:21 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 99 Posts

Hi Peter,

Thank you for the reply, that explains it very well!
Old 04-07-2009 | 04:59 PM
nosub
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI.. bought the book today on Amazon! Cannot wait till it arrives!
Old 04-07-2009 | 05:59 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

well I don't see it Pete, think i am looking for Waldo .. but I moticed soemthing else .. there is no way that is even close to the same colour on the rear quarters as the engine cover...
Old 04-07-2009 | 06:39 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nosub
Like the one above on craigs list the best of the two. but for just a few dollars more, and lower mileage, like this one better:

http://mall.rennlist.com/scripts/fea...uery=retrieval

Anyone have thoughts, etc. on the seller? He seems to list quite a few here for sale on a regular basis.
I don't think well of Jeff, but that looks to be a nice car. I would want to make sure before I pulled the trigger though. Kind of like Victory, if you get my drift.

Quick Reply: Anyone familiar with this 1981 911?