Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Installing Rods

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002 | 10:41 PM
Bob Springer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Installing Rods

I'm installing the rods on the crankshaft and am wondering if it matters what location they go in. Bentley states they have to go back into there original location but I believe since they have been machined this doesn't apply. Anybody know the answer?
Old 04-12-2002 | 01:47 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
First of all, the numbers on the side of the rods should face forward, towards the crankshaft pulley...at least that's what's in all the pictures I see - and it's always how I've installed them.

Second, match the numbers on the rod and bearing cap, they should also be on the same side, numbers facing each other.

As far as what order to install them in...well, you should've engraved/marked them prior to removal. The factory weighs them, the two heaviest go to the rear of the crankshaft (transmission end) the next heaviest pair in the middle and the lightest nearest the crank pulley.

There should not be a difference of more than 9 grams between any two rods.

The difference in weight is miniscule, so does it matter? I dunno, that's just how the factory puts them together...likely provides a smoother running engine.

You can weigh them yourself and mark 'em then...you never know when you'll be inside that engine again!
Old 04-12-2002 | 12:58 PM
Bob Springer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I marked them with a tag before sending them to the machine shop but they came back unmarked. So I guess I'll try to weigh them. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Installing Rods