Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Just curious. What's a "Super User"?
Old 03-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dave morris
Just curious. What's a "Super User"?
That label is most likely based on post count.

... and it's certainly not based on anything "super" that I did since I'm pretty much a rambling idiot around here...

Last edited by Jay H; 03-25-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by scottrx7tt
and those are the ones who are going to keep their cars in this current market.

And who said that is a problem? That's the point, not everything that is for sale, HAS to be sold for less than the owner wants to get. Some may be desperate, but some don't give a rat's *** if their stuff sells. I know guys who build cars to allegedly sell, act like they're selling them to keep their wives happy, but never do, unless someone drops a load of cash on them.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:57 PM
scottrx7tt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
I'll add that the exchange rates are going the wrong way again, so Porsche parts are getting more expensive.

If you strut on into your local Porsche dealer, and demand that they lower their prices on them fern parts, they'll just point at you and laugh.
the price of porsche parts is not relavent to the market value of the cars. The porsche dealer has the monopoly on genuine porsche parts. The car market, on the other hand, is not. There are hundreds, of 911s on the market at any given time, sellers have to be competetive to get the buyer, just like the real estate market, the biggest way to reel in the buyer is to offer a better house than the next, for a competetive price. If you price it too high, there will be no interest, no matter how nice the property is. Ive seen this downturn in every car market. I have been an Rx7 enthusiast for years, and the values on those cars have dropped drastically in the last 6 months. I still see uneducated buyers post a car up for $20,000 that is only worth $12,000 in todays market. With a few exceptions, porsche 911s are not rare, it is the longest production run vehicle ever made, which means there are thousands of cars still on the road, and lots are for sale.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:57 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay H
That label is most likely based on post count.

... and it's certainly not based on anything "super" that I did since I'm pretty much a rambling idiot around here...
Yeah? Rennlist calls me an "Addict". I feel really super super used.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:03 PM
scottrx7tt
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
And who said that is a problem? That's the point, not everything that is for sale, HAS to be sold for less than the owner wants to get. Some may be desperate, but some don't give a rat's *** if their stuff sells. I know guys who build cars to allegedly sell, act like they're selling them to keep their wives happy, but never do, unless someone drops a load of cash on them.
how many people do you know who are actively trying to sell their cars that do not want to sell it? Why go through the trouble? Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
As i have said before, im sure the market prices will go up one day to where they were before. So maybe the uneducated sellers will be able to get their hefty prices for their cars. I wish them all the luck.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:07 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

how many people do you know who are actively trying to sell their cars that do not want to sell it? Why go through the trouble? Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
As i have said before, im sure the market prices will go up one day to where they were before. So maybe the uneducated sellers will be able to get their hefty prices for their cars. I wish them all the luck.
It seems to me you view things as having to be black or white. Again, in spite of what ABC/NBC/CBS tells us, all is not lost and not everyone has to sell something tomorrow and perhaps take a loss doing it.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:09 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

the price of porsche parts is not relavent to the market value of the cars. The porsche dealer has the monopoly on genuine porsche parts. The car market, on the other hand, is not. There are hundreds, of 911s on the market at any given time, sellers have to be competetive to get the buyer, just like the real estate market, the biggest way to reel in the buyer is to offer a better house than the next, for a competetive price. If you price it too high, there will be no interest, no matter how nice the property is. Ive seen this downturn in every car market. I have been an Rx7 enthusiast for years, and the values on those cars have dropped drastically in the last 6 months. I still see uneducated buyers post a car up for $20,000 that is only worth $12,000 in todays market. With a few exceptions, porsche 911s are not rare, it is the longest production run vehicle ever made, which means there are thousands of cars still on the road, and lots are for sale.
Yes, I understand your analogy.

But what you are referring to is "opportunity cost".

In other words, the price for Porsches is not likely to fall below the cost of replacement by some other manufacturer. First as transportation, and second as a form of recreation. It will never go to zero. Real estate is also subject to opportunity cost, which is an economic "cost". It is not a commodity. That is because it is both unique and not disposable, and the value will never go to zero even if demand falls below cost. Also, the investment is permanent for as long as you have demand.

Another consideration is new construction vs. existing real estate. You will never get a builder to build below his cost plus a profit. That alone is a price floor. Same with new cars. The theory that you can drop price to meet demand is good only good so far. There are times when demand is simply not sufficient to justify the cost. There no reason for manufacturers to operate at a loss, and there is no reason for a Porsche owner to sell his Porsche for less than he can get for his Acura or Lexus. We are seeing that right now in new cars, new homes, and some used cars. So, what happens is there is no sale.

Last edited by rusnak; 03-25-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:48 PM
scottrx7tt
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
It seems to me you view things as having to be black or white. Again, in spite of what ABC/NBC/CBS tells us, all is not lost and not everyone has to sell something tomorrow and perhaps take a loss doing it.
unfortunately we live in a black and white world, but as i stated earlier, the market will rebound, and prices will most likely go up to where they were before. We are in agreeance there.
I have taken advantage of the buyers market and bought my first porsche. Did i lowball, no. The asking price was more than fair, and everyone was happy. Luckally, most porsche owners are well off enough to endure the tough conditions we face these days and ride out the storm. We will see better days soon.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:55 PM
scottrx7tt
Advanced

one thing that you have overlooked is most porsches are still selling for 75-100% of their original value or more. Try that with a Lexus, or an Acura.
I am in support seeing the prices head back up. But the reality of it is the market is down. no one can deny that.

Originally Posted by rusnak
Yes, I understand your analogy.

But what you are referring to is "opportunity cost".

In other words, the price for Porsches is not likely to fall below the cost of replacement by some other manufacturer. First as transportation, and second as a form of recreation. It will never go to zero. Real estate is also subject to opportunity cost, which is an economic "cost". It is not a commodity. That is because it is both unique and not disposable, and the value will never go to zero even if demand falls below cost. Also, the investment is permanent for as long as you have demand.

Another consideration is new construction vs. existing real estate. You will never get a builder to build below his cost plus a profit. That alone is a price floor. Same with new cars. The theory that you can drop price to meet demand is good only good so far. There are times when demand is simply not sufficient to justify the cost. There no reason for manufacturers to operate at a loss, and there is no reason for a Porsche owner to sell his Porsche for less than he can get for his Acura or Lexus. We are seeing that right now in new cars, new homes, and some used cars. So, what happens is there is no sale.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:44 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

one thing that you have overlooked is most porsches are still selling for 75-100% of their original value or more. Try that with a Lexus, or an Acura.
I am in support seeing the prices head back up. But the reality of it is the market is down. no one can deny that.
I wasn't comparing value retention, only stating that once the "market price" whatever that may be goes below a certain point, the rational thing to do is do nothing.

The market is below what it was, sure. But as you said your offer was not lowball. I think if you lowballed it, then you'd be Porsche-less.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:52 AM
SMARCUS
Track Day

I hope this is relevant:

My car is a DD so it replaced a $500 a month lease. I figure if its drop in value on an annual basis is less than $6,000, factoring in maintenace costs, than I have done well. As an example if I spent $1500 this year on maintenance and it's value only dropped $2,000 then I am ahead by $2,500. Since my car is an 87 Targa if I get 4 years of use out of it and spend an average of $1,500 per year to keep it going I could throw it away and still be satisfied financially (don't anyone get any ideas about a free 87 Targa, I'll take what the market will bear when it's time).

As far as buying and selling I work with a friend who is a small import dealer. He got me this car and eventually I would like to move into a 964 Coupe when the right one shows up. My only concern is the difference between the new car and my current car because the new car will be a replacement and if the market has dropped it will effect both vehicles.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:36 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 48 Posts

how many people do you know who are actively trying to sell their cars that do not want to sell it? Why go through the trouble?
I fall in this category. I will actively try to sell a car just so I can pick something else up. Hence, I am not motivated. If it sells, it sells. If it stays, that's cool too. I don't find it troublesome either. It gives you a good ballpark for where your car is sitting price wise - if it doesn't sell.

I put my '66 convertible Mustang up for sale last year and it brough 4k more than where my reserve was set. Was I happy - OH YEAH!
Old 03-26-2009, 01:12 PM
MDL
Racer

I fall in this category. I will actively try to sell a car just so I can pick something else up. Hence, I am not motivated. If it sells, it sells. If it stays, that's cool too. I don't find it troublesome either. It gives you a good ballpark for where your car is sitting price wise - if it doesn't sell.
Same here
Old 03-26-2009, 07:49 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

MDL, I agree with your earlier statement that if you price something fairly, even a used Porsche, eventually it will sell if properly exposed to the right person. You have to sometimes work harder to find that pocket of demand, and sometimes it will take longer, but eventually it will sell.

Quick Reply: Cars for sale