Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cars for sale

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 04:50 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,108 Likes on 792 Posts

Believe me DDD i understand the whole equation .. sounds like sour grapes cause someone can't buy a cheap Porsche at someone elses expense.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:23 PM
DDD
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Believe me DDD i understand the whole equation .. sounds like sour grapes cause someone can't buy a cheap Porsche at someone elses expense.
Guess again.

Clearly you don't understand the whole equation.

You remind me of people that thought stocks were a great bargain at 14,000 and then at 11,000 and then at 10,000 and then at 9,000. When I bought shares of Citigroup for $1, I never considered buying them for $40 just because somebody bought them for that much last year. Is that sour grapes? I like to think it is the smart thing to do. It seems to be how the real world operates.

I see it all the time and it is normally the people like you who get stuck holding the bag while the rest of us do business as usual firmly grounded in current market realities.

But keep those blinders on...
Old 03-25-2009, 05:45 PM
DDD
Pro

Let me throw a question out there to all of you that feel like you really understand both sides of the equation: If I bought the car for $10000 and the market clearly goes up to $20000 for similiar cars, should I INSIST ON SELLING THE CAR FOR $10,000? Should I insist on making no profit on the car because I paid 10000? Should I turn down 20000 and say I refuse to take more than 10000 grand because that is what I paid for the car?

No of course not, that makes no sense.

But if I bought it for $20000 and the market is now $10000, I am supposed to go on grandstanding about selling the car for $20000 and anybody who wants the car for 10000 grand is just sour grapes and how could they possibly insult me by offering market price?

A market only functions correctly when the seller and the buyer see eye to eye on what the car is really worth. The only objective way to understand what the car is worth is thru market value and price discovery. Price discovery is not the same as dictating an artifical price and digging in your heels when no sale is going to happen.

I have a guy now trying to get me to buy a 930 for an amount of money I offered him SIX MONTHS AGO. At the time he sneered at the notion and now he is tired of not selling the car and turns out I made the most generous offer because I always make a FAIR offer and never try to just rip somebody off. I offered him exactly what the car was worth IMO. Unfortunately for him, six months later, I am no longer interested. He would have had that money sitting in his bank six months ago but he dug his heels in and now he is still stuck with the car.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:56 PM
scottrx7tt
Advanced

i believe that EVENTUALLY the market for these cars will rebound. The question is, how long will it take? Its not just porsches, its every used car. Car dealerships are dropping their pants on even the new cars right now. It is a buyer controlled market right now. If you are not willing to drop your price to sell, obviously you dont need to sell.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:08 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

sounds like sour grapes cause someone can't buy a cheap Porsche at someone elses expense.
Pardon me for saying so but, boy, that's a bizarre statement. Have you recently had a car for sale that hasn't sold? You sound really bitter.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:14 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DDD
Let me throw a question out there to all of you that feel like you really understand both sides of the equation: If I bought the car for $10000 and the market clearly goes up to $20000 for similiar cars, should I INSIST ON SELLING THE CAR FOR $10,000? Should I insist on making no profit on the car because I paid 10000? Should I turn down 20000 and say I refuse to take more than 10000 grand because that is what I paid for the car?

No of course not, that makes no sense.

Hey DDD. Another good one. You're keeping me amused.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:27 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

No I'm getting tempted for a second 911

Found this 83 Coupe in my area listed for $8,900

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

John
Old 03-25-2009, 06:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,108 Likes on 792 Posts

seams to me you just don't get it . the guy can sell for what he wants , don't be sore because he won't give you a deal .... even beter .. take it OT and you can whine all day ...

and come back whan all yuor financial wisdom will aford you 30.00 for a membership.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:37 PM
scottrx7tt
Advanced

seams to me you just don't get it . the guy can sell for what he wants , don't be sore because he won't give you a deal .... even beter .. take it OT and you can whine all day ...
There is a huge difference in asking what you want, and actually selling it for that. Why would someone pay say..........$20,000 for a nice car, if he can get a similar car just as nice down the road for $12,000? I guarantee that person will go for the $12,000 every time. Its not about getting a deal, or being a lowballer, its all about asking a FAIR market price for the car in the first place, and knowing what the market will bear. Just like the real estata market.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:44 PM
scottrx7tt
Advanced

Originally Posted by GothingNC
No I'm getting tempted for a second 911

Found this 83 Coupe in my area listed for $8,900

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

John
that looks like an extremely nice car, heck of a deal! maybe i should offer him more money, since the car is worth $20,000
Old 03-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Some of you guys are the exact reason I'd hate to sell anything at all now. Most people today assume that because something's for sale, means the seller has to get rid of it. I'm of the opinion that everything that anybody owns is for sale-for the right price. I know of people "selling" stuff all the time because the don't use it. That doesn't mean they have to give it away.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:00 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Some of you guys are the exact reason I'd hate to sell anything at all now. Most people today assume that because something's for sale, means the seller has to get rid of it. I'm of the opinion that everything that anybody owns is for sale-for the right price. I know of people "selling" stuff all the time because the don't use it. That doesn't mean they have to give it away.
Amen to that.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:03 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll add that the exchange rates are going the wrong way again, so Porsche parts are getting more expensive.

If you strut on into your local Porsche dealer, and demand that they lower their prices on them fern parts, they'll just point at you and laugh.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:04 PM
scottrx7tt
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
and those are the ones who are going to keep their cars in this current market.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Regardless of the market conditions, when buying a used car like a Porsche, it quickly becomes appearant which cars are actually for sale and which cars are listed on the advertising mediums, but not really "for sale". The last time I bought a 911 I passed on quite a few cars that were over priced and didn't waste any time on these cars or their owners. I was serious about buying and found a car that was priced right with an owner that was serious about selling. The deal went quickly and the car was not on the market long.

So, if someone is dead serious about selling their car, the asking price quickly drops to what the market will bear. If someone is just fishing for a good offer and prices the vehicle over market value and doesn't budge, the educated buyer will just pass that car up and go after the stuff that is really at market value with a motivated seller.

A good negotiator will always shoot for a price that is not in line with the market. But, a good negotiator will know the value of the item and will move their price accordingly to get the deal done. For example, a seller should always price the car just above market value. Hopefully someone will bite at that price and a premium can be had. However, that same seller should know the market value and adjust accordingly to entice the buyer to bite and make the sale. You can always drop your price, but can never raise it when selling. Same concept goes for a buyer. Shoot low to see if you can score a deal. If not, work your way up.

Keep in mind that we tend to get emotional about these 911's. So, we feel they should hold value maybe more than they should when times are tough. But, in the end, these are just used cars like every other used car on the market.

Jay H
02 986
90 964
84 911

Quick Reply: Cars for sale