AGLA Steering wheel restoration ,wheel kits,and more

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 02:33 PM
AGLA
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AGLA Steering wheel restoration ,wheel kits,and more

AGLA STEERING WHEELS RESTORATION ,SHIFBOOTS AND STEERING WHEEL KITS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my first post to all of you in Rennlist. Many of you may know AGLA from advertising many years in Panorama and Excellence
We got things going this week for me to start being a sponsor . I am very happy to communicate what is it AGLA does. AGLA restores original steering wheels to oem specs .I have had clients world wide now over many years making variations of Porsche items available in stock, custom colors and even alcantara .

Starting with the our wheel kits- Our wheel kits cover the spokes on all our kits There are the 3 spoke wheel kits,the rare thick grip 3 spoke wheel , and on 4 spoke wheels 911 the 1984-89 were all the same design.We even have a kit for the odd 4 spoke 911 e wheel of 75-77 that looked like an airbag but was not.Most people threw it out for an aftermarket wheel back then .These wheel kits come with the leather as Porsche made it - covering the spokes ,pre-punched holes , thread kits and instructions. We did a limited run of converted 914 wheels to 911 RSR specs last year.

My web site explains this in more detail at the Porsche page at www.aglausa.com

Possibly our biggest item we make here for the 911 at AGLA is wheel restoration.We restore the wheels back to oe specs .We handsew them covering the spokes.On the 4 spokes- its quite a bit of sewing especially those long spokes but we make them like new again with all new leather.
On all wheels we can even customize them by putting in more padding to make it thicker, add in thumb rests ,different color thread.However my experience is that 911 owners want to get back to how they were originally.We can also salvage old/rare aftermarket wheels such as the old Racemark wheels that alot of late 70's 911 had back then.

You can see a lik to a ebay page also I have for wheel restoration

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...1715&viewitem=

We also make the leather shifboots. We sell them through many vendors of mine however some will only sell black or brown.We have rare colors like linen ,grey beige and others odd special order colors.
We also make the complete **** and boot unit with either 4 or 5 speed emblem that looks like the oe black emblem . We even have rare dog leg 5 speed emblem if you prefer.

Other items we make for the 911 is the handbrake unit that covers that ugly exposed metal grip on the emergency brake.They never came that way however we cover a leather grip and the leather continues on down to the floor.I started making those years ago for my on 911sc targa .I saw that exposed metal that I thought was quite out of place.There is a picture of it at my porsche page at www.aglausa.com i also make a climate control boot and handle that does the same thing for those with the climate /heater box rather than the rubber boot.

Feel free to ask me any questions about steering wheels ,shiftboots and *****.I like to think after all these years I have gotten a sense of all sort of issues when it comes to the main items you interact the most when you drive your 911.

So thanks for stoping by and reading my post starting out introducing myself and AGLA to all of you at RENNLIST-THANKS

ALAN GUN,President AGLA,inc.( alan gun leather accesories )
1 800 780 4500
Old 03-13-2009, 08:42 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

how is customer service these days?
Old 03-13-2009, 09:14 PM
AGLA
Former Vendor

We try our best as much as we canAnd even bend over backwards for for customers especially in todays new economy .....and here we are working late friday night .
How can I help you ?

Last edited by AGLA; 03-13-2009 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Incorectly sent it
Old 03-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

You should probably do a search here (including the 928 board) and on Pelican. Lots of info on AGLA; much that you may want to address.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:12 PM
AGLA
Former Vendor

We do not sell to pelican yet they sell my items it via a third party vender -long story -no need to explain it here - it s the wholesale part of the my business .I have been at this a long time and I try my best.AGLA is a small company- all hand made /sometimes special order things take longer to get it correct and some people just don't understand - they want it yesterday which is impossible.I will take a look at it-if I can find it.I have yet to list anything at the 928 forums.Thanks A Gun
Old 03-13-2009, 11:34 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

You need to understand what forums are. I don't refer to people buying your parts from Pelican or "listing on the 928 forum". I refer to threads on these forums that are posted by your customers telling tales of their experiences.

I agree that "good things take time", I'm also a big believer in communication, which solves a lot of problems. I personally have no beef with your products, I bought a shifter boot a few years ago.Shipped as promised, went on well and looks great. I'm only reporting that you may want to address some of the discussions on the various Porsche forums.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:33 AM
AGLA
Former Vendor

I just looked at 21 pages of 928 forum pages - my head is spinning not finding anything but I did a search and found some people from about a year ago making some comments that at best I felt unfair.
people have not a clue what goes into handmaking these items.
My best answer to anyone who has a problem with me is a bluntly honest one. I am not a Gereral Motors- I can not pump out stuff day in/out for the last 20 years and be selling junk.I must be getting something correct.Wholesale catalogues and I have never have a problems and I have been told by the bigest of them that I have the lowest return rate on products- thats why they keep buying form me. I wish i could say I was 24 hours a day making this stuff however I do have responsibilties as a husband and father .Personal issues that I must attend to myself.Some people sometimes think-I am here for them 24 hours a day plus if I don't answer imediately that second we must be out of business or ripped someone off.
Usually if I don't answer its becasue I am looking for a rare color hide ,steering wheel or part that is needed on a wheel restoration- or repairing a sewing machine or computer .Add to that some of my employees are part timers and I have to chase them down - go miles out of my way to get thing resolved. I wish i can say I was at the beach - when actually I am working just trying to make a good product for all people.
There was a rumor years ago about me in the early nineties that just would not go away- something about me living down in the florida keys with a couple of women on a boat so i was never around half the time.Truth was I was running /making the AGLA items part time - my other half of the time was travelling overseas to find new suppliers for both ***** and leather. I hired a friend to answer the phones and to fax me with the daily stuff while away. So for about 2 years it was rough trying to keep up with life -I was not here half the time- rumors flew as to why stuff was not getting shipped out fast enough-I wish it had been true....but it was not.
I found out it was a competitor who went out of business several years ago who kept saying this adsurd Florida Keys rumor about me.Why ? Who knows....
Years have past honestly that rumors and trying to make any /everyone happy is just impossible in any industry.So I do care - I try my best .My best way to sum up everything in the matter of customer service is this example- my wife quit working for a major airline as a flight attendant after 19 years last year. After 9/11 she said it was not the same anymore-Passengers were different after that -rude ,demanding .nothing made them happy .All it took was 1-2 passengers on a plane out of a hundred on a plane to make the flight miserable.After 19 years she got burnt out and quit.She could care less of the lost benefits. Those 2% just made it not worth it.
Same with me -98/99% of my customers are happy with me since the late 80's - its that 1-2 % that makes business difficult.
I have been here on the phones/emails/ sewing machines /faxes/etc. for 20 years running a business as best I can literally making these thing with blood sweat and tears. I don't think its any different with anyone else in any business especially these days in todays economy. Anyone who thinks I don't care has not a clue what manufacturing is about and somehow maintain a personal life in anyway shape or form knows nothing about me to even make a bad remark.I just then do not care what they may say.
Is this arogant?? I don't know - I just know you just can not make everyone happy.100% Perfection is not possible in any business.
When people visit me here and I show them what goes into even a simple boot -people are quite interested .I give them a tour ,a history of wheels and ***** of all sorts of German parts i have here in production.
So I care -I try my best.
Thats why I am here at Rennlist - many of you demanded that i support rennlist to serve you and show my products-I thank all of you who have purchase and used my items from me over the years- It means alot .
Thanks
Alan Gun

Anyway thanks for the heads up.Appreciate it.A Gun
Old 03-14-2009, 05:37 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alan, you've been around since before Excellence even changed it's name from "Porsche". You were around in the days of PB Tweeks and Automotion.

I know the online forums can be harsh. People can be very rude. I guess the parts biz can be cutthroat. It seems that both are getting worse. I hope that you find something that you like about online forums, and stick with it. It's nice to see such a fixture of the Porsche scene here as a sponsor.

I'm also battling burnout, and I'm not yet 40. I was at the office until almost midnight, and I guess that is the lot in life of a business owner. It seems that I work more hours for free than for pay, and some days you gotta take it on the chin.

Anyhow, nice to meet you in cyber space.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Alan,

Thats one of THE most honest, forthright letters I have ever read and my hat is off to you.

With that level of integrity, this community will certainly support your efforts as none of us is perfect and running a small business can be rather challenging at times.

I'll be happy to send you our business.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:01 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Thanks for addressing the customer service comments. People (consumers) are used to 800 support numbers with a staff to deal with any issues. That is what large businesses do. We often don't stop to think that many Porsche businesses are small, 1 person operations -- some are essentially hobbyists who sell a few items.

If I understand it, people are likely to have a lot better experience going "retail" directly thru your web site?

You may also want to post a summary on Pelican -- that site gets a lot of traffic. And maybe on Early911bbs also.

FWIW, I have only ordered a leather brake handle cover and installed it myself. No custom work. I had no service issues and the cover was nice, tho the leather was thin.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:38 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Well stated, thanks!
Old 03-15-2009, 02:06 AM
Scott Lenger
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a shifter boot from AGLA several years back - service and communication was very good, especially as I had ordered was a rare color. The product is fantastic. You can count me as a satisfied customer. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2009, 10:31 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alan,
I have a Momo (monte carlo I think) in Burgundy leather. The black anodizing looks "wierd", and the leather's on the way out, dried & color fading.

I'd like to get this redone shortly, but I don't want to be without the car for too long. How does the loaner system work, and with my Momo adapter / hub extender, what kind of wheel would be sent out / aka, will what you send bolt onto what I have without complete disassembly of the hub?

Can I assume that the Burgundy color is a "special" color? One momo reseller told me that they haven't done the burgundy wheels in 15+ years now, I'm not sure personally. I believe it's a 320mm also.

Thanks for your time & honesty, appreciate it! As a former small business owner like yourself, you're spot-on - it's one reason I closed the doors, it just wasn't worth the BS anymore. It's also amazing how the rumor mill works online too - when open, I was one of the most respected shops, always tried to go above & beyond. At the end of my tenure, my competition started to mudsling, and they still do today, even though I'm dead & gone in the field. Funny, this is the same guy who would meet my customers at my shop when I wasn't there & he'd intercept the dropoff, steering them to him instead. Then I heard about how they were charged 2-3 times what I was going to, and they got poor service from him. I watched this guy literally brag about how he took speed parts off some kid's car because he was owed some money, and knew the kid had just bought the car that way from someone else so he didn't have the receipts for the parts, and bullied him to pay the higher than should have been bill. Today, the same guy is still online trying to bury my rep to make himself look good to the kiddies who never knew me or my shop. Too bad too, because at one point we were friends. Makes you shake your head & mutter "WTF" when you read about some of these "issues" online & know that the 149% isn't appreciated because you didn't hit 150% sometimes.

I dunno. Anyway, best wishes, and if you could let me know how the wheel loaner / recon process works, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:32 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Alan,

Thats one of THE most honest, forthright letters I have ever read and my hat is off to you.

With that level of integrity, this community will certainly support your efforts as none of us is perfect and running a small business can be rather challenging at times.

I'll be happy to send you our business.
Steve,
I think you'll agree that I'm a stand-up guy with a pretty strong Rennlist presence. Here's my AGLA experience

Do a bit of reading on each of the forums that Alan has posted on and the responses suddendly begin to say the same thing.

Andreas
Old 03-24-2009, 02:50 AM
AGLA
Former Vendor

I knew the guys with the real 911's would stand behind me - thanks for your kind words -taking it on the chin is not it -its more like a shock to my system-Will some of you help me - 4/6 rennlisters go on a rant really ripping me a new one. 20 years of doing this and likely 1000's of customers and 6 people slander me/comdemn me .Rennlist and i had a talk today and they are not happy at all with 1-2 persons in particular in rennlist abusing a forum of mine.
I have better things to do than to all day trying to do damage control for the same 4-6 who are going forum by forum trashing AGLA. There are 2 sides to each story and I guess it quite easy to do this in the internet without thinking I may actually fight back.

And yes I do repeat my posts Andreas because its the same Rennlisters trashing me so I copy/paste same ansewer to every forum. I do not have the time to write individual posts to each and every statement
Andreas here suddenly started up and sent same posts to 9-10 forums this evening - so I replied to same ones with same answer.Here it is:

Andreas
l am sorry.Its so easy to pile on and try to get your revenge from one wheel kit. - I have been at this for 20 years . You had an issue with me and i admit I must have gotten it wrong.I am not a expert on 4runners and we blew it - however I do appologize.However I am not a theif nor am I scamming people here.How can I be in business all these years . I reported earlier other rennlist sponsors I know have had issues it happens to all of us.I do businees with 90% of the current sponsors' list - from the largest to the smallest -that a part of any business especailly over a 20 year period -some are not going to be happy - you just can not make each and every customer happy.So some of you have decided to pile on me as if I was never in Porsche Panorama and Excellence for 20 years advertizing without incident and now for 7-8 years in Ebay and the web.So I now come to the 50000 rennlisters and run into some of you who do not like me -It is people/companies like me that are trying to sustain Rennlist.They want me to be here and a have a good experience. So if 5 - 6 of you over a 20 year period of 1000's of customers I have an issue with me don't like me -Fine -I accept it.Now I have seen several of you trash just about every company you can-How can any of us be in business making and selling this stuff if we are just so HORRIBLE.You have not a clue what I have to do making these items.
I am now seeing the same names pop up bad mouthing me since I started to be here in Rennlist. Its easy to pile on in a internet forum and repeat the same story.I have better things to do than to post up emails and letters sent to me many who have been happy with my work.
I am not going away and i will report any of you who do interfere with me being a sponsor to the moderator.Once was fine - but if you insist I will.
So fine go ahead bring it on-I will still be here.

As for the rest of you - feel free to ask me a question such as the Momo owner.Yes Momo has sent me customers over the years under their various owners.So has Nardi.

Quick Reply: AGLA Steering wheel restoration ,wheel kits,and more