911 Cabriolet Electric Roof problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 10:44 PM
hawkeyeken
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 911 Cabriolet Electric Roof problem

Hello folks
in electric operation the roof does not lock down (close) evenly; there is a small but pronounced gap on drivers side (Australian right hand drive) the car is on a level surface when operating the hood. there are two holes in the internal hood facia panel which are identified in the Driver's Manual for inserting two handled 'keys' used for locking or unlocking the non-electric hood.
> Question is can I use these keys to close the hood evenly after the electrics have finished cycling and the light goes out, or will this damage the electric mechanism???
really appreciate your help
Old 03-03-2009, 11:36 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Manual top, can't help, welcome to Rennlist.....
Old 03-04-2009, 07:47 AM
pchak
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm only speaking from 993 experience, but I had to do that with my top, with no adverse wear to the motors. I'm assuming your problem is a glitch (motor positions out of position synch), rather than a frame alignment issue though-you need to watch out for that. If I'm interpreting you right, you only need to close the one side to get everything in order. Then, when you re-cycle the top back open, you s/b good to go. The 993 motor spindles/shafts have a screw head on the end to affect free turning of the shaft with the tool (I used a power driver).

Not to hijack the thread, but what yeardid elec tops go in? I'd much rather have a manual top in my next car, if I get another cab.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:05 PM
porsche4us

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I remember correctly, 1986 was the first year of the electric top. It was optional until 1989 when it became standard (except for Speedsters). My '87 has it, and it was a $2000 option back then.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:14 AM
pchak
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$2K? Ouch! I only used the electric latching on my 993-the lift/lower cables were disconnected. So much easier to just flip the top! If I had to complain about anything with my 993 (besides it eating the occasional belt) it was that clunky top latch mechanism. I ended up having the control box resoldered. That helped with the latch motors staying in synch.
That's some very helpful news. At present I'm leaning toward an '83 SC or '84-'86 Carrera Cab/Targa. I'll have to watch for elec tops on the '86's.
thanks!

Quick Reply: 911 Cabriolet Electric Roof problem