Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Another 911 is off to "Der Motherland"...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another 911 is off to "Der Motherland"...

Hello gents, it's been awhile since I had the time to log in, glad to see there is still plenty of traffic.

I finally sold my baby. It wasn't that I was trying very hard to do so; quite the opposite actually, I was procrastinating the inevitible.

The first guy that came to see the car bought it.

By tomorrow morning it should be loaded into a container and off on the second trip across the pond to its' new owner, a collector in Germany.

I know there is resentment among purists about sending these cars back to Europe, but the $$ just isn't here for these cars right now.

I recently saw a very clean 84 coupe (high mileage, but still VERY clean) listed in our local Craigslist ads for only $4000!

With domestic prices dropping like rocks, selling overseas is probably the best financial option these days.

I was definitely saddened to see it go.
I'm not even ready to dig out all of my extra parts from the garage yet.

One day there will be some items on eBay, or here, but for now they will rest in confined little tubs until I can look at them without regret.

+++
Old 03-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Batman 357
Instructor

I'm guessing you sold the 84 Carrera. How did you market the car to the German buyer. How much better are prices overseas. I'm looking to upgrade my vehicle.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:57 AM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 76 US-spec 930 was sold to a guy in Germany, and I am getting ready to market my 356 race car there, even though the Euro has declined close to 20% in recent months.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I actually posted the ad in my local Craigslist.
The buyer is a local guy that buys all types of North American cars to export to Germany.
He typically deals with newer, high-end models or desireable older cars.
He explained that the euro to USD conversion has been much better in the past than it is now, so his network in Germany is getting smaller than before, but they still have a market for good used premium vehicles.
The winters tend to cause a bit of corrosion there, so the used SoCal vehicles are generally a great bargain.
The biggest issue is the import tax.
He told me that the combined costs to import the vehicle will be 31%. That makes the really high-end cars a bit out of reach for most people looking to import from the US, but the older 911s are both very desireable and affordable to German buyers. Apparently the number of older Porsches on the streets in Germany is on the rise and very few of them are actually from there.
+++

Quick Reply: Another 911 is off to "Der Motherland"...