Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New G50 Shift Rod Bushing = significantly more shifting effort?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Maxhouse97
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 26 Posts
Default New G50 Shift Rod Bushing = significantly more shifting effort?

As part of a Rennshift install on my 87 G50 Carrera, I replaced the shift rod bushing with a new one that came with the kit. After I bolted everything back up, I noticed significantly increased shift effort fore and aft. I took it all apart again to see what the the problem was.

When I disconnected the shift rod from the coupler and the shifting mechanism (so the only thing it was attached to was the shift rod bushing), and tried to move the rod back and forth by hand, I found that it required A LOT of effort. Is this normal? (see pic)

The book says that no lube is required in this area. Should I put some in there anyways? Will it hurt anything? I assume that my old bushing had naturally worn to a looser fit and that that is the difference in effort right now. Is this something that I just need to put a couple hundred miles on before it feels right? Effort is high when shifting, especially when going to 5th (which I think puts the most lateral stress on the bushing).

I understand that this bushing was changed and made tighter fitting at some point in order to decreased shift rod vibration. Can/should I search for the older part? Any ideas?
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2009, 02:25 PM
JamesR
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CAN'T SPEAK TO THE RENNSHIFT INSTALL. THE SHIFT ROD BUSHING ON MY 88 CARRERA
LET GO LAST FALL WHILST ON I-26 TO SUMMERVILLE. GOT IT BACK TO HARTWELL, GA
FOR THE FIX(GRANT'S EURO CAR). NICE,TIGHT&POSITIVE NOW. MY BUSHING HAD MOST
LIKELY BEEN TANGO UNIFORM FOR A LONG TIME! TAKE YOUR TIME WITH HER. EVENTUALLY,
SHE WILL ACCEPT YOUR INPUTS! ENJOY!

Quick Reply: New G50 Shift Rod Bushing = significantly more shifting effort?