My new '69 911S

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 05:00 PM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Vifa
Congrat!

[TT Oversteer] What colour is the car on your picture?
The color is Desert Beige also known as Sahara Beige. Looks like an off yellow in person.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:42 AM
lthatch
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I guess that I am pretty sentimental, in general. I like having a genuine human connection as the basis for buying or selling something that has personal meaning to me. I've had ot the other way and, even when the numbers work, it's just not as good.
More pics to follow, once we service the car! New Mexico is a photographer's dream.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:33 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a great story and hopefully you will continue to give this car the love and care it deserves.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:21 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

What a cool story (and great car). I imagine that it was very difficult for the former owner to sell that car. He was probably assessing you as a potential next owner as you were assessing the 911 as a potential next car!

Obviously he felt you were the right guy...
Old 03-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cal44
A) New Mexico is a neat place. Spent alot of time there. Plan to spend more
B) Why is it that its always someone else that gets deals and or special find and never me.........never
Lucky so and so

Get your ducks in a row, and keep your eyes open. It happens when you least expect it, but you have to keep looking.

That is one fine S there. I would have cried too.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lthatch
Thanks guys. I guess that I am pretty sentimental, in general. I like having a genuine human connection as the basis for buying or selling something that has personal meaning to me. I've had ot the other way and, even when the numbers work, it's just not as good.
More pics to follow, once we service the car! New Mexico is a photographer's dream.
Please feel free to post as many pics as you wish. I too have a thing for the early green cars.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:34 PM
red67
Racer

Originally Posted by lthatch
Here's a few pics of the '69 911S I bought 2 days ago. Briefly, the ad showed up on CL Albuquerque the night before. I PM'd Peter Z. to try to get some quick info on the model and what to look for, zoomed down to see the car before work the next morning, and, after considerable drama and worry, was able to complete the purchase that evening.
The seller, a very sophisticated and sharp 82 yo, has had the car for 37 years and lovingly cared for it and drove it all that time. It has never been damaged, retains all original paint excepting the hood, which he had repainted due to rock chips. The rest of the car is all original and in exceptional condition. One would not believe that it has 128k miles looking at it.
The car came with the original owners manual, radio guide, a 1969 dealers list, tool kit, jack, Fuchs spare, etc.
The owner cried a couple of times as he let his old friend go, but in the end everyone felt good about the passing on of such a special car.
Here's some photos from that night.
I can't believe my good luck. Hopefully, it will continue when the car gets to my mechanic on Monday.
Thanks again, Peter.

congratulations man. pete's advice is always a winner.
that's one sweet car with history. please keep/make it as it was born/lived!
i have a similar car/situ to you. bought a 69T (in my avatar) and the first owner had it for over 30 years and he's 75 now (a top guy)- took all his family holidays skiing and stuff in this T and kept knocking the hellas below the front bumper off on high sidewalks, he was a doctor and was known as the doctor in the orange porsche. i have so many stories of the car. i hope you continue to keep in contact with the seller and endlessley probe him on stuff. i continually find stuff to this day on my car fun - little things (coins in ash trays and a slight bend in an engine lid grill and a tiny little odd thing here and there) and when i ask him it reminds the previous owner of stories from eons ago and how the car came to be as it is - it's fabulous! it makes the car so much more than a car, the slight imperfections are its history and story and make me smil every time i see them and tell others about them. my slightly bent rear egine lid grill is from a fabulous story - that means i'll never straighten it. you have an unbuyable resource there and a duty to keep the cars story so enjoy the car to its fullest and gather all its history in **** detail with stories of it past (some are only triggered by probing).
enjoy! and congrats again!

...and yes drown us in pictures! please ask the previous guy for some too it's pure treasure to be kept for the next owner to keep the history going! here's mine on its day of purchase.. we dont own them we just have to enjoy the hell out of them, but look after them and pass them on correctly when the time comes...

Last edited by red67; 03-02-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:02 PM
lthatch
Racer

red67, those are great suggestions. I will try to get pics of the previous owner with his car as well as posting new pics once I get it back from the mechanic.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:47 PM
TA911-64
Instructor

Peter,
your car brings back memories. My '66 was that same color when I bought it. This car has ended in the
right ownership! Enjoy...and pamper it!
Old 03-03-2009, 07:11 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know we all love these cars, but after 20 some years of employment in the Porsche industry, and ownership of several cars; It's all about the people. I have seen thousands of these cars come and go and I barely remember the cars, but I made so many friends I will never forget. Great story - its why were here at Rennlist.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:13 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I'm getting kinda misty. Nice story. Its amazing the emotions these cars bring forth. Congratulations and the best of luck.

I showed your pics to my wife and she said......"oh great. Is that what I have to look forward to in 30 years?"

Last edited by MUSSBERGER; 03-04-2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: needed editing
Old 03-05-2009, 12:42 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Wow, the car looks great. The story is even better.
Makes me sad to think of how the poor guy must have felt.
If I were him I'd be happy to know it was going to a god home though.
Enjoy your new beauty. :-)
Old 03-05-2009, 01:50 PM
greenshoes3
Pro

More pictures! A green 911 is my dream car. Nice looking car btw.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:00 AM
Hester
Instructor

Dude, nice buy.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Nice find. It's nice to be the chosen one. I recently bought a 356 from my neighbor. It had been sitting in his garage under a tarp since I moved in (about 5 years). Finally struck up a conversation about it, and a few months later, he allowed me to be the buyer. He was the original owner, and as I found out while we were pushing it over to my garage, other neighbors had inquired through the years, but he refused to sell to them. He was aware I was a true Porschephile and, it seemed, was looking for the right buyer to take the car into the next phase of its life. It needs restoration, but I promised it will be returned to the road.

Let's see some more pics of the 911S.

Brett

Quick Reply: My new '69 911S