Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Alternator conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 05:31 PM
carman12
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator conversion

I am converting my 1980 SC from the externally-regulated alternator to the internally-regulated version. Where can i find a detailed procedure for doing this? I searched threads and found nothing.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item0

You will see the links in the paragraph at the top of this page.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:23 PM
carman12
Track Day

I have that bulletin. Two things in it confuse me.

One is the addition of a 91-ohm resistor in parallel with the 2-watt bulb, as a substitute for the 4-watt bulb of the later cars. The measured resistance of the two-watt bulb is 8.4 ohms. My calculation (reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of the resistances) for resistances in parallel is that the 91-ohm resistor is too large by an order of magnitude. What am I missing here?

The other is the direction to "fasten multiple-pin connector of removed regulator on wire harness." What does that do? According to my wiring diagram for the 1980 SC, The wiring to the regulator is all branched from the corresponding wiring that goes directly to, respectively, the charge-warning light, ground, and the starter. This remaining wiring looks like the same circuit as the internal-regulator systems. So, the sub loom to the regulator appears to become superfluous. What am I missing here?
Old 03-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

I checked the math really quick and got 40 ohms instead of 36 ohms using 12 volts. Should be close enough. The resistance of bulbs changes with operation. I am not sure about your reading on the ohmmeter. The bulletin said this only needs to be done if the bulb won't go out. Did you try it?

My harness is just disconnected and dangling. I think they want you to fasten it just so it won't dangle and possible wear through.

I bought my car and it was already converted so I have not performed this conversion but I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Alternator conversion