Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Why am I scared to drive a 911 every day?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009 | 01:57 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
That's fine for you, but you may not be in the same financial position as the original poster. Your attitude (me me me, I want I want I want) is one of the biggest reasons people make unwise decisions and wind up in financial trouble.

Life is too short to make careless decisions. To the original poster: Jump too soon and your dream may be dashed on the rocks. Wait until there is no doubt in your mind.

Great reply....the OP said he doesn't make much money, which is what prompted my mini-sermon on staying away from financing.

Not to be a killjoy, but this whole financial thing ain't getting any better right now-there are a lot of episodes of pain coming down the pike yet. It may be wise to hang on to one's finances and stay lean and mean for the time being. I've personally decided to ignore my wife's approval to buy another rear-engined toy, just because of the uncertainty.

But, on the lighter side, I am dropping a few $$ in Ruby!
Old 02-14-2009 | 02:10 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
That's fine for you, but you may not be in the same financial position as the original poster. Your attitude (me me me, I want I want I want) is one of the biggest reasons people make unwise decisions and wind up in financial trouble.

Life is too short to make careless decisions. To the original poster: Jump too soon and your dream may be dashed on the rocks. Wait until there is no doubt in your mind.
Me me me....I want I want I want....that's kind of the reason why everybody buys a toy like a 911 isn't it? It's certainly not a NEED purchase.

It's also not about how much money you make...it's how much you can save.
Old 02-14-2009 | 03:01 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Buying my 911 and daily driving it (see my other threads) was probably one of the least sensible decisions I have ever made, still don't regret it to this day.
Old 02-14-2009 | 04:49 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Re: financing...see my sig? Not one of them was paid for with cash. Not a single regret.

..well, other than selling them.
Old 02-14-2009 | 04:51 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its like getting married or having kids... if you wait until you can afford it - you will never do it.
Old 02-14-2009 | 04:58 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by old man neri
Buying my 911 and daily driving it (see my other threads) was probably one of the least sensible decisions I have ever made, still don't regret it to this day.
I can't agree with you more!
Old 02-14-2009 | 07:09 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nine11
It's also not about how much money you make...it's how much you can save.
Well, that arguement goes to the votes here for not financing. Making a $200-300-400/month car payment gets in the way of that.

Originally Posted by old man neri
A lot of us can say this-but that has nothing to do with financing or not. I took at $10K Carrera and turned it into a $40K Carrera that is worth 1/3 of that. But, who's counting?

The last thing I'll say on this is that I wish I had a father or someone to counsel me on financial matters in my early years. I don't think anyone here can look anyone else in the eyes and tell them that paying cash for a 20+ year old 911 is bad advice.
Old 02-14-2009 | 07:24 PM
rgrimm
Instructor

My take, FWIW.

Some great deals now, if you're able to swing it. As far as ongoing costs, it's the mechanicals that will kill you. If you can live with a few cosmetic imperfections, find a car that's already had its valve work done, a clutch replaced, brake work. Find someone that was meticulous in keeping up their car mechanically and selling it because of space concerns, new car on order... Watch club newsletters, etc.

Keep your eyes open for the opportunities. You'll know the car when you see it.
Old 02-14-2009 | 07:30 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by kallberg
Zim's book is on the way from Amazon and I am looking for my first 911.
I keep telling myself that it is not a good idea to buy the one car that I have held on the pedestal for so many years, as a daily driver because it will only let me down.
I dont want to buy one and have to constantly pour money that I dont have into it. I dont make that much, so I am afraid she will put me in over my head. Am I over thinking this? I am very mechanically inclined (motorcycle mechanic for 10years) so the labor is not an issue.
If you're mechanically inclined then you have nothing to sweat about. I drove a 911 daily for many years. I still do nearly today except when I need another vehicle for hauling, etc.
Old 02-14-2009 | 07:36 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I don't think anyone here can look anyone else in the eyes and tell them that paying cash for a 20+ year old 911 is bad advice.
That's what I did. Of course everything I have ever bought I have always paid cash so this is nothing new to me.
Old 02-14-2009 | 08:11 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

The financial dilemma is yours and yours alone to resolve. Nobody knows your numbers so taking financial advice off the internet is nothing more than listening to an opinion.

As for the buying of a 911....these things are toys. They also cost money. These things were expensive euro cars new...just because they have depreciated doesn't mean the maintenance costs have also depreciated. They still cost a good chunk to run....especially now that they are senior citizens. If you can wrench yourself, you can save some money in that respect, but these cars aren't maintenance free nor trouble free....so it does cost you to enjoy the 911 experience.
Old 02-15-2009 | 01:07 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"As for the buying of a 911....these things are toys."

I've heard many things about 911s that I disagree with...
this statement is near the top of that list.
Old 02-15-2009 | 01:27 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

They are toys, at least many of them here. Mine is a toy when it comes down to it.

There are certainly other cars one can buy that make more sense from a practical standpoint. That's what my Ridgeline is for.

These babies are truly a discretionary purchase with the intention of having fun. So, basically they are toys that fit that need.
Old 02-15-2009 | 03:21 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
They are toys, at least many of them here. Mine is a toy when it comes down to it.
A good lookin' toy too!
Old 02-15-2009 | 09:07 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pay cash as well, and I could pay off all my debt tommorrow, but I run a business, and I need deductions. I did not buy my first Porsche until I was 40.

One point worth making. Some people love the earlier 911s, and have no problems with the gearbox or shifting. Others prefer the later Carreras with the G50 box. I could send my wife to the grocery with a G50. She was not allowed to drive my last SC. I think you should get some Porsche buddies and see if you can't get behind the wheel of a couple, to see how they drive, and how you like it. Early 911s appeal to me, but I am from a different era, and I like my mechanical things to be pretty basic. Later 911s are much more refined and easy to drive.

Of all the cars I have ever driven, Top five would be 140 mph Formula Dodge, 81 911 SC Euro, 93 supercharged Mazda Miata LE and 400 HP Dodge Viper. That would put the 911 at the top of the list for street cars. Notice how the Mazda is ahead of the Viper. For less than half the cost of a fair 911 you can buy a built Miata that you can take to the track or let your wife go out for milk in. It will keep up with most cars on the road, and be as fast, or most likely faster than a US spec 911 SC in a straight line, and on the track as well.

My point ? You should be in the game, driving a fun car that you can afford and enjoy. Drop a valve in a 911, and you are talking about a 6,000.00 repair. Blow a supercharged Miata engine, and you can bolt in a new one for 500.00 bucks. They drive well, shift well, handle well and are flat out fast to well past 100 MPH. What am I saying ? You should have a car that is a great driver, and you can do it responsibly.

Some dreams are worth waiting for. That doesn't mean you can't have a good life now. We are all rooting for you. We just don't want to see you get burnt.

Quick Reply: Why am I scared to drive a 911 every day?