Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Why am I scared to drive a 911 every day?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience is not unlike yours, I also wanted a 911 since youth. I bought my car at 27 years. Last year I bought a 964 and I love driving it and I drive it everyday. In terms of repairs, I have done two oil services, tires, brake caliper repair, and picked a DME Relay chip. What you need is a nice example and go from there. The 3.2's are a great value as well as the 964. Drive as many as you can even Boxsters. See what you enjoy driving. Intially I thought about buying a 3.2, ended up driving a 964 and fell in love. These are great cars and can be driven everyday.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:17 PM
porsche930dude
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a big reason many people never even consider buying a porsche. They think itll be too expensive and its too good to be a daily. Which for the most part isnt true. Buy one !
Old 02-13-2009, 10:25 PM
kallberg
Advanced

So basically what you guys are telling me is to pull the d@*m trigger?

I will not do anything till I read Pete's book cover to cover, keep a few bucks in the savings for repairs and against Ed's advice, I will be financing the car. :0 I dont have that kind of horsepower to just pony up and buy out right. I dont plan on spending more than $15k up front, so I will not have a very large payment, plus I have a beater to drive everyday.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Kallberg, you won't be the first to finance a 911. But, take it from someone who's been around a while longer-you accumulate wealth a lot quicker when you don't finance stuff. I used to finance a lot of stuff in my younger years, but as I look back, it wasn't wise.

You stated you don't make that much-it will be highly painful if you're making payments on a car that is sitting in the garage because you have to finance a transmission rebuild, or some other such issue. If you miss a shift in your proposed car, you can count on spending $6-10K if you rebuild yourself, to put it in perspective. If your transaxle goes, you could be looking at $4K. You don't get ahead making payments. The financial troubles we see now are because too many people borrowed too much-society got way skewed.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:18 AM
VroomGrrl
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Kallberg, you won't be the first to finance a 911. But, take it from someone who's been around a while longer-you accumulate wealth a lot quicker when you don't finance stuff. I used to finance a lot of stuff in my younger years, but as I look back, it wasn't wise.

You stated you don't make that much-it will be highly painful if you're making payments on a car that is sitting in the garage because you have to finance a transmission rebuild, or some other such issue. If you miss a shift in your proposed car, you can count on spending $6-10K if you rebuild yourself, to put it in perspective. If your transaxle goes, you could be looking at $4K. You don't get ahead making payments. The financial troubles we see now are because too many people borrowed too much-society got way skewed.
Oh Ed.

IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF

IF I operated as you suggest, I would not have my 911. Which I financed, which I track & autox, which is one of the brightest things in my life, which I do not regret for a second.

Nuff said.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:49 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

You only live once...and you're only on earth for a short period of time. If one of your dreams is to run a 911, then do it. Finance, cash...it's a personal choice. If you can slap the money down, then do it. If you have the cajones to finance it...then do that too. It's only money.

I dreamed of 911's from when I was an elementary schoolboy. Dreamed of 964's when I first saw them in high school. I told myself, before I'm 30. On my 30th, I decided to postpone the purchase. Waited 6 months after my 30th and went scouting for one. Got it before my 31st. Never looked back. I get to enjoy my dream car, with my wife and 2 kids. Grin from ear to ear baby. Sure it cost some money, but you can always make the money back. You can never get time away from the 911 back.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:00 AM
kallberg
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nine11
You only live once...and you're only on earth for a short period of time. If one of your dreams is to run a 911, then do it. Finance, cash...it's a personal choice. If you can slap the money down, then do it. If you have the cajones to finance it...then do that too. It's only money.

I dreamed of 911's from when I was an elementary schoolboy. Dreamed of 964's when I first saw them in high school. I told myself, before I'm 30. On my 30th, I decided to postpone the purchase. Waited 6 months after my 30th and went scouting for one. Got it before my 31st. Never looked back. I get to enjoy my dream car, with my wife and 2 kids. Grin from ear to ear baby. Sure it cost some money, but you can always make the money back. You can never get time away from the 911 back.
Thank you
Old 02-14-2009, 04:54 AM
therotman
7th Gear

Originally Posted by kallberg
I already have the dd taken care of. A trusty 82 Toyota Corolla Wagon
And Daniel your right, I do sound like I am not ready. It is something I think about every night before bed. My first 911. Have for almost 20yrs. Im 32 now.
Im afraid if I dont get one now, then after we start a family, it will be that much longer before I get the chance to buy one again. :'(
If you have a beater and are married buy one now.

My wife always wanted a porsche and was 100% behind me searching for the perfect car for a year. She was 100% behind me buying a car I had never seen, paying thousands for a engine rebuild and then flying to texas to pick up the car before ever seeing it, even while she was pregnant.

Now we have two kids, not making as much money as we used to and there is no chance in hell she would support me in the slightest bit in buying the same car. Selling it OTOH seems silly so we have 3 cars instead.

Buy, buy, buy! Prices are down.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brads911sc
Disagree with Daniel. Cant buy a well sorted 911 that wouldn't have issues for 11k. Every 911 is a 20k car... Most well sorted 82-83 SC cars are 13-15k and most well sorted 84-89's are 15-18k cars and you will still spend some in year 1 to knock any bugs out. If you dont have 2k in emergency funds then i wouldnt buy it... I would advise against buying an 11k 911.

Prices are down, but you have to shop around. I saw a really nice Carrera go for 14.5 just before Christmas, and I am still kicking myself for being slow. I just pulled the trigger on a built 78 for 11. I will have to let you know how that turns out, but it looks promising. As has been said, prices are down, but you have to keep your eyes open. The good cheap cars are selling in less than a week. In many cases, the cars were being offered for higher prices, and the price has been lowered.

Pelican has a good for sale forum. Over the past couple of years, I have noticed that some nice cars at lowball prices tend to get listed right around Christmas, and some deals show up until right before Spring hits, when people decide to hold out for warm weather, when prices usually rise. Not so sure how it will be this year.

The cars are out there. Lots for sale on the west coast. Maybe worth taking a drive South.

Joining the PCA, and finding the local 911 guys might be a good move. Finding a trusworthy local 911 mechanic will also be critical, even for someone who is planning on doing most of the work themselves. As Pete states in his book, a Pre Purchase Inspection is critical.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Brads911sc
Racer

Dan, Your points are well taken. I think that regardless a good PPI is required. There are probably more 13-18k cars that pass a PPI than 11k cars... Just be careful on the lower end of the price scale...
Old 02-14-2009, 10:14 AM
MDL
Racer

Originally Posted by ked
stop thinking. screw the fear. buy one & get on with it.

There's a big part of me that agrees with the above statement...HOWEVER, right now I would not be thinking of financing or buying ANYTHING. Hold on to your $$$ and wait a few years and see what happens. In the mean time you can still enjoy the hunt.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Todsimpson
Racer

Let's say you had some cash, I would still finance it and keep the cash in reserve.

I don't mind financing old cars when I have to because there's not much depreciation. In a few payments you're on the upside. Compare that to a new car where you make payments for 3 years and still never get your head above water.

And if it all goes to hell and the car has some catastrophic failure, park it, use the daily and learn to wrench. You'll get help if you need it.

Now, if the payment means you'll be eating noodles every night that's another story....then you should wait, but that's your call.

Oh, and when you do have kids...it gives you a fun activity together!
Old 02-14-2009, 12:03 PM
VroomGrrl
Advanced

Originally Posted by MDL
There's a big part of me that agrees with the above statement...HOWEVER, right now I would not be thinking of financing or buying ANYTHING. Hold on to your $$$ and wait a few years and see what happens. In the mean time you can still enjoy the hunt.
Glass half empty? Or half full?

The current market conditions make it a buyer's market for most big ticket items, creating opportunities for awesome deals on things like cars and houses that we will probably not see again for a very long time.

If ever there was a good time to buy, it's NOW.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:07 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VroomGrrl
Oh Ed.

IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF IF

IF I operated as you suggest, I would not have my 911. Which I financed, which I track & autox, which is one of the brightest things in my life, which I do not regret for a second.

Nuff said.
That's fine for you, but you may not be in the same financial position as the original poster. Your attitude (me me me, I want I want I want) is one of the biggest reasons people make unwise decisions and wind up in financial trouble.

Life is too short to make careless decisions. To the original poster: Jump too soon and your dream may be dashed on the rocks. Wait until there is no doubt in your mind.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:18 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In addition to Pete's outstanding book, you may also want to get the latest eddition of Bruce's "911 Handbook". Read them both and you will have a much much better idea of the game you want to play. Ask lots of questions and refer to this forum frequently for advice. There is a lot of myth about these cars and it is mostly dispelled within these threads. Take your time and, as stated before, drive lots of cars. Drive every one you can - typically you will kiss a lot of frogs before you find the right car. If you do the research and drive evrything you can, you will know the right car when it comes along. It will not happen quick. And a PPI is a must. An hour of tech labor can and will save you thousands. Belive me.

Quick Reply: Why am I scared to drive a 911 every day?