Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 12:07 PM
VroomGrrl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Down South We Call 'Em TARS - tire feedback please

Hello yall,

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaack

Been a crazy few months. I cannot believe it's February already, and my autox (scca solo II) season starts NEXT WEEKEND with test & tune.

The wheels were off my car a few weeks ago - for the first time since I bought it in July. I had a friend replacing my rear brake pads for me (supposed to be showing me how but that's another story!). And I was able to see that my right front tire had a bit of cord showing toward the inside edge. Eeek! The rest were also showing wear, so it's time for new tires.

Currently I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s, 205/55R16 front, 225/50R16 rear (on "stock" Fuchs 6s/7s). The sidewalls on these are pretty soft for competitive/high performance driving, though. So I'm looking for something a little more track-friendly. But whatever I get has to be a tire for all things - they'll be on the car full-time & taking me to & from the track in addition to performing on track. I'll be doing much more autox than big track stuff - 1 AX event per month, and maybe 3 HPDE weekends over the coming year.

For a number of reasons, I think I've decided to get new tires in the same sizes as my old ones. This seriously limits my selection - there are not many tires which come in both of these exact sizes. Falken Azenis RT-615 was looking really good and came very highly recommended - but they don't come in my sizes, for example, nor anything close enough that I could go to a different size on my current wheels.

These do come in my sizes, and I'm curious if any of you have experience you can share, particularly as to sidewall sturdiness & performance, and all-weather (wet, not cold) handling:

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
Hankook Ventus R-S2
BF Goodrich gForce Sport
Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R

Based on the online reviews & some local feedback, I'm leaning toward the Dunlops. I'd love to hear opinions on any of these, and of course, I'm open to suggestions for other tires.

Except Kuhmos - I promised my PO I would never put those on "his" (MY) car and I am a woman of my word
Old 02-09-2009, 04:06 PM
rluciano
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs (or more accurately my wife does) on a 1986 944 and a 1993 BMW M5. I really like them great tire for the money. Neither my wife nor I have the other tires on your list on any of our cars.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:07 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

A few things come to mind.

1) Be very careful with 'online reviews'. If they are customer reviews they are essentially worthless. If they are side by side comparisons done by a maganize or someone like tire rack then they are useful. See link below. Tire rack also has a lot of 'tests'
2) Why no Kuhmos? Every manufacturer makes good tires and bad tires.

Another tire I would look at would be the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, I think there is a $50 rebate going on right now.

The size you mentioned is the correct one and I would not deviate from that. Lastly, if you were showing cord on the inside it probably means you need an alignment. I would get one before you get new tires.

Here is some reading that might help.

Car and driver testing Dec 2005
Old 02-09-2009, 05:37 PM
VroomGrrl
Advanced

Originally Posted by old man neri
A few things come to mind.

1) Be very careful with 'online reviews'. If they are customer reviews they are essentially worthless. If they are side by side comparisons done by a maganize or someone like tire rack then they are useful. See link below. Tire rack also has a lot of 'tests'
2) Why no Kuhmos? Every manufacturer makes good tires and bad tires.

Another tire I would look at would be the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, I think there is a $50 rebate going on right now.

The size you mentioned is the correct one and I would not deviate from that. Lastly, if you were showing cord on the inside it probably means you need an alignment. I would get one before you get new tires.

Here is some reading that might help.

Car and driver testing Dec 2005
Thanks so much!

I just pulled the trigger on the Dunlops. They'll be here in a few days, and I am definitely getting an alignment and maybe also corner balance. I'm having the tires sent to the shop that'll mount them for me, and I got the rest set up as well. I may make it out this weekend after all.

I was suuuuper tempted to try some Michelin Sport Cups. But I didn't feel like doing any financial gymnastics to come up with the cash for those ($1K) by this weekend. Yeah, nothing like doing things last minute!

And just so you know, I didn't rely on online reviews on manufacturer/vendor sites. The tirerack comparison info was excellent. I consulted some older GRM magazines also. that's where I got the Falken idea originally, but those don't come in my sizes. And I talked to some real live people! Some of the folks from my local clubs, the guys where I have my car worked on, and also I have finally hooked up with a local Pcar owner who lives less than a mile away and he's been awesome (offered me the loan of his 944 wheels with Toyo RA1s). I got some helpful feedback in response to simliar posts on pelican, and my local club forums, too.

Why yes, I have driven everybody within 10,000 miles of me insane with my tire shopping questions!

The Kuhmo thing is a joke I think - but I AM a woman of my word, so I did not consider them There are enough other good options that this did not seem to hamstring me in anyway.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:19 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm having somewhat a hard time following the original post, but I'm glad you have made a decision on something.

I also need to make a tire decision soon, as my Bridgestone RE 750s are wearing down.

I have: 205s in front, 245s in back.

I used to like the Bridgestone S-02 PP, and the S-03 PP tires, but they were discontinued (245/45).

I know a lot of Autocrossers buy Kuhmos because they have good grip and don't cost a fortune. I have heard good things about Hankooks Ventus as well.

I am totally confused as to Michellin because they call every tire a "Pilot" "Sport" "Cup", and as Neri says, everyone makes a good and bad tire. I want to avoid Michellin's bad tire, but they name all of their tires the same.

I think the Brigestone RE750s are ok, but they look like they might be discontinued (not on the Tire Rack website). I don't mind paying a premium for major brand tires since I do some driving in the boonies, and don't want to get a blowout.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I can't see myself EVER buying a tire named Hankook.

I too HIGHLY recommend the Goodyear F1 DSG3's, they are an awesome tire that fared extremely well in the first semi-scientific road test comparison of tires C&D did a couple of years ago. I tracked a set for a year. The best street tires I've driven. Not far off R compounds, IMO. Very grippy on dry surface-SUPERB on wet.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak

I am totally confused as to Michellin because they call every tire a "Pilot" "Sport" "Cup", and as Neri says, everyone makes a good and bad tire. I want to avoid Michellin's bad tire, but they name all of their tires the same.
Actually, they don't. The "Pilot Sport Cup" name is only assigned to one tire-an R Compound offering- in their line. They do offer "Pilot Sports" too-a street tire-but it takes the "Cup" at the end of the name to turn to R's. Great tires, but only on a stock weight Carrera, or heavier, IMO. I'm finally retiring a set after about 15 track days and 5K on the street. My only gripe is they like heat. Lighter cars take an extra lap or so to get hot enough to stick. Before then, they can be kinda slippery, especially on cold mornings.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:31 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I can't see myself EVER buying a tire named Hankook.

I too HIGHLY recommend the Goodyear F1 DSG3's, they are an awesome tire that fared extremely well in the first semi-scientific road test comparison of tires C&D did a couple of years ago. I tracked a set for a year. The best street tires I've driven. Not far off R compounds, IMO. Very grippy on dry surface-SUPERB on wet.
I know, but their tire models are HAWTTT. It's down to Falken, Toyo, Hankook and some funky Korean tire. I'll go with whichever one has the hottest tire models. Maybe.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:39 PM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

Ed,
I have one DE left on my Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires, 235/255X17". my 911 is 2800lb, and I know what you mean. they have been great tires, but a bit pricey and take a couple laps to get hot.

I am looking at the info on the new Toyo R888. anyone use them yet or have any feedback? also looking at the new Nito, don't recall #.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I've got a new set of Advan A048R's ready to mount on the new wheels. I'll report on those when I get to a track with them.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:55 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

PS-2's are great tires and although they aren't cheap they do last. I also have a set of the Falkens that I use when its wet but I do love the hoo hoo's.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

I use Pirelli P-Zero Neros and love them.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:22 PM
jhubs
Racer

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
+1....I have had two sets of the Goodyear Eagle F1 DS G3's on two different Porsches and I LOVE them...quiet, sticky on dry pavement and great in water...NOT a winter tire, however.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:41 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

A slight consensus for the Goodyear F1s. I guess I'll be buying those.

Bridgestone makes two types of S-02s. One is the Pole Position tire with I think ZR speed rating. The other is a plain H or whatever rating. The non Pole Position tires are down right awful.

I used to have a set of Yokohama AVS Intermediates on the 914-6. Great tires in dry weather. They are like gumballs and stick like mad. But they are so scary in the rain, I could not recommend them.

I have heard good things about the Pirellis, but that they wear fast like the Continentals. Is this true?
Old 02-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Pirelli p zero neros have a treadwear rating of 400.. among the highest in this grade of tire... I have no complaints...
It depends on how you drive it. I drive 3k a year, spirited driving, very little rain. no track use. these have 5k on them. no noticeable wear. I tend to replace them every 4 years... with plenty of tread left, just due to age... Others will have to speak to their longevity as a daily driver or track tire.
They stick better than my last set (bridgestone potenza pole position)... but again i think it depends on how you use them.

Quick Reply: Down South We Call 'Em TARS - tire feedback please