Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Boge strut interchangeability question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 01:17 PM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Boge strut interchangeability question

I recently bought a set of replacement struts for my 83 cabriolet. Mine has stock Boges right now, p/n 911 341 043 02 (on the driver's side). The replacements I bought look like they came off a Carrera (911 341 041 04). I know teh caliper spacing is still correct, but is there any other reason I could not use this strut on my car. My gut says no, but I wanted to double-check with you guys, as I will be on limited time once I get back to Rapid City to make the repairs. I guess a more specific question would be, is there any reason I cannot use this Carrrera strut on my driver's side while keeping the stock SC strut on the PAX side - both are Boges. I will eventually swap them both for the Carrera's (uh, please don't mention this to any of the guys on the 32C thread... ;-) ). I am just trying to minimize the repair time while there, but want to make sure it will not be an issue to intermingle as it is a long drive home. So far, to me, an untrained eye, it looks like the only difference might be a tab on the Carrera strut. I think someone mentioned this is for a brake sensor.

Thanks

Last edited by v8_ranch; 02-08-2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: sorry cannot delete
Old 02-08-2009, 05:13 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The brake sensor strut is not a problem. The only difference between Carrera and SC is the rotor thickness. Carrera calipers have a spacer between the caliper halves to allow thicker rotors, which allow more heat absorption and dissipation.

What I am trying to say is that the struts will work. The bolt spacing and spindle dimensions are the same.

The thing that would not work is trying to put Boge cartridges into Bilstein struts. Since you are (I think?) changing the whole strut, no problem. But your stock Boge cartriges wont work in Carrera struts if they are Bilsteins.

I think my stock Carrera struts were Bilsteins, but it's been so long since I changed them I don't remember now.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:20 PM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2009, 05:22 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

btw, run this by Sherman, the 911peecars guy, and he'll give you a thorough answer, if not a brief one.

Quick Reply: Boge strut interchangeability question