Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My 89 Coupe on the market

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 03:17 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,120 Likes on 802 Posts

cars are only one kind of investment ... bad ones ....

But having said that , marrying the wrong women is a way worse one
Old 02-06-2009, 03:27 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

For clarification, I didn't buy the car as an investment per se but I did make the purchase with the intent of the car holding its value.

Why should I depreciate the hell out of it by driving it every day? That makes little sense. I'd rather sell it, then buy another one when things are ironed out. It's not like I'm in love with the car or going to die without it.

I can live with another blue Carrera when the time comes and I'm single or marry an extremely rich woman with a healthy payout in the prenup.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:31 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,120 Likes on 802 Posts

go for the rich woman angle ...
Old 02-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

10k miles is not going to change the value all that much if at all, the economy did more to the value of the car than the miles
Old 02-06-2009, 11:09 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Originally Posted by Trader220
10k miles is not going to change the value all that much if at all, the economy did more to the value of the car than the miles
Excellent, which of your Porsches would you like to trade temporarily? I'll let you have my 89 until I find acceptable storage. You drive my car in only good weather, keep it clean, well maintained, and properly garaged. I'll drive yours as my daily driver and treat in the appropriate manner.

Your car won't depreciate with the extra mileage.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:21 PM
Trader220
Race Car

I have driven each of the Porsches I have owned all year round except the 964 speedster. Putting 10k miles on the car is not going to effect the value much if any.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:53 PM
dmw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might as well keep it.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:38 AM
DL Lawrence
Instructor

Sorry to see you let that car go- I was following the thread when you bought it. That's a very nice car. Whatever you decide to do, you'll like the Richmond area from a Pcar perspective. There's a great PCA chapter here, a few good independent shops, and an active network of "porschephiles" here in central VA. Lot's of good folks around this area from the Pelican and Dorki boards also, and lot's of great cars and projects going on. Good Luck!
Old 02-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would do whatever it takes to keep that gem......
Old 02-11-2009, 11:42 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

I'm with RacerX........can't remember the rest. Sell it, period.

Its a car, its not piece of mind.

You can always find another one from people like me who keep one under wraps in case the other one blows up. Thats my twisted way of protection. I wonder if that would apply to a double condom?

I've been in your position and I know the angst, it will pass in time. I am taken by these vehicles but if I had a choice between worrying about keeping up the condition and paying storage space bla, bla...........bla, car gone. Good time to sell? oh' hell no!

Are you going to get spanked?, maybe. So what.......its a car. I could have retired years earlier if I hadn't lost money on cars I have sold.

Your life could be way worse
Old 02-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Originally Posted by cal44
I'm with RacerX........can't remember the rest. Sell it, period.

Its a car, its not piece of mind.

You can always find another one from people like me who keep one under wraps in case the other one blows up. Thats my twisted way of protection. I wonder if that would apply to a double condom?

I've been in your position and I know the angst, it will pass in time. I am taken by these vehicles but if I had a choice between worrying about keeping up the condition and paying storage space bla, bla...........bla, car gone. Good time to sell? oh' hell no!

Are you going to get spanked?, maybe. So what.......its a car. I could have retired years earlier if I hadn't lost money on cars I have sold.

Your life could be way worse

Well said, the truth of the matter is he's going to take a hit no matter when he sells is, whether its now or next year no matter what the economy does. Even when the economy picks up (2010?) prices of these cars are not going to go a lot higher if at all for a while and the 10k miles he may put on the car is not going to mean anything.

We have all, maybe not all but many of us have been in a position where they need to liquidate an asset they dont want to but thats part of life. Hey its worse if you have to liquidate an appreciating asset.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:45 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Part of me thinks for the price you want, the car will be in storage for a year before it sells. Did you call the place you bought it from to see if they want it back/consign it? Likely not what you want to hear though. I also agree that the difference between 65k miles and 75k miles isn't an issue from a resale perspective on a 20 y/o car. Now, if it was 6,500 miles I would agree. Sorry to hear of the circumstances for the sale. I'm with others. Let it sit under a cover near you (or stored near you) in Richmond or even use as a DD. These cars do love to be used and tend to be "cheaper" to maintaine when used regularly.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agree Racer. I doubt car would sell at 29k with 65k miles in this market. 65k isnt low mileage that would demand a premium price. 30-35k miles might be. Cars (87-89's) with 65k miles are being sold on evilbay all day long for 18-24k. I also think the white interior will hurt the sales price because most will want a black interior on these cars unless they are specifically looking for white. I personally would never consider a 20 yr old car with a white interior. its too hard to keep it looking in new quality. Alot of this is luck however. I hope you make the best decision for you. I personally would park it under a cover for six to nine months and see what life brings and /or see if the market starts to recover.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:14 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

You people are so good for my well being. This week confirmed my marriage is definitely over and you're telling me to just take a loss on the car.....

At this point, I've got a few alternatives going on in my head. I'm willing to take a light spanking on the car just to uncomplicate matters of storage and potential 'marital asset' issues.

If I can only get an offer for a major spanking, I'll keep the car and figure things out from there.

I'm investigating bargaining for a garage at my apartment hell at the moment and am still somewhat hopefull that there can be some sort of agreement this year on the divorce settlement. This level of optimism changes on a daily basis. In any case, I can suck it up for awhile and house the car in a rental garage. I have a feeling that being able to drive it out in the countryside will be crucial for my sanity in the coming months.

If I decide to hold onto the car for the next year or so then want to get into something else when the time is right, the first person that mentions that it wasn't properly garaged gets subscribed to every gay **** newsletter I can find.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Trader220
Race Car

If you need the cash and you need to get the car off the asset side of the ledger for divorce purposes then hit the bid and dont look back. Better yet hit the bid and report the sale at a lower price and then pocket the difference to stash away "off balance sheet". Even in the best of times you would not be able to sell the car at dealer retail, I know it sucks but put a realistic offer out there and dont look back.

Quick Reply: My 89 Coupe on the market