1978 SC Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:02 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Fantor
Whats wrong with Motor Meiser???
Just search both here and on pelican that way you go into it with both eyes open.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:35 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,107 Likes on 792 Posts

and spell it right too
Old 02-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Traud
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantor - Just went through all this last August. Bought an '82 SC Coupe with 200K for $11K. Had a thorough PPI done with leak down/compression, corrosion/rust, suspension, CIS, studs, valves, alignment, the works. The major stuff was very clean (i.e. engine, suspension). Interior brand new, paint original but could use a little restoration, stuff like that. Found a very good mechanic with experience and nice referrals.

Was a bit concerned about the mileage, but after the PPI and research, I learned that the engine was in failry good shape. Did go with the 930 chain tensionser kit. Was there when it was installed and the original tensioners were not too bad. Put a new set of Pirrelli's on it (with the correct PSI) and the car is a joy to drive.

Looking into a bit of maintenance myself with the help of the guys on this forum which have been top dead center on advice. The SC is a solid line in the 911 lineage I have learned. If your prospect car is clean and your PPI reveals nothing major, you may have a car to look into.

Mike '82 SC Coupe
Old 02-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Hladun1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an interesting post as a sign of the times. Yes prices have collapsed and weak buyers are now entering the market. Last year a kid played around looking at my car for a while before he lost the nerve. You can buy a Porsche for ~$5k but can you run it? As Clint said “do you feel lucky?”
Old 02-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This will get you more involved with the "buy" process...

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ter+Zimmermann

I humbly suggest that you should also consider going to Amazon.com and placing an order for the 8th edition of my book (see my signature).
Old 02-09-2009, 02:19 PM
DL Lawrence
Instructor

Fantor- As I'm sure you've heard, these are all $20,000 cars, by the time you get them sorted out. All good advice above, but if it was me (I'm a basic maintenance only guy), I'd look for an SC that has already been sorted. Like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-...QQcmdZViewItem

I have no affiliation and don't know the seller, but here you know your getting a great car with all records and history- turn key, if you will. Get Pete's book- it's a world of knowledge in there. These cars can bite you financially if you don't have the technical knowledge and skills to handle things like head studs, valve adjustments and repairs by yourself. Expensive surprises are not unheard of with these cars.

JMHO, YMMV, and all other usual disclaimers apply.

As far as Motor Meister is concerned- previous advice applies- do a search. Make your own judgement.

Good Luck!
Old 02-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I wouldn't get much more involved with the blue car in post #21 without seeing pictures of the headliner, dashboard (leather is shrinking - costly to replace), and seats without skins. Also the cover on the steering wheel is really funky...
Old 02-09-2009, 03:11 PM
DL Lawrence
Instructor

I noticed that steering wheel too- very fat recover. I also think it'd look much better if the Fuchs hadn't been painted, but that's just me...

I guess what led me to that example was the extensive maintenance records on the car. There are bunches out there nowadays, for sure! They seem to be kind of like houses- great time to buy, if you don't have one to sell!

Quick Reply: 1978 SC Advice