Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I'M BAAAACK. =) But my baby is hurting.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'M BAAAACK. =) But my baby is hurting.

Hey guys! Long time no see, mainly due to my first thesis defense at the end of last year. I passed! Anyway recently I have been commuting with my motorcycle and haven't been driving the 911 much. If anyone remembers the cabriolet top decided to do a number on me when the metal skeleton snapped in half As mechanics were quoting me in the 5-9 thousand dollar range I took up the project on my own with a family friend. A good engine welder later, with some expensive seals >.< and a new canvas, my ride was looking good as new. Cost was about a little under 3000.00 in parts. While we were at it we cleaned the throttle body, turns out someone overfilled oil before I bought the car because there was oil all over the throttle body! Ouch! I cleaned the intake, throttle body, and idle control valve and she was running much better. The only problem was that now when the car is cold the idle jumps up and down if I tap the gas. It used to not flinch at all. If I tap the gas to hard it sometimes stalls. When warm it runs perfectly fine. A week ago though, the car wouldn't start and I had to tow it, even with starter fluid it wouldn't start. It sat in my garage for a week and then I tried starting it and it started up fine and I even gave it some gas to test it and it was ok, no stalling. What do you think it might be? I have spark and the fuel pump seems to be working since the car runs..... New idle control valve? Temperature sensor? O2 sensor (not likely). Has anyone had this problem? Thanks in advance sorry for the long story! lol
Old 02-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My SC did not have a DME, but I hear tell that it is a good thing to have a known good spare in the glove box. Understand that I wouldn't know. Since you had a lot disconnected in the engine compartment, why not give all the connectors a good wiggle ?

I always liked your car.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:21 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the mixture checked.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:28 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,120 Likes on 802 Posts

I wouldn't be assuming anything until as Scott said i put an LM1 on it and checked the mixture. The o2 sensor could be trimming out your delivery once warmed up via the frequency circuit. But on a cold satrt it is the initial mixture that will have the biggest impact.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Oshin, welcome back.

This sounds like what I went threw when I had my intake apart. check the tubes in the back of the throtle body. I left one off and it did as you describe. I remember finding it with a dentist's mirror. check that out and get back to us. It may be a tube that comes over from the oil tank. I'm I helpful or what?
Old 02-03-2009, 12:48 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Yea I remember putting all the tubes back in but I will check. My initial guess was mixture or idle control valve since those were the two things that were tinkered with. Can I go to any old mechanic for a mixture check or a porsche guy only? They charge so much lol btw I will post pictures of my new motorcycle soon so stay alert =P
Old 02-03-2009, 01:00 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

The problem is most people do not have CO checking equipment anymre. You can go to anyone who can check CO and dial in a mixture.
I would educate myself on what you need to do though. There may be something special with disabling the o2 sensor on your car for set up.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Ill check the manual, thanks iceman.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:38 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

i think Pete just mentioned this a while go on another thread so do a search , or perhaps someone with a Carrera knows the procedure of checking CO. The manual will definitely give to the right adjustment numbers though.

Quick Reply: I'M BAAAACK. =) But my baby is hurting.