Introducing my 71' 911. also got a question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 11:16 AM
so gti
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Introducing my 71' 911. also got a question

hello guys,

this is my 71' 911 that I inherited from my grandfather almost 2 decades ago. Now, I am 28 yrs old so i got this car when I was 10 yrs old. I inherited this car right after my grandfather passed away and promised to my family that I would take care of it and never let it go. Now I've been away from my hometown for 15 years and never really got a chance to baby it....Although, this car has been taken care of by a shop that my grandfather trusted.

anyway, this car was bought new from authorized dealer in Japan, now it has 60,000 miles (original!), no aftermarket parts whatsoever. everything is original. the paint is still great, interior is also so clean that no one would believe this car is 38 yrs old.

I also inherited my grandfather's car enthusiasm. I've owned cars like VW R32 and E46 M3 when I was in the states. (now I'm back in Japan) I've been to many track events and also car shows (I always try to build my car both for race and show.) My dream is to buy my own 911 brand new (Euro delivery preferred ) and drive it 30-40 yrs and inherit it to my son. Right now, due to high cost of living in Tokyo, I haven't justified to own a car around here....parking fee costs $400 per month...crazy!

Enough with the history. here are pics. if you can't see pix, please click the link below the picture.

Lastly, I would like to ask what this color is called. I haven't had time to check under the hood to find out....if anyone know, let me know. I know it's not Minerva. something similar.

http://www.pbase.com/sogti/911

my M3 Photo

http://www.pbase.com/sogti/2006_july
Old 02-01-2009, 11:48 AM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice long hood. I would be more than happy to keep it in my garage to save you the $400 a month.
I am sure she would enjoy the warm Florida sun year round.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:00 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Beautiful car! Cool color. Hang onto it. And thanks for sharing.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:07 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Beautiful!
Old 02-02-2009, 11:18 AM
EliPitta
Track Day

NICE!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Very nice looking car. Great Smartie colour too!
Old 02-02-2009, 11:56 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Nice car and a nice story
Old 02-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Yes, what a great story and absolutely beautiful car. A 2.2L 911S with Sportomatic is rare. As you say the condition is very original.

The color looks to me to be Metalic Blue. Look on the driver's side door hinge post. There will be a small, square metal tag which will have the paint code. The code for a Metalic Blue coupe is 8484.

Is the VIN for your car 911130XXXX? The reason I ask is that '71 S models came standard with Recaro sport seats yet your car has the standard seats. Maybe that is different for a Japan market car.

Do you have all the original documents from your Grandfather? If so could you post some photos of them. I am curious what a documents came with a Japan market car. Beautiful photos BTW.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:42 PM
kallberg
Advanced

Beautiful!
Love the color and the car. You have good taste in cars, the M3 is great!
Old 02-09-2009, 01:29 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You are a lucky man.... my '70 S will never look like that in my dreams...

I know this is irrelevant, as you would never sell it, but an "S" in that kind of origional condition, and ownership history is very valuable indeed... to the right buyer, it would not surprise me if it broke 6 figures...

That notwithstanding, please drive the car whenever the opportunity permits... like a great champion race-horse, these cars are best with some regular excercise... not to mention being fabulous fun... even measured against the best of today's cars, these hold their own...

BTW... if you are looking for a modern Porsche to preseve for posterity, I believe the 993 model will prove to be a benchmark car... mid-high $30K you can find an absolutely flawless car if you look... for a more traditional approach, there are still some awfully nice SC/3.2 Carraras around for $25K or less... and these are sure to retain their value as the last/best of the traditional 911s.

Of the newer water-cooled cars:

The current range, while wonderful cars in their own right, are not likely to be "special" 20 odd years from now... there are lots and lots of them out there... for the price of a new Carrara, there are some interesting alternatives...

I'd consider a 996/997 GT3... these are special cars, and although they are still quite expensive, my guess is in 3-5 years, good examples will be availabe on the market for $40-60K... not that much considering the quality and performance... IMHO they will always be special cars

Finally, if you have deeper pockets, picking up a road-going homologation special such as the various GT3 RS/RSR etc is a no-brainer... very fast, very rare, and the pinnicle of their model range... I doubt whether you'll ever be able to buy one much under $75-110K or more, but if your pockets are ever that deep, git cha one.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:40 PM
gab997
Racer

She's purty!
Old 02-10-2009, 08:31 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

it's in Fabulous shape - the color might be Metallic Blue; it isn't Gemini

http://www.early911sregistry.org/ -- has the experts on the old cars and what exactly they had on them

Be sure to change the rubber brake hoses, tires, brake fluid and motor and gearbox oil...

more to keep you busy:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=189572
Old 02-10-2009, 10:52 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh my. That 911 is just "wow".
Old 02-14-2009, 02:08 AM
so gti
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Brian 96C2
Yes, what a great story and absolutely beautiful car. A 2.2L 911S with Sportomatic is rare. As you say the condition is very original.

The color looks to me to be Metalic Blue. Look on the driver's side door hinge post. There will be a small, square metal tag which will have the paint code. The code for a Metalic Blue coupe is 8484.

Is the VIN for your car 911130XXXX? The reason I ask is that '71 S models came standard with Recaro sport seats yet your car has the standard seats. Maybe that is different for a Japan market car.

Do you have all the original documents from your Grandfather? If so could you post some photos of them. I am curious what a documents came with a Japan market car. Beautiful photos BTW.
i will check the vin # out when i get home. it might be blue metallic. i've not seen many of them, actually I've never seen the same color in person, only in pictures. There is another story how my gradfather picked this color..he asked my mom what color she wants, and that time she didn't really care so she chose a color that he'd never picked. and that was this color...lol Actually, i love the color sooo much!!

and i am actually suspicious that this is an S...i checked other narrow porsches in japan but all of them come with S bumper and recaros. But this 911 is my grandfather's second 911 (he had 911E), so i would assume he got this car to upgrade from 911E...anyway, i need to check the vin# out.

I will get some pix of documents!
Old 02-14-2009, 02:13 AM
so gti
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JCP911S
You are a lucky man.... my '70 S will never look like that in my dreams...

I know this is irrelevant, as you would never sell it, but an "S" in that kind of origional condition, and ownership history is very valuable indeed... to the right buyer, it would not surprise me if it broke 6 figures...

That notwithstanding, please drive the car whenever the opportunity permits... like a great champion race-horse, these cars are best with some regular excercise... not to mention being fabulous fun... even measured against the best of today's cars, these hold their own...

BTW... if you are looking for a modern Porsche to preseve for posterity, I believe the 993 model will prove to be a benchmark car... mid-high $30K you can find an absolutely flawless car if you look... for a more traditional approach, there are still some awfully nice SC/3.2 Carraras around for $25K or less... and these are sure to retain their value as the last/best of the traditional 911s.

Of the newer water-cooled cars:

The current range, while wonderful cars in their own right, are not likely to be "special" 20 odd years from now... there are lots and lots of them out there... for the price of a new Carrara, there are some interesting alternatives...

I'd consider a 996/997 GT3... these are special cars, and although they are still quite expensive, my guess is in 3-5 years, good examples will be availabe on the market for $40-60K... not that much considering the quality and performance... IMHO they will always be special cars

Finally, if you have deeper pockets, picking up a road-going homologation special such as the various GT3 RS/RSR etc is a no-brainer... very fast, very rare, and the pinnicle of their model range... I doubt whether you'll ever be able to buy one much under $75-110K or more, but if your pockets are ever that deep, git cha one.
The modern 911s that I would like to get is 993 C4S or 997 C4S. I just love rear fender flares for some reason. GT3 is nice but i think it's a little bit too harsh for city drive in Japan.
I know 996 is very reasonable right now but i just cant stand the interior (not to offense anyone who own it). I love 997.1's exterior. It really reminds of classic 911s.

Today, i am renting 987 boxter S. my first seat time in modern porsche. i am so exited!

and thanks to all of who made comments!

Quick Reply: Introducing my 71' 911. also got a question