Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

When does it end? I just made a new to-do list today-YIKES!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 07:05 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts
Default When does it end? I just made a new to-do list today-YIKES!

I'm sitting here watching the Rolex 24 recording from last weekend (I was at the track myself) and while sitting next to the car sipping a couple of Blue Moons and smoking one of Cuba's finest, making a list of what I need to do. It hit me that I should quit work and work on the old girl full time:

Driver's Seat: I ordered a Recaro Profi SPG XL last night with some B-K sidemounts and a double slider. Part of this install is going to be taking a hard look at whether I want to strip out the sound-deadening which is already chipped up in places, and then repaint the floor with POR 15.

Front Pan: I've got a perforation toward the middle of the car several inches from the A arm mount on the driver's side. It is from old battery acid, I believe, from the old wet cell. It appears to be the low point where some acid may've worked its way down. I'll do a little cutting and weld in a patch as part of the exploration of this. At worst case, an order to Restoration Design for some new sheet metal will be in order. Oh well....

Suspension: This is one where all I have to do is write a check this time. When I get my new wheels in (hopefully in a couple of weeks), I'll get the tires mounted and then I'm taking her to Jae @ Mirage for custom shock valving, raised spindles, corner balance and alignment, and some work to give me a bit more camber up front. I'm OK with how she is now, but I'm at the end of my expertise here, and there is room for improvement, IMO.

New Windshield/Dash: Not immediate, but I ordered new front window molding and a seal in preparation of pulling the windshield later this year (it will be replaced too) as well as pulling my dash for a recover in Alcantara. I just noticed a seam in the leather that is starting to split, so this is on the radar now.

New rear brake pads: I really like the Porterfield R4-S pads I put in the front a few weeks ago, I'm gonna replace the Pagids in the rear to match. I may go to 930 rotors too, but the stock Carrera rotors do work with the 993 calipers, there is just a bit of overhang on one end of the pads.

Smuggler's Box/Evap Removal: Not a priority, but I never did remove this when I pulled the A/C a few years ago.

A few other misc items like a good waxing, adjusting the passenger door latch, valve adjust using my new VAS 911 screwdriver, etc, round it out. All of this, work, track time and general life will make for a busy 2009. Oh, did I mention I really should drop the engine and reseal the cam tower to the heads on the driver's side?
Old 01-31-2009, 07:46 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ed, I just sent off a PM to you
Old 01-31-2009, 10:35 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ed, for the new guys would you post some pictures of your engine. I often find myself day dreaming of such a car. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

to ge everyone up to speed:

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...t=engine+build

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...t=engine+build
Old 02-01-2009, 02:26 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Trust me Doug, I love my car and she's fun, but there are a lot of other cars here on the board that would outshine her. She started as a faded and neglected old Targa, and I've breathed a bit of life (and a lot of money) into her. I just keep dumping money into this car, 'cuz I can't afford to sell her! Not sure if it makes Ruby any better, but it keeps me off the streets.

Here are some engine pics:
Attached Images     
Old 02-01-2009, 02:42 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm out the door in a few, just wanted to drop in and say daaaayyummm, clean engine. I will save the engine rebuild thread in Favorite Places.

Quick Reply: When does it end? I just made a new to-do list today-YIKES!