Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Head studs an issue on a '77 2.7?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 07:09 PM
mykle57
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head studs an issue on a '77 2.7?

Hi, This is my first post to the forum.

I'm looking at a '77 911s with about 78K miles this weekend. Seller says the thermal reactors have been removed long ago, there appears to be an 11 blade fan. Engine appears to be the origional and never rebuilt.

Question is, are the head studs likely to be a problem on this engine?
(I've heard conflicting storys this issue had been resolved for 1977 models).

Thanks, mykle
Old 01-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Possible double trouble. They can pull, and if the car is one of the first Dilavar stud engines they can also break. The following link should be of extreme importance to you...

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ter+Zimmermann
Old 01-30-2009, 02:25 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I spent $8K rebuilding my 77 2.7 6 years ago when the bolts pulled and the cylinders got messed up from the movement. That sure was a fun car and wish I hadnt sold it. It had 78K on the odometer.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jimq
I spent $8K rebuilding my 77 2.7 6 years ago when the bolts pulled and the cylinders got messed up from the movement. That sure was a fun car and wish I hadnt sold it. It had 78K on the odometer.
Doing the same engine work today with damaged cylinders will cost a lot more than $8K.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:21 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 128 Posts

If the engine didn't have the Dilavars installed some time back it will be a trap ready to snap. Even if the thermal reactors were removed a long time ago the question is how much heat damage to bottom engine seals was done? I'm immediately suspicious of a 1977 with only 78K. I wouldn't go near a 1977 for anything!
Old 02-02-2009, 08:02 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Surely one of the points for consideration should be 'how much'? If the car is at a bargain basement price then an engine rebuild could be factored in?

Although thousands of this era were manufactured these cars are in danger of disappearing because no-one wants to sort them out. They have a light body and can provide excellent fast motoring in the right hands. I appreciate that with the US models with thermal reactors etc. heat can influence the condition of the engine - here in the Uk we wern't afflicted with thermals but I have a '76 that went over 100K without a problem and when the engine was pulled and stripped the head studs were fine (had inserts and new style studs fitted as part of a rebuild - oil leaks, worn out barrels and cams). Now fit for the next 150K.

Just another point of view.

PJC
Old 02-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by pjc
Surely one of the points for consideration should be 'how much'? If the car is at a bargain basement price then an engine rebuild could be factored in?

Although thousands of this era were manufactured these cars are in danger of disappearing because no-one wants to sort them out. They have a light body and can provide excellent fast motoring in the right hands. I appreciate that with the US models with thermal reactors etc. heat can influence the condition of the engine - here in the Uk we wern't afflicted with thermals but I have a '76 that went over 100K without a problem and when the engine was pulled and stripped the head studs were fine (had inserts and new style studs fitted as part of a rebuild - oil leaks, worn out barrels and cams). Now fit for the next 150K.

Just another point of view.

PJC

Well said,....

I agree wholeheartedly. These are VERY well made cars that in the right hands, can be made to be very durable.

The 2.7's steel studs themselves, don't cause a problem. Its the threaded holes in the mag case that fail and its all due to excessive heat. Install Case Savers, a front oil cooler, lose the "Chernobyl" Thermal Reactors, and you have a great car due to light weight and excellent build quality.

Some '77 cars get a big engine transplant to make them a LOT of fun especially in a real "Q-Ship" package.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:32 PM
911S3.6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove my 1975 911S 2.7 to 130,000 miles with no problems.
Eventually the cases showed seepage > a symptom of pulled studs.
I opted for the above SW mentioned conversion.
These cars have been bashed and put down for years, and because of that, are
really affordable to buy at a good price [ if they have not been abused, modified etc and the price is right]

Light and agile, good looking, and a great base for building on.

They only got fatter, heavier, and more optioned out through the 993, which was the heaviest.
They actually got lighter again with the 996 - though that is still a whale in comparison.

Quick Reply: Head studs an issue on a '77 2.7?