Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

SC sunroof-delete question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 01:46 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default SC sunroof-delete question

I'm curious how common/uncommon the sunroof-delete option was on the '83 US market SC. Did "standard equipment" normally include the sunroof option, requiring the purchaser to specifically order the delete option? I've seen lots of sunroof delete Euro SCs ... but don't recall seeing many US SCs w/o a sunroof. Any knowledge/background you can provide is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 127 Posts

No, the sunroof was extra but the vast number of SCs were produced with them. My 1977 (which I ordered) was without a sunroof--it was too expensive for me at the time. Perhaps it's living a life anew as a race car somewhere!
Old 01-24-2009, 08:06 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
the vast number of SCs were produced with them.
That's consistent with my informal survey. Thanks Dan. I'm guessing Porsche produced almost exclusively sunroof models for the US market ... maybe because they made a little more money on each car that way. But if that's the case, I wonder why we (in the US) seem to have a much higher percentage of sunroof delete Euro SCs? Hmmmm. A mystery. Was there a strong objection to sunroofs by European buyers? Somebody out there should be able to shed some light on this for me. I'm also curious what rough percentage of US market SCs had the sunroof ... and what percentage did not. 90/10? Anybody have any idea?
Old 01-24-2009, 08:26 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,101 Likes on 786 Posts

mine wasn't .. i must have a rare one ..
Old 01-24-2009, 08:43 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
mine wasn't .. i must have a rare one ..
OK, I see you have a Targa. Not applicable.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:18 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Nobody out there can help?

Last edited by dave morris; 01-25-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:32 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My cab doesn't have one either.

abe
Originally Posted by dave morris
OK, I see you have a Targa. Not applicable.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:44 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by dave morris
Nobody out there can help?
Not sure what other help you need? Dan pretty much answered your question. Not many Coupes came to the US without a sunroof. 90/10 is high I'd guess...less than that. Call PCNA, that's the only entity that would have hard data, but they probably won't take the time to research.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:48 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Not sure what other help you need?
Thanks Ed. Yes, I knew that very few US market SCs coupes came with the sunroof delete option. Almost ALL of them seem to have sunroofs. I agree with you ... probably more than 90%. Maybe 99%?

What I was hoping to get was 1) an informed/better fix on the actual percentage (and I agree PCNA probably wouldn't be terribly motivated to research this subject for me) ... and 2) the background music. Sunroof delete was apparently quite common on the Euro (ROW)SC ... and the exact opposite was the case with the US market SC where the sunroof delete option was apparently so uncommon. But WHY. I'm sure there is a good explanation ... I just don't know what it is.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Well, considering estimates of 1/2 of US Porsches going to the SoCal market, the "why" portion is probably weather related. A sexy European sportscar with a sunroof probably appeals to the masses. The more drive-oriented enthusiasts are the ones that opted out of a sunroof, radio delete, etc.

If it wasn't for the US Market, Porsche probably never would've caved in to cup holders.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:29 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Thanks Ed. You may be right. My guess is that Porsche made more money on the sunroof model and simply stocked the dealerships with sunroof coupes. Easier to buy one off the showroom floor w/ a sunroof than wait for manufacture/delivery of a sunroof delete coupe. Just speculation though.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:40 AM
BlackPearl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Well, considering estimates of 1/2 of US Porsches going to the SoCal market, the "why" portion is probably weather related. A sexy European sportscar with a sunroof probably appeals to the masses. The more drive-oriented enthusiasts are the ones that opted out of a sunroof, radio delete, etc.

If it wasn't for the US Market, Porsche probably never would've caved in to cup holders.
+1. I'd have to agree. Americans have made the bulk of Porsche sales world-wide - something like 48% of all vehicles sold per build/model - until very recently (beginning with the Cayenne - yeesh!). Porsche wanted to consider things like power windows, sunroofs, etc., for the "more discerning" Americans (read: "cushy-wussy") vs. the "Euro-Motorhead-race-enthusiast" European market. So, the bulk of the import base seemed to be with the "cush" built-in.

That's my personal take and not necessarily based on anything factual ... just oberservation over the years.

So the bulk of the 911SC, 84-89 Carrera, 964's, 993's and on are with sunroof in America's Porsche market. (I find it ironic that a deletion of a feature is a paid-for option. Kind like: "Okay; you've opted not to have gold-inlaid carpeting. That will cost you extra.")

Just my thoughts... others may disagree.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:46 PM
whiterabbit
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am originally from the UK and the cars cost a lot more there than the US already and the sunroof was an expensive optional extra on top which I am sure a Lot of people just didn't want orc ould afford. The people that did want a sunroof probably bought a Targa instead anyway. Gernerally in Europe people want less comfort extras than in the US.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:32 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 127 Posts

Another added note,--along with Whiterabbit's observations on European economics,--keep in mind that the weather in Europe discourages any thoughts of owning a sunroof. If they are thinking in that direction, they went straight to a Targa.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:53 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whiterabbit
I am originally from the UK and the cars cost a lot more there than the US already and the sunroof was an expensive optional extra on top which I am sure a Lot of people just didn't want orc ould afford. The people that did want a sunroof probably bought a Targa instead anyway. Gernerally in Europe people want less comfort extras than in the US.
Interesting. Personally I wonder why ANYONE would even want a sunroof. Much less pay EXTRA for it. While the weather argument might be plausible, I doubt it's even half the story. Whiterabbit's economic explanation sounds more logical to me. But what do I know.

Quick Reply: SC sunroof-delete question