Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

SC sunroof-delete question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 10:58 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche's marketing department kept close tabs on what the competition was doing with their cars. If sunroofs were included on competitors cars in the US market, Porsche may have decided to follow suit...
Old 01-31-2009, 03:45 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

It might be worth mentioning that there was a significant difference in the configuration of cars for the USA market than the Euro market back in those days. Even today, in the USA the prices of these cars (new) is substantially subsidized and Americans are benefiting from this by being able to drive a 911 for a lot less. in the 70s and 80s often the Europeans were getting a 4-speed tranny while in the USA the 5-speed was thrown in for nothing more. Europeans had to pay more for the 5-speed. Option price lists vary from from country to country.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:59 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very good points.
also keep in mind that the Importer (PCNA) & the Dealers ordered most of the US production months in advance. there is greater profit margin on options than on the base car itself... so loading up w/ every possible option that fits the market profile (customer desires + marketing efforts to exploit customer proclivities) was a highly desirable thing to do - also helping compensate for the "US market / factory-subsidized price schedule" compared to the Euro market 911s. {PAG has always been savvy when it comes to currency exhange} +, "If you prefer a low-priced car that says Porsche on it, sir, allow me to show you this 914/924/944..." usually worked, too.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:06 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

My 88 Club Sport did not have a sunroof, but I paid for it. Just like the electric windows and AC that were paid for but not delivered! Too bad they did not put a hotter engine in it for that extra price!
Old 01-31-2009, 04:32 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of the few sunroof delete cars I have seen, they also lacked other options like cruise, leather, power windows and I remember them all having the 15 inch fuchs instead of 16s. Possibly the "why" question was an estimate of the market appeal by Porsche combined with assembly line logistics that made it easy to delete a luxury, or deluxe "package. I mean stuff like circuit electrics, switches, etc. were easier to produce in numbers dedicated to a production "lot". Again, I know this may not address your question directly, but one must remember the ancient assembly-line technique Porsce used through the late 80s. Porsche admits that the company barely survived 1987-the worst years in the companies history.

Quick Reply: SC sunroof-delete question