Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Clear bra or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 04:27 PM
Mel9114cs
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clear bra or not?

I have a new "black" 911 4c s. I am considering having a clear bra installed on the front 1/4. I live in SF and have been recommended by various people to use Premier in Fremont.

I went to their shop the other day, and asked if I could look around at the cars they were working on. I really put the work under an intensive eye from every angle under their lighting, and must say was very very impressed with their work, and great skills at hiding the seams. I also observed the number of exotic cars far more expensive than the one I have just purchased that had the bra installed.

This is not an advertisement for them, just a genuine concern I have. My point is this.....

Although I would rather not have a clear bra install, I also am too "uptight" about having rock-chips on my beautiful car. I looked at four cars in their shop, but none of them were "black". I understand that "black" cars are the most difficult color to work with, and I am paranoid although they may do a great job, will the front of my car look like a bad paint-job?????

Can I get feedback from anyone who also has a "black" car that has had the same product installed - Thanks.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're uptight about rock chips...clear bra the entire hood and fenders. Why stop at the front 1/4?
Old 01-18-2009, 07:17 PM
DWalker
Racer

Agreed- do the whole front, the rear view mirrors, and the leading edges of any wings etc.

We do XPEL clearbra here and I have had owners who were conerned about using it, but honestly never really understood what they were concerned about- the PPF does no damage to the paint underneath and is easily removed by any knowledgable professional. My wifes BMW was NOT clearbra's and the front of it looks like it was hit with a sandblaster with gravel poured in for good measure. My EVO8 was clearbrad and looks brand new, except for where she backed the BMW into it and even then the paint is fine, the film took all the abuse other than the dent

As far as it looking like a bad paint job, if its a good high-end film- and I really do recommend XPEL- it should be virtually undetectable when the car is clean. When dirty you depending on the install you might be able to see a line or two here or there, but thats it. It wont hide flaws, and it wont make a bad paint job look better, but it doesnt make a good paint job look bad either.
Here in Colorado its almost a given that if you have a nice car, especially a dark car like black, blue, grey, etc you need PPF of some sort.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:21 PM
kcl
Instructor

if you're in Norcal, then you've gone to the right place. I've had 4 cars done with Premier and I am as happy as can be with their service and installaiton. Do it before you get chips.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:12 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen some of Premier's work and also think it is top-notch. I recently purchased a 993 and have already got a few new rock chips on the bumper and hood I'm wondering if it makes sense to install the clear bra now , over the few existing chips, before things get worse, or wait until it gets to the point of needing a front-end respray before installing the clear bra.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:33 PM
kabel_Boxster
Racer

+ it wouldn't hurt to have the car thoroughly and professionally detailed prior to the install of the clear bra.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:27 AM
Mel9114cs
Track Day

Originally Posted by logan2z
I've seen some of Premier's work and also think it is top-notch. I recently purchased a 993 and have already got a few new rock chips on the bumper and hood I'm wondering if it makes sense to install the clear bra now , over the few existing chips, before things get worse, or wait until it gets to the point of needing a front-end respray before installing the clear bra.
Thanks for the feedback. Although it does make sense to have the front bra'd, and I know Premier does great work, it would be good to get feedback from owners of a black Porsche as to how the texture /aesthetics looked after the treatment when viewing the front end of the car comparing to the rest of the vehicle.

When I visited Premier's shop, there weren't any black cars, just lighter colors. Again, their work is excellent, I just need a level of comfort that it will work for me with black.

Thanks...
Old 01-19-2009, 12:58 AM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mel9114cs
Thanks for the feedback. Although it does make sense to have the front bra'd, and I know Premier does great work, it would be good to get feedback from owners of a black Porsche as to how the texture /aesthetics looked after the treatment when viewing the front end of the car comparing to the rest of the vehicle.

When I visited Premier's shop, there weren't any black cars, just lighter colors. Again, their work is excellent, I just need a level of comfort that it will work for me with black.

Thanks...
Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I've also only seen light colored (primarily silver) cars that have been done by Premier. Can't give you any feedback on the way the clear bra looks on dark colored cars, but I'm sure others on this board will chime in shortly...
Old 01-19-2009, 03:48 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

If the chips are not too major, just touch them up before applying the clear bra.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:21 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,107 Likes on 792 Posts

Well look at it this way .. I would imagine even an average Job clear bra ( not saying you will get that ) Will look waaay better than a couple of weeks worth of stone chips on your black car.

for what it's worth a local guy did his entire CGT in the stuff and yes , it was black ... didn't even know it was clear brad until he told me and I went looking for the seams.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:41 AM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a black 89 911 with a freshly re-sprayed hood / fenders and am considering the clear bra as well. Any recommendations for a shop in the Los Angeles area.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:07 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

They did my 997S and as you can see it is dark. I would have the whole hood done as well. I have had several high end detailers remark on the quality. No issues with them....GR
Old 01-20-2009, 01:20 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ajmarton
I have a black 89 911 with a freshly re-sprayed hood / fenders and am considering the clear bra as well. Any recommendations for a shop in the Los Angeles area.
According to Premier's web site, they'll be opening up a location in Southern California in early 2009. Given their reputation for great work, it might be worth waiting for it.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:40 PM
emmros
Instructor

According to Premier's web site, they'll be opening up a location in Southern California in early 2009. Given their reputation for great work, it might be worth waiting for it.

Actually, I see they'll be in your neck of the woods later this month: http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/tour_schedule.shtml

I've had many people see my car and unless you know where to look, it is very difficult to tell there's anything on my cars.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Mel9114cs
Track Day

Originally Posted by GR997S
They did my 997S and as you can see it is dark. I would have the whole hood done as well. I have had several high end detailers remark on the quality. No issues with them....GR
Did you have the whole front end done?

Thanks...

Quick Reply: Clear bra or not?