Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

***HELP*** DECODING

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 08:50 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LOWMILES
Thats funny! Is $31,000 a good starting price?
Depends on a lot of things. For that price you could only sell it to the 'low mileage' crowd. A PPI would have to be done and it would reveal what kind of price is good. Some items wear with age, not mileage. Take a look at your sound pad for example.

Guessing a price from two pictures is almost pointless. Good luck with your sale.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:00 PM
LOWMILES
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sound pad?
Old 01-19-2009, 12:36 AM
jakeflyer
Pro

[/QUOTE]Wow....that interior is red enough to make a Ferrari jealous. Nice car.[/QUOTE]
Thats funny! Is $31,000 a good starting price?
Seems fair to me and I am not real upbeat on the economic situation. You may want to reconsider selling it, if you have any other options at all.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:55 AM
LOWMILES
Banned

Reconsider? Its on ebay now.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:57 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Model 911 340 Whats the 340?"
it's the factory's internal model #, that's all, not an option code. mine (an '87) has the same sequence on the same labels, under the hood & on the window sticker. they simply needed a way to differentiate the many variants & market-tunings. decoded, it likely states "this is a 911 w/ 3.2 engine w/Motronic ignition for the USA."

one can only guess why the underhood label does not contain the complete option manifest. one possibility is that the hood was replaced at some point & the owner went to the effort of acquiring a new label from PCNA or the factory, & the factory did not bother to list the options (other than the one confirming a cat, "CO2", being in compliance w/ US emissions regs). somewhat more likely, the car may have been spl ordered (what dealer would order a bright red interior, "sports" options (but why no LSD?) AND all the luxury stuff, for a car to put on the showroom floor?), & in the build process, the option list #s never made it onto the label... "hey Hans, did you already put the label on the hood? oh well - he's getting what he ordered & it's Friday - let it roll...". Until the end of '89 production, these were hand-assembled cars w/ hand-made errors on occasion.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:26 AM
genripper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

911 340 is the model number fora 911 Coupe. Each body style has a number like that ( although I can't remeber what they are just now).

It's is very strange to me that the sticker does not have any of the option codes other than US emissions-CO2). Does the VIN on the sticker matche the VIN on the car?

If you can, look inside the cover of the red maintenance book, there should be a similar sticker in there, it would be interest ing to see what that says.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:33 AM
LOWMILES
Banned

Thanks guys! In the maintenance book there is the exact code tag. co2 only.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:58 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

The interior on your car is Cancan red. The 340, no idea. My '84 has 340 listed as well so I am thinking it is just a build refererence code.
I suspect that your price may be a decent starting point. Someone may want such a lovely car with that mileage.
On the flip side I have seen low mileage mid '80's Turbos selling under 30K of late. Only takes one......

The other issue is the sticker under the hood. Ked is correct about the lack of info on the sticker. I believe this started in '85 where they did not add the options to the sticker under the hood. My '84 has the options listed on the sticker and my '86 does not. I have looked at '85 cars and did not see options. If someone can correct me then please chime in.

Last edited by cal44; 01-19-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:26 AM
LOWMILES
Banned

Thanks again. You guys are great! You know any good selling point on this other than the obvious? My knowledge is limited.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:28 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

my '87 has a complete list of option codes printed on the underhood label... most 911s (w/ labels) that I've inspected do. again, I suspect a) error/oversight in Stuttgart, &/or b) a distinction related to the nature of the original order & how that was processed... ie; placed by PCNA en mass for general distribution / by a dealership's mgmt / by an individual via a dealership / Euro Delivery. btw, in 911s from years that have the small VIN ("anti-theft") stickers on the doors, hood & eng lid, I confirm they agree w/ the chassis-stamp, A-pillar & driver's door jamb #s (also check for the separate paint code label). It never ceases to amaze me what even long-time owners don't know about their cars.

to get a high price in this market, even for a very nice example, one must market the heck out of the car & be willing to take awhile to find the right buyer (someone's GOTTA have blk/cancan w/ spoilers & heated sport seats + raised hub!). I would contact the original selling dealer & any other dealer who serviced the car extensively to gleen any useful info, PCNA to extract any other info (recall upgrades?) & might even consider buying a Cert of Authenticity. good luck!
Old 01-19-2009, 11:35 AM
genripper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that Cancan red or Lipstick Red? There was a very red red like this, and a more orangey, lobster red color too, I could never keep them straight.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:36 AM
LOWMILES
Banned

According to other guys here its Cancan.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:37 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Thanks Ked. These 3.2 cars are the best IMHO. I like to keep getting more info as it does not appear that all facts are set in stone. Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LOWMILES
there's a crap load of options on this car. Look at window sticker in my previous post. Im puzzled because the tag doesn't show any of the codes. Maybe the 340 is a pkg and the c02 wasnt part of the pkg.
Sure, there are options listed, but as noted, nothing really out of the ordinary for that year. For instance-
16" forged alloy wheels (Fuchs)
Sunroof (not many didn't have this-rarer when they don't)
Leather interior (pretty popular)
Power seats (again, pretty popular-maybe 50% or more have them?)
Cassette radio (popular)
etc, etc.

I'm not slamming this car-it looks great-just pointing out that it isn't rare or special based on the options.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:30 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

That Red interior looks like mine in my 88 Carrera.............Lipstick Red. Says so on my COA.

Quick Reply: ***HELP*** DECODING