Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Frt Pan/Battery Area 71 911 Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 01:32 PM
N882928
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Frt Pan/Battery Area 71 911 Repair?

I'm looking at a 71 911. Rust is minimal except in the battery area. I am guessing this would be the frt pan? This area is rusted through and I know it will need to be cut out and replaced. I think I have seen this pan for sale online. I would not trust myself to do the repair so I would send it out if I end up buying the car. So the questions are: Do you think this car can be saved? How hard would this repair be? Cost est. to replace this area? At what point is this area unrepairable (if any, ie. the rust has gone too far into ___)? I know the frt. arm attachment points are near. I am thankful for any input/ opinions. I tried to do a search on this and did not come up with much. I know this has to be a common problem. Is the search function working OK?
Old 01-17-2009, 05:09 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

It is common but can either be easily fixed or more than likely bigger than you can see. Luckily you have an expert in this area close to you in Plain city. His name is ED Pimm and his email is eprpimm@aol.com
He can tell you more in detail what to look for as well as fix it for you at a reasonable cost.....
Old 01-17-2009, 10:41 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Truthfully, asking opinions on cost, etc is pretty futile without posting any pics.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:49 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A front pan is an involved job when done correctly. Get it fixed and the car will be much better off as well as its handleing. Depending on how bad it is you can expect some down time. The replacement pans may have different supports than the stock in the area of the front control arm mounts. This will not make a repair go right or wrong-just look at everything in advance and plan on this being a permanant repair. While on the lift carefully inspect the boxed in rockers and get them done at the same time. It could easily change the way the car feels to you-for the better.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:51 AM
N882928
Intermediate

Thanks guys. I think I know Ed's shop but I've never been there. I might drop him a line. The kind of rust on this car is deffinitly not a spot repair. This would be the entire frt pan, from fender to fender. But it sounds like it can be done especially by people who know what they are doing, such as Ed. I'll probably put an offer on the car. If it works out I'll post some pics. I think it is sound other than this area and could be a good find. Thanks again
Old 01-18-2009, 01:40 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

What you are now describing sounds like a major amount of rust damage, instead of just a section or piece removed and a new section welded in place. An entire front pan will cost a good bit more for the complete repair, but if it needs it, it should get it. You are correct about the A-arms mounting points being on the front pan. If the damage is that severe, I don't know that I would be doing much driving around in it before the repairs are made. Good luck!! Tony.

Quick Reply: Frt Pan/Battery Area 71 911 Repair?