Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Help! Erratic Idle w/ Clacking noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 08:06 PM
VTCMart
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Erratic Idle w/ Clacking noise

Hey guys could use some help with odd problem.

'82 SC, once it gets warmed up seems idle hunts from 400-1100 rpm constantly. When driving it will die shifting (press clutch, idle drops to 0 kills car, BAT light also blinks on when this happens). Also clacking noise coming from driver side engine compartment in tune with RPM's surging up and down. Haven't done anything to it recently besides new alt belt. (I haven't even driven her 100 miles since I got her so this could have been an existing intermittent problem). Any pointers in the right direction GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:28 PM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

Crackling Noise, I recently changed my belt and it was too loose and heard crackling/ratling noise.

I started with 5 shims in then down to 3 in 3 out. fixed the noise.

Idle, Sorry here I am 84-86. But it sounds like a she is running too rich check for vacumm leaks, loose or disconnected hoses. Loose oil filler cap
Old 01-16-2009, 10:40 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,114 Likes on 796 Posts

hmmm . i don't think that is a coincidence. did you get a PPi before you bought it ?

i would not start it again until you figure out what is going on. i find it hard to believe that the car is all of a sudden rich and you have a clacking noise. You could have dropped a valve, a broken chain tensioner or any other mechanical problem. i think unless it is something obvious get a leakdown or compresion check , check your chain tensioners or even check to make sure your head studs are all intact.

Better to assume the worse and be pleasantly surprised than assume the best and do more internal damage.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:11 PM
VTCMart
Instructor

Fixed now, seems idle adjustment was too low, causing to stall out after cold start period. She is purring fine now. Noise sounded like valves and quieted down after a bit (still getting use to what is "normal" amount of valve noise from her).
Old 01-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

You shouldn't be getting a bunch of valve noise, even if it "settled down after a bit". You may want to get cozy with the bottom of your engine and your engine compartment and do a valve adjust.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:50 PM
VTCMart
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
You shouldn't be getting a bunch of valve noise, even if it "settled down after a bit". You may want to get cozy with the bottom of your engine and your engine compartment and do a valve adjust.
Yes that is definitely on the list of things to do ASAP, I'm sure it has been a while. I have some receipts from PO for valve adjustment but it was years ago.

PPI was done but it was 40 degrees warmer at that time.

On the bright side brand new brakes are working great!
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2009, 01:58 PM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

Originally Posted by VTCMart
On the bright side brand new brakes are working great!
Great looking Brakes, what kind are they ad do the pads squeel?
Old 01-18-2009, 02:02 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,114 Likes on 796 Posts

Well sounds like it is nothing to serious . But FYi I have a 78 sc and my valve train makes no valve train noises at all. try getting together with another owner if you can. I would hate to see you get used to something that isn't right.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:13 PM
VTCMart
Instructor

Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG
Great looking Brakes, what kind are they ad do the pads squeel?
OE Rebuilt calipers from Vertex I painted myself. Discs are Sebro and pads are Axxis Metalmasters. No squealing, stops straight. Was pulling hard right before but the original caliper seals were busted all the way around on both.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:06 PM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

Nice,

I have OE non drilled Brakes with OE Calipers. I have noticed a bit of fading when I brake hard in from hi speeds. Have you noticed this?

They stop on a dime at emergencies and nominal speeds. I was just wondering if it was just me.

I agree no noise and low dust, relatively speaking though (backs get a bit dust, possibly from road debris too)

Quick Reply: Help! Erratic Idle w/ Clacking noise