Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1969-72 911 w/ 3.2 liter engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 07:43 PM
dmw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1969-72 911 w/ 3.2 liter engine

Does adding a 1985-89 engine to a 1969-72 era 911 have a positive or negative effect on its value? I would like the extra power but something tells me that "all numbers matching" cars may be worth more. What do the experts here think? What is the right price for a good driver in this year range with no rust and in generally good condition?
Old 01-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If a car is true collectible then any changes are going to have a negative impact. If someone wanted an original what would they have to spend to change the car back? That will effect the value and also have a negative effect on the buyers attitude toward the car. Rule of thumb: Whatever you spend to modify the car can be subtracted from the value.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

As long as any of the changes/modifications can be reversed/restored, no harm, no foul........

Its all about what each person wants, but the quality of such modifications is really what makes the difference in value......
Old 01-16-2009, 08:21 PM
Todsimpson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's an interesting thread on the early S board that tracks some of these modified early cars as they are being sold.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=14010

BTW, if you take a $15K 911T and do a $10K 3.2 swap, you have not created a $5K 911T....you've probably created a $17-$20K 911T.

Keep the original engine then, should you ever want to sell. A decent 3.2 also won't be hard to sell should the time come.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:07 AM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I would say it depends on the conditon of the car you start with. If it's a clean, original, stock car I would think changing the engine would lower the value. If it's a modified car to begin with or the original engine is in bad shape then a correctly done 3.2 conversion should raise the value. What is the intended use of the car? For a driver a 3.2 could add power/economy/reliability. OTOH there are many problems you could encounter with a poorly done conversion. My '77s has a 3.2 and it's great with respect to power. But (and there's always a but) I'm currently sorting handling issues with the stock rear suspension and skinny tires trying to cope with the added weight of the 3.2 in the rear. I would say if it's a nice car keep it stock. If the motor's shot and the car is not a pristine example then go for the conversion. It's hard to assign value because different owners have different wants in a car. The general rule for the longhoods in my opinion is that stock will always be more valuable then modified.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:08 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think a 3.2 in an early car is a tastefull and attractive upgrade if done correctly. The '72,'73 cars will take the 915 gearbox and that vastly simplifies the upgrade. Getting a 915 into an original 901 car takes some modifications to the tunnel. Not at all impossible, just more work. Also if the conversion is done with the upgraded suspension of an SC (alu. front, rear arms,brakes etc) it works well. If the conversion has already been done I like to see a properly done oil cooler and engine electrics. This will include the harness and rear fuse panel from a donar, as well as fuel pump/filter.
When done correctly it is a sizable but awesome upgrade. I am a purist, but this is generally an acceptable upgrade if you start with a good car to begin with as stated above. I would encourage this conversion as the resulting car can be an amazing performer and I would pay a premium for a car like this. I have a lot of experiance with two such cars and can tell you it is hard to get this much Porsche experiance/performance short of an RS.
Go check out the R gruppe and early S registry.
Man I start shaking at the idea and possibilities of an early car with a 3.2.
Sorry, I guess I should address the original post-no, this type of conversion should add value in my humble opinion. But, I am not the normal Porsche kinda guy. I am from the same bunch of bananas as the R-Gruppe guys.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:59 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It would probably be alot less work to back date a 84-89 carrera to a long hood than update a long hood. Let's face it , your talking about transferring the wire harness, susp, brakes, engine, trans....... ummm not much is left...... It's alot easier to remove wgt from a newer car than to do all of the above to an older car. And it's 100% galvanized.

Quick Reply: 1969-72 911 w/ 3.2 liter engine