Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

2.7L to 3.0L Conversion - Help Pls

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:01 PM
ricks911s
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.7L to 3.0L Conversion - Help Pls

After quite a bit of thought, I've purchased an 81 3.0L engine to mate to my 1976 915 transmission. I've searched and searched and tried to gather as much info as possible for the conversion. However, even so, I still have many quesions/concerns.

With the engine comes the SC Tachometer, Flywheel, Computer/Lamda, Ignition, Harness. All updates have been done and compression and leakdown look great.

(1) I'm unsure whether to buy the appropriate 81 3.0L fuel pump or to retain/use my 2.7L pump. Folks seem to go either way.
(2) Fuel line adaptation -- After looking at the fuel lines from my model car and with the engine I'm going to put in, does anyone know (a) what specific lines I need to purchase, and (b) if there are any other fittings I need to purchase to make this work?
(3) Oil line adaptation -- My understanding is that I may have to adapt the oil lines. I do not have a front-center or passenger wheel well mounted oil cooler. Do I need to do this right away? Are there any other lines/adapations I need?
(4) Adapting lamba/computer is a daunting task. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.
(5) My understanding is that the clutch from my 76 915 will mate to the 81 flywheel . . . am I correct?
(6) Anything I missed?

Thanks in advance gents. Posted car . . . can't wait to get her on the road.
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2009, 11:05 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome, great picture

You have come to the right place. The right guys come and go often.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:30 AM
robrichtx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as the oil cooler goes, I would recommend one. My 77 3.0 litre has the trombone style oil cooler, and it does not provide enough cooling to keep the engine oil temps where they need to be. I can't see where you're located, but I see a live oak - south US? For an ambient temperature guage, my cooling system performs adequately when it's in the 60s or below. Anytime it gets into the 70s, it can get too hot. 85 and above -it's not if, but when it gets too hot.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:20 PM
ricks911s
3rd Gear

From Sacramento . . . so it definitely gets 100+ in the summer. Thanks for weighing in on the oil cooler. Looks like that is something I'll spend/save $$ for.

Can anyone else chime in on specific engine adaptation quesitons?
Old 01-26-2009, 07:44 PM
ricks911s
3rd Gear

Default Update 1

Update 1:

Okay guys, I've arranged for a pickup truck and for a hoist so I can put the engine in. I've also made some great headway with the help of a few other guys in creating a parts list and answering the questions I had earlier. My big concern is getting all of the parts I need, and understanding how to mesh the electronics from the 3.0 with my '76 chassis. Here is a list of parts that I think I will need:

Parts List:
(1) SC Fuel Pump
(2) Fuel line adaptation from Fuel Pump to Accumulator (changes from 2 port - '76 to 3 port - '81)
(3) clutch (will reuse my '76 Sachs, but need new hardware - see below)

(4) Resurface '81 flywheel
(5) new flywheel bolts
(6) new clutch pilot bearing
(7) new crankshaft seal behind flywheel
(8) tools for the clutch/flywheel: flywheel lock, clutch alignment tool, flywheel bolt tool, breaker bar

Do I need any other parts?

With respect to my questions above:

1- I think I'll opt for the SC fuel pump

2- I need to change the lines to/from the fuel accumulator. Someone mentioned that I can just plug the 3rd port. Is this correct? Or can I adapt another line?

3-I want to try and reuse the clutch pack and pressure plate. What parts should I inspect or replace?

4- Thanks to another guy, I believe I have a template for understanding what the terminals in the big 14-pin connector coming out of the back of the SC motor will be. I do need to figure out how to adapt this to work with the '76 chassis. He listed the plug pin locations as follows for his '80 SC (Looking at the back of the plug, with the wires coming out the bottom, the numbering of the pins is from the top left (#1), then top right (#2), working down to the bottom right hand pin (#14)). Here are the pin numbers, colours, and purpose of the wire, for his ‘80Sc 3.0:

Pin # Colour Purpose
1. yellow starter solenoid
2. no wire connected
3. grn/blk oil temperature sensor
4. grn/red oil pressure sensor (for oil pressure indicator)
5. grn/yel Backup light switch
6. grey Backup light switch
7. no wire connected.
8. no wire connected
9. grn/wht oil pressure switch (for idiot light)
10. red/wht power for WUR, temperature valve, supplementary air valve
11. blu (x2) from” D+” terminals on regulator and generator
12. blk/vio from ignition box, to tach (tach signal)
13. yel/blk heater fan motor power
14. red generator output.

How can I find out what the pins on my corresponding chassis harness connection mean? And how can I adapt this to work?

5- Discussed under 3-8 above.

I could really use some help on this one. Thanks in advance guys.

Quick Reply: 2.7L to 3.0L Conversion - Help Pls