Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

STALLING OUT

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:52 AM
ernie944
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default STALLING OUT

A while back I had posted that my SC had died it ended up being the CD Unit I had it rebuilt, it seemd fine for a while now I have had to exchange it 3 times it keeps going bad I do have a good back up one out of my buddies SC that i can plug in right away and the car starts up and runs with no problem. My question is there something that my car could be caousing the other Cd boxes to go bad or just not a good rebuilt.

Thank you

Ernie
Old 01-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the voltage from your alternator?
Old 01-16-2009, 01:41 PM
ernie944
Instructor

I will check it tonight and post it for you, but I have being running my friends box in the car for the last 2 weeks, even autocrossed the hell out of the car past 2 weeknds and I dont have a problem with his box so I dont beleive it could be a charging system issue

Ernie
Old 01-16-2009, 11:45 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,101 Likes on 786 Posts

COULD YOU NOT CHANGE TO AN msd ? /.. oops caps lock .. sorry
Old 01-17-2009, 03:16 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

There are often two indications if your alternator is overcharging the battery.

Three, if you count the "out-gassing" odor.

1) The brake failure indicator will sometimes illuminate and you must disconnect the battery to reset it.

2) The RPM limiter will sometimes detect a (non-existent) engine overspeed condition, picking up the fuel pump shutdown relay. Due to the battery over voltage the limiter latches up, requiring the ignition be entirely switched off .

The engine restarts each time but will soon shut down again with the detection of tehe next non-existent overspeed. Also, the engine cannot be "bump", pushed started, until the ignition has been switched off to remove the rev limiter latch condition.

Since it is the CD ignition that is generating "false", TO FAST, plug firings, again due to the over voltage condition, many technicians will replace the CD ignition thinking that to be the problem.

Oh, due to the wiring distance from the alternator to/from the battery, even a slight additional resistance, loose engine/chasis connection, corroded battery terminals, the resulting alternator over-voltage "spikes" can case the CD ignition to generate TOO many firings, and then....
Old 01-19-2009, 04:04 PM
ernie944
Instructor

UPDATE, turns out that it was a defective component in the rebuilt unit, claims he had a bad batch of them,
but as posted earlier a have a good used unit that I use while the rebuilt is down and that unit doeasnt have any issues so, By the way the vehicle chargin system is good no overcharging or anything like that. Iceman: as far as a MSD I have thought about it for a while but I want to keep it all stock if I can, but believe me if I keep having problem swith the unit I will go MSD.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:06 PM
ernie944
Instructor

Houptygt: what color is that vehicle in your avatar, looks like mine I dont know what the color is called but its paint code 463

Ernie
Old 01-19-2009, 04:11 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,101 Likes on 786 Posts

I am with you . i want my car all stock too. I wil only go to MSD if I have to.

Quick Reply: STALLING OUT