Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Replaced Turn Signal Stalk...Now Headlights Don't Work

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:57 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Turn Signal Stalk...Now Headlights Don't Work

I replaced my turn signal stalk today because the old one was broken and the high beams kept coming on by themselves.

Tried everything out and now the headlights don't work.

I checked everything and it seams that I am not getting voltage through the headlight switch (connection no. 56). If I bypass the headlight switch (power straight from key switch to turnsignal stalk) the headlights work.

So I guess the headlight switch needs to be replaced now. Why would that happen though? Could something have gotten damaged when I removed the headlight switch to install the turnsignal connections?
Old 12-30-2008, 09:08 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

On 20+ year old components, nothing surprises me when they are unhooked or moved around during work being performed. Or wires/connectors disintegrating.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:59 AM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Hopefully that's it. Waiting for my replacement headlight switch now.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:41 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing to add but noticed this is an all-Targa thread so far. Good luck though!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:25 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt: Are you absolutely sure that you connected the wires between the stalk switch and headlight switch correctly?

(Targa here, too!)
Old 01-03-2009, 09:34 AM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by scottb
Matt: Are you absolutely sure that you connected the wires between the stalk switch and headlight switch correctly?

(Targa here, too!)
Pretty certain. There were only four connections from the stalk to the headlight switch. I wrote down each connection number and wire color before I removed anything. And I double checked it.

When I bypass the headlight switch, the headlights work. And the high/low beam switch works too.

I have a new headlight switch on the way. So I guess I will know for sure if that is the problem when I replace it.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:35 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuse?

Disclosure: My buddy owns a '89 Targa...
Old 01-03-2009, 11:55 AM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by canysmc
Fuse?

Disclosure: My buddy owns a '89 Targa...
I checked the fuses too. All are good.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Did you pull out the headlight switch when you installed the combi
switch in order to access the wires more easily? The reason I ask is that I am thinking maybe you did and when you twisted the headlight switch **** off you didn't hold the shaft still while you did. If the shaft gets twisted too much the contacts inside the switch can be ruined. This is why there is a hole in the shaft so you can hold it still with a small pick or something. If you didn't remove the headlight switch, I'd say double check your wiring against the wiring diagram, it's pretty easy to mess up.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:05 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Droops83
Did you pull out the headlight switch when you installed the combi
switch in order to access the wires more easily? The reason I ask is that I am thinking maybe you did and when you twisted the headlight switch **** off you didn't hold the shaft still while you did. If the shaft gets twisted too much the contacts inside the switch can be ruined. This is why there is a hole in the shaft so you can hold it still with a small pick or something. If you didn't remove the headlight switch, I'd say double check your wiring against the wiring diagram, it's pretty easy to mess up.
I did take out the switch and didn't realize there was that pin thing in there until after I had been turning it. So I'm thinking maybe I did damage the switch. I hope at least that's it.

However, I noticed today (I guess I didn't realize before because it was light out) that everything is really screwy.

In position no. 1 (off) the interior gauge lights are on.

In position no. 2 (parking lights) everything is on as if it was on position no. 3 (headlights).

And in position no. 3 (headlights) only the parking lights are on and the interior lights are off.

I'm hoping this is just the internals of the switch being screwed up.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:25 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Maybe it did get buggered up.

However, I have to say that I've been hand tightening my switch **** for about 7 years now. I've literally never taken the time to tighten it properly, and every time I turn my headlights on, I tighten it while driving. Based on this, you'd really have to work hard to break the thing.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:20 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Maybe it did get buggered up.

However, I have to say that I've been hand tightening my switch **** for about 7 years now. I've literally never taken the time to tighten it properly, and every time I turn my headlights on, I tighten it while driving. Based on this, you'd really have to work hard to break the thing.
I do the same.

However...I'll admit my stupidity here.

When I was taking off the headlight switch the plastic screw on ring that holds it in place was really tight. And I didn't have any type of spanner wrench to fit in those holes.

I thought, "well maybe if I turn the headlight switch by the stem I could loosen it that way". I tried it once, it moved slightly and I thought better of doing it that way.

I took an awl, stuck it in one of the holes and lightly tapped the plate in the loosen direction. That worked and was what I should have done to start with. But the damage may have already been done.

To be honest, I hope I did break it. Otherwise I'm going to have to electrically trouble shoot the problem to try and figure it out.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:54 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

So as an update.

I replaced the headlight switch today and everything is back to normal.

Just for fun I tested the connections on the old switch and they were all messed up. I must have really f'd the switch up when I removed it.

Quick Reply: Replaced Turn Signal Stalk...Now Headlights Don't Work