Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

A Proper Paint Job?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:35 AM
CaliCarrera
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default A Proper Paint Job?

I started with the idea to of a small touch up on the hood, which lead to the thought of painting the entire hood, which lead to consider a total repaint.

My concern, besides the costs, is that it doesn't sound like you can get a quality, long lasting paint job with all the regulations perticularly in California. I believe one of the shops told me that they are regulated to use waterborne paints. I can't imagine how this could be as good as the original painting method.

Does anyone have any experience with painting a car?

Last edited by CaliCarrera; 01-15-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:37 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

I think technically they are waterborne (as opposed to water-based) paints. Many OE paint jobs (including Porsche) are waterborne now. Germany also has strict laws in this regard.

I don't have any deep technical knowledge, but it does seem that there are quality waterborne products out there that do produce good, durable results. May not be quite at the level of the best solvent-based products, but certainly close.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:52 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, every time you wash your car some of the paint comes off. Actually its a great system, but difficult for some shops to adjust too. Less paint, but overall a better product. I think they may still clear the car w/a traditional product.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:22 PM
DWalker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no real difference between a waterborne base and a conventional solvent borne system once dried and clearcoated. Even a solvent borne basecoat (like the DBC I use quite often) must be cleacoated or will simply dust right off and wear away.
If I were to make a recommendation I would suggest the following:

PPG K36 or similar primer/sealer
Auto Air basecoat
PPG or similar intermediatte clearcoat
PPG or MetalStorm NANO-Clear final coat.

IMHO the best money you can spend, especially on a dark coloured car is to pay for the NANO clears. Mercedes has been using this technology since 2004 and it is an extremely scratch and chip resistant clearcoat. Once set for 7 days after being laid down it is almost impossible to cut/buff with traditional methods, which is why a lot of traditional body shops, especially bodyshops that do collision work, either dont or wont use it.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Don't sweat it, just be prepared to spend $5-8K for varying levels of a good paint job.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:50 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Don't sweat it, just be prepared to spend $5-8K for varying levels of a good paint job.

I'm about to have my '83 SC re-painted ... the right way. All glass will be removed as well as the doors, deck lid, hood and bumpers. It will be re-painted in the same color and when put back together all new rubber seals and gaskets will be installed. Additionally new decals in the engine. The shop rough estimated $6000 but I figure more like $7000 + but it will be done right. The car is not original, by any means but more of an RS clone inside and out including an upgraded suspension. It is my retirement toy that will someday be passed on to my son and a good finish will give that final touch and longevity. They said plan on at least three weeks start to finish. I hope we stay inside a month. I plan on taking it to Parade.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:40 AM
CaliCarrera
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the comments. It sounds like you can still get a quality paint job from a quality shop. I thinks Ed is right..dont sweat it and like others, I enjoy tinkering and keeping my car as nice as possible while loving the driving experience.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:35 AM
EliPitta
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son is a painter at a custom body shop in CA, Bay Area, they use Glasurit paint - a waterborne product, they still clear with solvent based product. The shop works on mostly european cars, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche and other high end cars, you do not have to worry about longevity, Europe has been using water borne for years, Porsche and other high end European cars paint with it. Ask the body shop how long they have been using it, it is a different technique painting with water borne that solvent base, my son spent 2 weeks in LA with Glasurit learning how to properly spray the product. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:45 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is always good to consider the headliner is all the windows are coming out.

Quick Reply: A Proper Paint Job?