Restoration of Blaupunkt Reno SQR46

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Restoration of Blaupunkt Reno SQR46

Looking for some help on restoring my car...88 Carrera Cab

When I bought the car a few years back it had an aftermarket Alpine radio. I have the original Blaupunkt Reno SQR46 radio/cassette deck.

Can I just replace the Alpine or did the Blaupunkt have a special bracket, amplifier, etc?

Thanks,

Geno
Old 01-10-2009, 08:12 PM
981/911
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

In my 88 911 Cab, I recently had to remove my pass seat. Under it was an amplifier which was not connected. It may have said it was for the CD player, I cant recall. Removed it and the wiring to it. I believe the fuse was an independent one under the fuse panel up front. I was marked Radio Berlin. Never understood why they called it this, but would like to know if anyone does.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:19 AM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you wanting to stick the Reno back into the car?
You may just need the original sleeve that the radio slides into the dash and pray to the guy upstairs that the PO didn't rig and cut up your factory harness to accomodate the Alpine receiver.

I got lucky as the PO of my car had cut the speaker wires and pluged them into the amplifier(aftermarket) from the early 90's. He kept the reno in the car but it was running off a suitcase sized 10 disc changer in the trunk, was like 35 LBS of aftermarket electronics

After taking it out I resoldered all the original connections back, sent the Reno back to Blaupunkt to get service since I had no rear speaker sound, now all is good!

For all of you that don't want to cut your factory wiring harness, Crutchfield does sell an adapter for the DIN connector-Part # 120701822
they say they don't no if it works or not..... it does, cheap bastards should include this with all the stereos they sell to us vintage 911 owners.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...+din+connector

I just ordered a new stereo since I am sometimes in the mood to hear music from a Disc or Ipod. I found an old tape from Oingo Boingo when I was like 13 and played it in the car, that was weird......

Good luck!
Old 01-11-2009, 08:39 AM
DL Lawrence
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did the same thing- the Reno fits right into the factory dash opening (of course) and I used an after market standard sized bracket- it fit right in. Fortunately, the wiring was all there for speakers, power, antenna, ground, etc. There was no amp installed in the car, so mine was pretty easy. Now, it's on to the speakers! If you're looking for the original speaker grills, keep a close eye on ebay and the Pelican/Rennlist classifieds- they can be pretty hard to find, I discovered.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 233 Posts

thanks to all...looks like I have the original speakers so hopefully it is just a matter of swapping things out. There is an amplifier in my front trunk so I a m not sure how that will fit into the whole picture.

Quick Reply: Restoration of Blaupunkt Reno SQR46