Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cost for MFI Parts/Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:55 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost for MFI Parts/Installation

I'm sure it's been asked before but I thought I'd ask again based on this new economy we're in...

What would it cost on my '70 911E to get...

(a) all MFI parts
(b) the MFI system rebuilt, up and running

I'd also appreciate a shopping list for all the various components and approx. costs. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:26 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,114 Likes on 796 Posts

Go on the porsche web site look for the exploded diagram of parts. . look at what you need and get the part numers, use google to get some prices from various vendors. the PET ( parts catalog ) is right on line and can be downloaded free from Porsche.
We are here to help but not do your leg work for you. i hope you understand..
Old 01-09-2009, 03:20 AM
8th Gear

No worries, iceman. I'm new to Porsches so I'm just trying to find my bearings having spent the last 20 years with American iron. Regardless, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:01 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

if you have trouble finding the PET let us know , that is where we can help. MFI is not as common any more so info may be limited.
Good Luck
Old 01-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In Excellence magazine, they put a MegaSquirt ECU and all other EFI components to turn a MFI (I believe) car into an EFI for less than $2000 if my memory serves me.

The issue was sometime in 2008.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:22 AM
DWalker
Racer

He is speaking about refurbishing his OEM Mechanical Fuel Injection system, which is a bit specialized and getting harder to find the parts and the people who know how to use them.

BTW, Multi-port Fuel Injection (MFI) is a GM term, and has nothing to do with Porsches

Edit- shouldnt have read your post before I finished my coffee, as I see you know what MFI in Porsche speak is, my apologies
Old 01-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

First, it would help if you "joined" Rennlist. Beyond that, go invest in Bruce Anderson's book. There is a wealth of info there and it will provide some clues about this installation. A word of caution - this will not be cheap nor is it for the faint of heart. You are looking at cam changes, cam tower changes, parts acquisitions and many other modifications. Your desire will drive your pocketbook in ways you could have never imagined. This is not an effort for the faint of heart.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:08 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Toby maybe I am missing something in this whole thing. ( Havig a CIS car car I am unfamiliar )

isn't Manual fuel injection a bunch of linkages . I thought the base engine was the same it was just the fuel injection system that was different. why would his manual fuel injection involve cams and towers. and so on . Is that because the 70 does not have MFI normally ?
Old 01-10-2009, 11:37 AM
DWalker
Racer

A 70 would have MFI normally. What I get from his post is he need to refresh and service it. Of course the car could have been converted to carbs at some point, which makes converting back to MFI an expensive proposition unless he happens to stumble across a box of parts somewhere in a basement.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:55 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The mechanical fuel injection has a drive belt off of the drivers cam shaft, kinda like the power steering on the passenger side of the 3.6 cars. That would warrent the change in top-end hardware. I love mechanical injection. It is not cheap but has all the benefits of carbs and all the benefits of injection at the same time. Throttle responce is amazing. I really like the sound too. If I had to start from scratch, I would consider a set of PMOs with a healthy cam profile. None of these will work if the bottom end is not in good shape.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:46 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Toby maybe I am missing something in this whole thing. ( Havig a CIS car car I am unfamiliar )

isn't Manual fuel injection a bunch of linkages . I thought the base engine was the same it was just the fuel injection system that was different. why would his manual fuel injection involve cams and towers. and so on . Is that because the 70 does not have MFI normally ?
MFI (Mechanical Fuel Injection) is very different from CIS setups. There is a Mechanical Fuel Injection pump mounted on the motor and driven by a gilmer-tooth belt off of the left camshaft. The injectors are threaded directly into the head as opposed to being fitted into the intake runners. The fuel pressures for MFI are much higher than CIS setups. The engine has throttle bodies and butterflies versus the air box and runners on the CIS motors.

MFI and CIS are two very different setups. Good MFI pumps can run up to $1000 (for a 2.7 RS pump). Complete MFI setups routinely go for as much as $3500 - when you can find them. ANd that is not very often.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:04 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

he has a 70 and already hads all that stuff.. but i guess we should wait until he chimes in again .. I thought he just wanted a refresher also ...
Old 01-11-2009, 12:45 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMHO mechanical injection is the only way to go if money is no object. I understand there are some guys out there using it on 3.6 cars and getting great performance. I did a mechanical set up on a 3.2 and it simply screamed.

Quick Reply: Cost for MFI Parts/Installation