Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

RED LINE/Zimmerman------ Consumer Report

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 06:55 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

------------Back to Redline with stuck motormount bolts----------

The SC, unlike the 911S, has the rear motor mount spar bolts threaded into the spar. Rather than take a nut off and pull the bolt out, the bolt is screwed into the spar. If some dingdong over twists the torque or if rust is a factor, removing the bolts is difficult. I broke both sides of the part car when we took out the engine. Attempting to change the mounts in our SC driver, soaking in rust buster and my impact at 120psi had no impact on the bolts and the cheater bar only flexed the spar. I took it over to Marc and presto it was done. I did not think he could get both out without breaking at least one side, but he did.

When I went in he was working on a Weber carb 911 with the worn shaft/airleak problem. He told me he has access to a better Weber redesign carb with a sight glass and roller bearings. Parts are at hand for this carb, unlike some of the older webers. This looks like an ideal upgrade for our SC.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Seems like a large enough impact and/or heat woulda done this at home. What did they use that nobody else could?

That is not a knock on them. I've yet to see a set of mm bolts I or one of my buddys, couldn't extract.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:35 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

a litle heat goes a long way ....

The first time i did mine my impact couldn't get it either, But my 1/2 inch drive set and a big *** breaker bar got her out. I just made sure i paded the area well in case I slipped.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:16 AM
jakeflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a litle heat goes a long way ....

The first time i did mine my impact couldn't get it either, But my 1/2 inch drive set and a big *** breaker bar got her out. I just made sure i paded the area well in case I slipped.
I have a torch and a 4 foot cheater for the 1/2 inch breaker. So I have heat and torque but also a new paint job and I have broken 2 of these already. When I flexed the spar, I quit so that I did not bend or break it. My impact is OK but did not work, Marc has one that is twice what his Snap On impact torques. Better to let him do it than buy a new impact and compressor. and the price was right

We dropped off the 911, drove the 3 miles south to the Queen Mary and had lunch top side. We also went to the wedding chapel where we were married some 40+ years ago. Anyway the total of lunch, gas, Porsche repair and $5 for parking was close to $75.

The point should have been---- IF you have a problem with the SC spar, this is the guy to fix it. IF you are in SoCal.--------------------------- the crashed RS is done and it is lovely.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:22 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

instant on torque was the answer here i think , well worth the 75.00 i would say
Old 02-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Dave: For the SC you want 80W/90 Kendall Three Star GL-5 dino gear oil. And for the LSD you need to contact the manufacturer - if the LSD unit was factory you'd want Kendall LSD additive.

I know nothing about Royal Purple, have never used or sold it - sorry!

No apology needed - welcome to the SC world!
Pete, is this Kendall product (here) the gear oil you were recommending for a 915 with a factory LSD? It appears that the LSD additive is already blended in. Am I reading that correctly?

Toby
Old 02-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Pete, is this Kendall product (here) the gear oil you were recommending for a 915 with a factory LSD? It appears that the LSD additive is already blended in. Am I reading that correctly?

Toby
Hi Toby: Yes, use that Kendall (80W/90 Dino Three-Star), it has a small amount of LSD additive in it, but we've found that there is still a slight possibility of differential chatter during cornering. The LSD additive is truly amazing, and one small bottle (I think it's four oz) is perfect for your application. It will have no impact on "shift-a-bility".

FYI: The additive stinks something awful, make sure you wear latex to put it in the trans, if you get a little under your fingernails you'll be smelling it for days!

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 02-20-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Pete! Glad all is well in the land of fruits and nuts. I'm going on a search for the Kendall product today. Thanks again!

Toby

BTW for those of you in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, you can acquire the Kendall products from Double-C Distributing Company in Carrollton. 972-3232-0120. They also have the additive in the 4 oz container. TBP

Last edited by Toby Pennycuff; 02-20-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:00 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

I assume that you (Pete) would also recommend this brew for a 930 4-speed transmission with a factory LSD?

Quick Reply: RED LINE/Zimmerman------ Consumer Report