Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Clean 3.2 or rough 964?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2001, 04:42 PM
nostatic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Clean 3.2 or rough 964?

I think I know the answer to this one, but I figured I'd ask. I found a great '88 Coupe. As perfect as a 103K mile car can get (although it will need tires in awhile, and it is on the original clutch). We have agreed on a really fair price of $21K.

That being said I finally drove a 964 today and was impressed. A lot more power and refinement (although the AC wasn't anything to write home about). Problem is it seems like to get a clean one I'm realistically looking at mid-upper $20's (unless I wait around for a super deal...which I don't want to do for a variety of reasons).

So even though I think the 964 is probably more the cat's meow to me, I'm thinking I get the '88, drive it, love it, then in a year or so, if I feel the need, I can sell it and pick up a 964. This is my first Porsche, and I'll probably be in a better position to spend some extra money after a few things sort out...plus once I've become a Porsche owner, I'll have more leverage to spend more w/my wife the next time...ha!
Old 08-24-2001, 05:12 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

First, I'd say wait for the 964 (but not rough one), but like you said, you don't have time and for sure, having clean 3.2 is WAAAAYYY better than having nothing, don't you think .

88 is one of the best 911's there is (87's-89's are usually quite high on P-car guys' 'top ten Porsche model' list).

My faf. list: 993, 996, 964, (87-89) 911, rest 911, 928, 914, 944. if we don't consider all special Porsches here ('J.Dean' spider, RS Carrera, 'bath tug' etc. etc.)
Old 08-24-2001, 07:16 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey nostatic,

Well, I know you really want to get into a 911. But, if you like the 964, I would wait until you have the extra $$ to get the one you want. Easy for me to speak objectively, of course, since I've already got mine .

If you buy the '88, it will be that much harder to dig up the extra cash to get the 964 a year from now. First, you lose the money you pay on sales tax--about $1,600 on a $20k purchase in Ca. Then, you lose whatever the difference winds up being between the price you pay for your '88 and what you can sell it for a year from now. Maybe you will be able to sell it for the same price you bought it for, probably not. Even though the car looks really good, it's likely to have unknown bugs. Or things that bother you, but didn't bother the previous owner. So ... maybe you put another $1k-$2k fixing things on the '88 while you own it. Finally, selling a car is always a pain in the **** (at least I think it is), even a nice clean one with nothing to hide/explain.

With regard to the AC on the 964 you drove ... any Japanese economy car will have A/C that blows colder than a 964 or 993. That said, a 964's A/C--when fully functional and charged--does actually work and should make your wife beg for mercy on days when it's not too hot or the sunshine isn't overwhelming.

Well ... that's my $.02 worth. Good luck!
Old 08-25-2001, 12:43 AM
Mrdi
Advanced

Always! Buy what you really want, you end up buying it anyway. If you buy what you really don't want it costs much more in the long run.If you want a 964 then you can afford it, it may just take a little longer.
Kind of like a wife, marry one to fill the gap and see how much that costs.
Albiet cars are cheaper to make a mistake on.
Take your time. A good Porsche is like a good woman... Takes care of a lot of your needs.
Old 08-25-2001, 02:33 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's the deal as I understand it; the choice is between a nice '88 and a ratty 964,and you don't want to wait.

Given this info, the choice seems easy, get the '88 911. Some of the other replies are premised upon your holding out to purchase the 964 of your dreams. Since you don't want to wait, get the '88. Of course, have it checked out first. If it's a solid car, yo won't be disappointed.

Good luck!

Richard
'87 Carrera
Old 08-26-2001, 01:25 AM
nostatic
Instructor

It looks like it is down to two: the '88 w/104K and a '93 C2 w/100K. The C2 is $4K more, and I will see it tomorrow. Sounds like the condition of the two is similar, as is the state of repair (both will probably need clutches in the semi-near future).

If the '93 is clean, I'm thinking the extra $4K is well spent, as both are 100K mile cars and should be similar with regards to stuff needing to be done (although the '88 will be cheaper to fix). Sound right?
Old 08-26-2001, 02:04 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, the 964 will probably cost more to maintain than the '88 Carrera. But, the added $4000 in cost will be worth it because you are getting the 911 model you REALLY want, which seems to be a 964.

Good Luck! Make sure you let us know how it goes!

Jay
90 964
Old 08-27-2001, 12:36 AM
nostatic
Instructor

Well, I looked at the 964 today. It was pretty clean, but it definitely had spent some time outside. The AC did work, and it felt pretty good, but I think it needs a clutch very soon. If you figure in $2K+ for clutch and other small incidentals, it starts getting up there. Comparatively, the '88, while still on the original clutch, felt great, and could probably go a fair amount of miles without replacement. The 964 also didn't feel quite as night-and-day to me. This was probably due to riding in my wife's A8 all day. Any P-car will feel like a harsh roadster compared to that beast...

PPI to come on the '88...the saga continues...
Old 08-27-2001, 06:42 PM
jimhughes
Cruisin'

Wink

heh,

I should get my brother in on this one. He and I bought our 911s about 4 years ago. I went with an '88 Targa, and he got a '92 Coupe. True, his car rode a little nicer compared with mine (shades of grey - not black and white difference), and his 3.6 is more powerful.

The big differences is all the little annoying problems with his car. First the airbag light goes on, then off, then on... Same with the ABS... Ask him about his power steering fluid leak, or the cost for his valve adjustments. He also paid about $5K more than I did, and I think my car was in better shape. My '88 just seems to go and go with normal maintenance. Valve adjustments and tune-ups are cheap in comparison. I'll take the simpler car any day. Please don't flame, it's just my opinion.
Old 08-28-2001, 06:02 AM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm not flaming. Your opinion is valid. I used to export Porsches to europe in the early 90's and have had a lot of Porsches go through my hands. 911's, 928s, 951's, 964's, etc... When I had to choose one to keep, I chose an sc because I wanted no computer, cruise control, power door locks or any of those things. I also wanted no sunroof, but that was next to impossible to find. But after a while, I stripped everything out of the car since I was at the track an awful lot and I wanted the ultimate in feel. Well, after everything was removed, low and behold. Nothing breaks! After that experience, I long for a 73 carrera rs lightweight.

Quick Reply: Clean 3.2 or rough 964?