Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Help in LA/Costa Mesa Area

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 10:46 PM
chrisdaniel1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help in LA/Costa Mesa Area

So the 997 went away 6 months ago and the withdrawal has set in. I think I have found a fun replacement weekend car at Truspeed. I was not initially enamoured with a long distance dealer, but searching the 'List reveals nothing but good things about their operation.

http://www.truspeedmotorcars.com/vas..._stock_no=1661

So is there anyone who could do me a huge favor and lay eyes on the car? I will still get a full PPI, but this would be a great starting point. Recs for PPI also appreciated, Truspeed rec'd Haus of Performance.

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2008, 11:52 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't help you with Laying an eye on the car, but I can tell you, if you don't already know, that these guys have a really great reputation for selling solid cars.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:23 AM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I would call Bruce at Autowerkes in Huntington Beach. Their shop is less ...

than 10 miles from Truspeed. 714-842-2277. I have used him for work before. He runs a very honest and competent facility.

What are you looking for when you say "lay an eye" on the car?

Tony
Old 12-31-2008, 08:56 PM
chrisdaniel1
Advanced

Thanks for the replies. It does seem to be a good place and my contact with them has been great thus far.

"lay an eye" - I would love a close up impression of paint, straightness, quality of mods (since it is not 100% original), interior condition. Hard to see little things on even the best pics. Of course this will show up on PPI, but if someone told me not to bother, it saves the hassle.

But judging by Truspeed's rep, that may not be an issue.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:29 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisdaniel1
So the 997 went away 6 months ago and the withdrawal has set in. I think I have found a fun replacement weekend car at Truspeed. I was not initially enamoured with a long distance dealer, but searching the 'List reveals nothing but good things about their operation.

http://www.truspeedmotorcars.com/vas..._stock_no=1661

So is there anyone who could do me a huge favor and lay eyes on the car? I will still get a full PPI, but this would be a great starting point. Recs for PPI also appreciated, Truspeed rec'd Haus of Performance.

Thanks!
Beautiful car, looks great in the photos. I highly recommend Hergesheimer's for a PPI in that area. They are very thorough and will give you an honest assessment of the car. They steered me away from two cars before I found a keeper. Best of luck with the purchase.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:32 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

+1 for Hergesheimers....GR
Old 01-03-2009, 03:10 PM
Bob Makela
Track Day

Last year I bought my 96 C4S from Truspeed. Good to deal with. Had it shipped up to Vancouver sight unseen primarily because I was so comfortable in my dealings with them over the phone (although that particular salesperson is no longer there). There was a bit of a hick-up when the car arrived in Vancouver. It was supposed to have had a new set of tires but when it arrived it was clear that the tires were far from new. I called the salesman and he agreed that a mistake had been made. He then arranged for a new set of Michellins to be shipped up and also covered the cost of installation and balancing. Class act.
Truspeed recommended Hergesheimer for a PPI. The only thing that Hergesheimer missed was that the front control arm bushings were shot...although I could have just replaced the busings, stock replacement bushings requires replacement of the entire front control arm assemblies, not cheap. Oh and apparently there were signs that in the 12 year history of the car it had never had an alignment done? But nobody's perfect and when it's all said and done Hergesheimer was very good to deal with, knowledgeable and I would use them again. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:35 PM
chrisdaniel1
Advanced

Update: The car is going to Frank Hanrahan at Haus of Performance on Mon. I was impressed so much with Scott at Truspeed I took his recommendation, although he did say Hergesh. were great too. I am told the PPI is so thorough at HOP it takes parts of 2 days.

I am trying to remain unemotional and detached - but pretty much the car is exactly what I would have done in terms of mods, etc. We shall see!
Old 01-03-2009, 07:32 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chrisdaniel1
I am told the PPI is so thorough at HOP it takes parts of 2 days.
Wow, that must be quite the PPI! I recently had my 993 inspected at TRE in Van Nuys, CA and they did the works, including compression/leakdown, etc. and it took about 5 hours.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:41 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

I was at TruSpeed twice on 18 and 20 Dec as I was in California for business. I saw this car both times. Scott showed me the car on the 18th and I was very impressed with the interior of the car. Even thought the mileage was higher than what I was looking for I was still interested in it because the car looked very good. I corresponded with Scott and this is what he said and here's some of his email:

"Not all records, but good documentation. Car has zero oil leaking or seeping, evidence of a fresh overhaul. Trans and gearbox rebuilt in Jan, have record for that. Has factory and aftermarket exhaust. All original paint,very rare for a car this old."
Old 01-03-2009, 11:47 PM
chrisdaniel1
Advanced

Yeah, I thought the 2 day PPI seemed pretty excessive! I mean, if you're going to drop the engine and crack the case open, you might as well rebuild right?!?

Reid Vann in STL took about 4-5 hours for the last one I did here as well.

Good to hear the positive (and consistently good) comments.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:13 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Any news on your PPI. I'm interested in the outcome of your experience with TruSpeed as I'm interested in one of their cars. Send me a PM if you don't feel like posting the results here.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:33 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been to Frank's shop and it's the kind of shop I have no concerns about. Clean and very together. He's a patient and quiet sort of guy who doesn't rush. A nice guy, too. He has a good rep in OC.

It takes him a day. 2 days is a bit of an exaggeration. 2-3 days to get the ppi done but not all that time is actually doing the inspection; he's fairly busy. He's doing a ppi for me this week.

Hergesheimer is good but also a bigger place and maybe not as personal(?) I wanted somebody I could easily talk over things with and Frank fits that profile.

I've seen the car you are considering. It looks great and I can tell you there are no leaks for sure.... it's on the showroom floor and Truspeed's place is very clean and orderly.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:20 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't done one in years, but I remember that a PPi can take 2 days as you'll leave the car overnight so they can do cold compression check or leak down....I forget which.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:14 PM
chrisdaniel1
Advanced

Thanks for the input. Car is with Frank as I post. I will update as more details are known. So far everything has been exceptionally drama-free (not always the case in the past!)

Quick Reply: Help in LA/Costa Mesa Area