Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RoninLB
I bought the ones pelican sells. They are pretty thick. They do work great against big stones thrown off from big rig trick tires though. These look thinner?

the ones I have decrease light output about 10%.

Light output is not a problem for me but retaining new lens optics is.

thx for the info
These are fairly thin, but I think they're well-engineered. Heavy usage in ALMS and Grand-Am. As many of us know, the track can be pretty brutal for flying debris.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:22 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rusnak

My friend who designs lighting has a light meter that measures in candle power. I think it would be interesting to compare the sugar scoops with H4s to Euro H4s, but from a purely subjective standpoint, I did not notice any difference in brightness and distance when I went "Euro".

I wrote above that candle power is related to the bulbs. That E-code vs DOT is related to optics.

but then you figure E-code vs DOT is related to bulb power,

ok.. different strokes
Old 01-05-2009, 04:01 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ronin,

I admit I'm not quite sure if I'm understanding your meaning.

But if someone installs H4 reflectors, the bulbs are all the same right? Pretty much all of them have precision ground reflectors and lenses once you switch to H4 right?
Old 01-05-2009, 04:57 AM
RoninLB
Pro

But if someone installs H4 reflectors, the bulbs are all the same right?

Pretty much all of them have precision ground reflectors and lenses once you switch to H4 right?

H-5 lens are a cheap factory install. Any H-4 lens and bulb is superior as far as I know.

The H-4 bulb type or style is same. Stock bulb watts can be increased. It should be done with some thought on the install.

Same watt bulbs from different manufactures are usually different in quality. The ability to shoot the beam efficently vs a less directed light beam. This usually is due to the quality of filiment windings.

The measurement of power can be done by measuring the total light or a more precision way that measures the ability to efficently light the road for you. Just because both manufacturers' bulb list 65/55 watt does not mean both bulbs are same. Rating regulations suck.

The reflectors should be same for E-code and DOT.

The actual H-4 glass lens is another factor. The optics' ability to aim the light directly where you need it vs a more scattered beam. I find that E-code has a sharper more direct light vs the DOT lens. I would say that Hella is below Bosch and Cibie on same style lens [ie: all lens tested are either E-code or DOT]

If you need headlights only on lighted city streets the issue is moot. You may not need E-code or quality bulbs or more power. If you're driving cross country at limit + 10-20 mph the issue becomes more critical as the most dangerous thing you can do on an dark empty road is over drive your headights. You want to be able to see far enough in the distance to be able to emergency stop.

I have been running E-code Cibies w/ lens protectors, 130/100w Narva bulbs, relays, high heat bulb sockets, and 12 gauge wiring for years. Bosch E-code H-4 would be another option for me. They are quality optics.

different strokes.....
Old 01-05-2009, 11:42 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did the drop in H4 upgrade on my '84.

Spent $80 on the two new lights and the improvement in lighting is well worth the cost.

Keep in mind that the metal headlamp carrier (part number 901-631-103-02) that holds the original sealed beam bulb and these H4 upgrades has been discontinued. When replacing mine, I found one of the metal holders completely rusted and unuseable. I was lucky enough to find a NOS item on eBay... But, you can't just order them from Pelican or your favorite vendor anymore...
Old 01-06-2009, 01:41 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ronin,

Nice information, thanks!

Now I'm going to be looking more carefully at my headlights. And thinking about lenses and bulbs more...hmm
Old 01-06-2009, 01:53 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Ronin,

Nice information, thanks!

I also have a technique for aiming high powered headlights that's kinda like fine tuning over routine text aiming.

let me know when do a serious install.

Quick Reply: Headlights